God hates golf too.

Silentpoet

From the article: "...The tree near where these patrons were hit got sliced up by an unbelievable blast of electricity as well...."

Considering that the most average of lightning bolts, is around 20,000 Amps, all lightning bolts are unbelievable blasts of electricity.  Large bolts are around 50,000 Amps.  Super Bolts are around 100,000 Amps.

When the bolt hit the tree, the current spread out through the ground till it dissipated.  So the ground resistance causes a voltage drop proportional to the distance. 

If you stood with your feet one foot apart, you would have X volts from one foot to the other.  If you stood with your feet two feet apart, the voltage through your feet would be about 2 times X volts.  And so on.

It's not nice to tempt Mother Nature!

• Like 3

I hate golf.

Why is quiet so important in golf but no other sport? The ball is just sitting there, he doesn't have to sneak up on it. In baseball, pitching is often near 100 MPH, but the batter, ignoring screaming fans, must hit the ball as it flies past him.

Edited by Paul53
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I suppose I should elaborate on my post on the current in lightning.

Lets say that the ground resistance is 10,000 Ohms for 1 foot of distance.  Then, let's say your feet are one foot apart.

E (Voltage) = I (amps) times R (resistance)

Since the current is spreading out in all directions and we started with 20,000 Amps,  lets assume that between your feet over the 1 foot distance, the current path = 100 Amps.

Then, E (voltage) = 100 Amps X 10,000 Ohms.

The voltage between your two feet is 1 Million Volts.  So your shoes may have rubber soles, but in the grand scheme of things, your screwed!

Let's say the current is 10 Amps, then your still screwed because the voltage is 

100,000 Volts and your rubber soled shoes are still nothing.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

"Why is quiet so important in golf but no other sport?"

In golf you are allowed 40 or 50 seconds to stand there and look at the ball before you have to hit it. You can think about it while you're walking up to it, but the clock starts when you get there. Anyway, the ball just sits there and laughs at you. It's not moving, just sitting patiently waiting for you to screw up. There are no excuses for a bad shot, the ball is just sitting there. The pitcher didn't throw a curve, a rock in the infield didn't cause a bad hop. It's just sitting there.

The stress in golf comes from the dead quiet. If the crowd could make noise the golfer wouldn't have to listen to the ball laughing and sneering, daring you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

So you'll always have an excuse for a bad shot.

I'll accept that a well timed fart or burp  might be disruptive, but these golfers are pansies. The most delicate operation on a human body will have the surgeons favorite tape playing loudly in the background. The cockpit of an aircraft as a pilot approaches an airport through clouds, hoping to break into a clear area at a safe margin has multiple differing sounds, including alarms. Just a few examples requiring far more abilities than hitting a ball with a stick!

Edited by Paul53
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It appears to me there are more good pilots than good golfers. It's hard to compare sports because the skills are sport specific. Even Michael Jordan couldn't hit a curveball. 

I don't play golf, but did play badly for a few years some 40 or 50 years ago. I was a much better center fielder and leadoff hitter. Golf is plodding and deliberate, baseball tests your ability to react. The crowd noise masks the little negative doubts in your head. Golf exposes them.

It's not just golf. Some tennis tournaments still enforce quiet. They don't call them spectators for nothing.

• Like 1

Golf is such a pretentious sport!  Everytime I see those overly large golf courses, I can't help to think how great of a hunting spot it could be.  If a hole in one involved popping a rabbit before it got back to it's hole, then sign me up!  Rabbit meat in stew is to die for! 

Edited by Maser
  • Like 1

Gheez it was funny when it happened in Caddyshack........
caddyshack_lightning.gif.fcb7646fee945e163701665adb51116c.gif

Insurance agent I had for awhile survived lightening hit while golfing. No detectable long term effects... except he could no longer buy life insurance. No actuarial data about life expectancies after lightening hits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Maser said:

Golf is such a pretentious sport!  Everytime I see those overly large golf courses, I can't help to think how great of a hunting spot it could be.  If a hole in one involved popping a rabbit before it got back to it's hole, then sign me up!  Rabbit meat in stew is to die for! 

My thought is to get a scatter gun and go "hunting" in the wooded area between the start and finish of each hole. Every time you hear "FORE" watch for a flying ball and have at it!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, janice6 said:

I always thought it would be more fun to push the ball around the fairway with a small caliber firearm.

OMG, great minds and all that,

A buddy and I did that on a 100 yard range. Each threw a ball and then alternately shot at it to get it to the 100 yard line. Loser had to buy the beers that day.

Each of us bought our own beers ; both balls wound up in the rough were they could not be seen. You really could not call them " golf balls " any more.

• Haha 3