My spam folder sometimes coughs out some interesting reading material. Like a list of 50 uses for ammo cans.

pipedreams

"The plastic ammo cans offer durability, the same water-resistant seal and are undetectable to metal detectors. Bury them along a fence line, as most treasure hunters will think the metal detected is part of the fencing system. Items in metal ammo cans can rust, so throw in a desiccant or store your gear in a waterproof bag first to prevent moisture damage to the contents."

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/50-survival-ammo-cans/

17 minutes ago, Bish1309 said:

I've unsubscribed to all spam.

My life if so boring.

As black friday approached, I found a lot of the mailing lists that I'm on for various reasons that I'd occasionally go to their websites decided to start flooding me with adverts.  I don't mind once per week, but when places like Palmetto State Armory sends me 3 or 4 emails in the same day about how it's the last day of a sale, and I have to order by midnight, they end up in the spam folder.  If I want to see what's up I can always go check the spam folder.  Sad thing is, some of these places I actually buy from, and wanted to know when they were running sales, but it was just too much.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bish1309 said:

These are the ones that get me. Yeah, like I'm concerned. Funnier yet, I always see them the next day. Oh darn, just missed.

I get enough crap through my yahoo mail account that if someone starts showing up more than once on the first page, they end up in spam.  A couple sites that never seem to do that get to stay out of the spam folder, like Wideners and SGAmmo because they tend to do only a couple emails a week at most, even if I'm rarely buying from them.  

But yeah, I saw the add about the sale, then the next one about the sale, then the 3 about how the sale was going to end soon...  just too much crap.

(as for the yahoo account, I've had it for decades, I use it for everything not work related, and my work email gets almost no spam.)

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2018 at 7:53 AM, Cougar_ml said:

I get enough crap through my yahoo mail account that if someone starts showing up more than once on the first page, they end up in spam.  A couple sites that never seem to do that get to stay out of the spam folder, like Wideners and SGAmmo because they tend to do only a couple emails a week at most, even if I'm rarely buying from them.  

But yeah, I saw the add about the sale, then the next one about the sale, then the 3 about how the sale was going to end soon...  just too much crap.

(as for the yahoo account, I've had it for decades, I use it for everything not work related, and my work email gets almost no spam.)

I just checked my spam folder.  In the past 3 days Kimber has sent me 9 emails telling me about their sale going on.  

I hear they make good pistols, but if that's what they're going to do with my email address, then there is very little chance I will buy from them, as they obviously (from my perspective) have no concept of respect for a customer or potential customer.

24 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

I just checked my spam folder.  In the past 3 days Kimber has sent me 9 emails telling me about their sale going on.  

I hear they make good pistols, but if that's what they're going to do with my email address, then there is very little chance I will buy from them, as they obviously (from my perspective) have no concept of respect for a customer or potential customer.

Most marketing people are dumb as a hammer.  They think more is better.  I used Expedia once and from then on was getting 3 e-mails a day after I told them to stop so now they are spam.  BestBuy sends one a day at the same time with 5 deal that are actually deals and they are really only good that day.  They seem to get it.  I sort of look forward to that e-mail.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

Most marketing people are dumb as a hammer.  They think more is better.  I used Expedia once and from then on was getting 3 e-mails a day after I told them to stop so now they are spam.  BestBuy sends one a day at the same time with 5 deal that are actually deals and they are really only good that day.  They seem to get it.  I sort of look forward to that e-mail.

Yeah, it also doesn't help that it doesn't really cost anything to send an email.  At least snail mail the company is out a couple cents for each time they send you junk, and you can use it to start fires if you feel like it.  Keeps the mailman somewhat employed as well.

9 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

Yeah, it also doesn't help that it doesn't really cost anything to send an email.  At least snail mail the company is out a couple cents for each time they send you junk, and you can use it to start fires if you feel like it.  Keeps the mailman somewhat employed as well.

How about the one time you buy something from an on line retailer and the next thing you know you are getting a monthly catalog?  Good luck shutting that off.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:26 AM, pipedreams said:

"The plastic ammo cans offer durability, the same water-resistant seal and are undetectable to metal detectors. Bury them along a fence line, as most treasure hunters will think the metal detected is part of the fencing system. Items in metal ammo cans can rust, so throw in a desiccant or store your gear in a waterproof bag first to prevent moisture damage to the contents."

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/50-survival-ammo-cans/

Repetitious ... note how many times he mentions 'storage for'.   

55 minutes ago, Bish1309 said:

How about the one time you buy something from an on line retailer and the next thing you know you are getting a monthly catalog?  Good luck shutting that off.

Harbor Freight says I am on my last catalog, if I don't buy something there will be no more.  I better get down there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

Harbor Freight says I am on my last catalog, if I don't buy something there will be no more.  I better get down there.

Don’t worry about it.  I’ve been on their last catalog list for three years.  In fact, one arrived yesterday. ?

Hawk 

• Haha 1

Sam's has an interesting deal on new metal ammo cans.  $10 and they have one can inside of another.  I bought a pair for my Granddaughter since I'm giving her a pistol, cleaning stuff, some ammo.  Now she will have a place to put them.

I have picked up a bunch of 5,000 lumen 4 foot plugin light fixtures for $25 each from HF.  I love them in my garage stalls.  Really bright.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1