Anyone Into R/C Vehicles?

Eric

• Administrators

I’ve got a Traxxas Rustler VXL 4X4. I broke a shock absorber earlier today. It was a spectacular crash. I just stuck an upgraded set of shocks on it and resprung it. This thing is a lot of fun to toy around with. It is fast enough to break parts fairly often, but I enjoy repairing and tinkering with it almost as much as driving it. 

E282A09B-F388-416A-95E1-F7492530F13A.thumb.jpeg.7f7417c8665b05a0b4d5bb97411113ae.jpeg

37021B5C-64E9-4311-92B6-209866488C87.thumb.jpeg.273ad94452cf97680489897b457a0583.jpeg

• Like 1

The Range I belong to backs right up to the Sheriff's training facility. They have a racetrack, a skid pad, a shooting range, and a bigass obstacle course. I was there the other day just to shoot the breeze with some of the old codgers, and we kept hearing this mechanical whirring sound. I looked through the chain link over onto the obstacle course, and there was this little tracked remote control thing with a camera mounted on top, driving all over the course. We went over and got as close of a look as we could, and whoever was driving it, drove it past us. Pretty cool little device. About as big as a push mower.

I know it's not as fast as the hobby grade stuff, but it sparked a bit of interest. I could see something like this, with a GoPro attached, being good for perimeter checks of a property.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, tadbart said:

The Range I belong to backs right up to the Sheriff's training facility. They have a racetrack, a skid pad, a shooting range, and a bigass obstacle course. I was there the other day just to shoot the breeze with some of the old codgers, and we kept hearing this mechanical whirring sound. I looked through the chain link over onto the obstacle course, and there was this little tracked remote control thing with a camera mounted on top, driving all over the course. We went over and got as close of a look as we could, and whoever was driving it, drove it past us. Pretty cool little device. About as big as a push mower.

I know it's not as fast as the hobby grade stuff, but it sparked a bit of interest. I could see something like this, with a GoPro attached, being good for perimeter checks of a property.

If they were really cool, they'd have one of these for perimeter patrol.

While not into RC myself, we've got a RC track a couple of miles from here. It looks to be an old grocery store that someone piled a s-load of dirt into for banking, jumps, etc. They've got a store and repair area as well. We found it by accident one afternoon and spent most of the day watching these little gas powered wonders fly by and on occasion crashing spectacularly. They set it up much like a sanctioned race with standings and everything. It seemed the owners spent as much time repairing and tuning as racing. They all seemed to be enjoying it though. It's a popular place as the parking lot is always packed whenever I drive past.

It looks like a lot of fun, but at a serious expense. The prices in their store (while most likely inflated) seemed to start in the $300 range for a beginner or well used car chassis. No remote, just the car with suspension, tires and engine.

Too rich for my blood.

IMG_20180412_170417029.jpg

• Like 2

I once watched some old dudes with their RC boats,  in a big pond.

BUT THEY HAD THEM FITTED WITH CO2 REPEATING BB GUNS!!!

In rotating turrets!!  They were really sinking each other!

It looked like armor (vs maneuverability) was more valuable than firepower.

They were all cussing each other and laughing maniacally, like a bunch of little kids.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, minderasr said:

I have an old Evader ST sitting a few feet away from me.  Haven't played with it in years.  The batteries are shot.  I keep threatening to get new batteries and fire it up, but life keeps getting in the way.

My first R/C car was an Evader. It was a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

Used to be really into it a long time ago. Still have a Tamiya Hornet. I modded the heck out of that thing back in the day. Trinity Monster Stock motor, custom made battery eliminator circuit, retrofitted it with oil filled shocks, etc. It was still an "intro" kit so never really could place in the top 3 with it, but I had loads of fun trying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

back in the day  friend  of mine i think were about 15   had one .  we built a track on a half acre of land and had races , i never got into it , but it was like real racing ,  i know  we had  tuesdays as test and tune night and friday we had races with classes and charged 5 bucks to race , and just as it blew up  the whole thing  went out of style lol . i do know friggin  parts and  etc cost as much as some car parts  . 

22 hours ago, Geko45 said:

Used to be really into it a long time ago. Still have a Tamiya Hornet. I modded the heck out of that thing back in the day. Trinity Monster Stock motor, custom made battery eliminator circuit, retrofitted it with oil filled shocks, etc. It was still an "intro" kit so never really could place in the top 3 with it, but I had loads of fun trying.

Still have mine.  With all the extras money could buy. 

And the top-of-the-line Futaba controller.  The pistol-trigger kind.

It lost it's new-car-smell after our pitbull actually caught it one day.