Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

Eric

8 hours ago, janice6 said:

I loved commercial flying for two reasons.  One was that the view was fantastic.  The other was that it beat going to work.

I'm reminded of one flight back home and as we were entering the flight pattern for the airport, a couple across the aisle exclaimed, look at all the lakes!.  What's interesting is that from the Twin Cities north, the lake density just keeps increasing.   

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, tous said:

Is it just me or is that a whole lot of input on those spoilers?

Usually they barely peek above the wing when used.

Left bank!

Not familiar or learned on the nomenclature of commercial airliners, I just fly on them, and enjoy looking at them, and marvel at their efficiency,  this was a newer 737-900 series very comfortable flying machine ...still the safest way to travel today with all the negative news of late, I'd get on one in a heartbeat, infact end of June I'll be traveling to the west coast ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, tous said:

You were in the seat I nearly always requested.

Starboard side, just behind the wing.

I could see the Earth and watch the flappy bits working.

Agreed, although I would take port or starboard, just so I could see.  I like watching the engines at night when they were warmed up.

I had a particularly bumpy and noisy first ride in 1957 on a commuter from LA to San Diego.  We boarded from a ramp under the fuselage from the tail.  Anyway, when it started up for the taxi to take off, the fog was so solid I couldn't see the edge of the runway.  The stewardess sat on the seat next to me in the back.  The racket was unreal when that thing took off, the rattling and bouncing was disconcerting, for my second leg of my very first flight.

We got airborne, and the racket and shaking didn't stop all the way to San Diego.  I was kidding, and asked the stewardess if this meant we were in trouble.  She had a white knuckle grip on the seat arms and hardly moved when she told me she didn't know, it was her first flight on this aircraft.  

It turned out well, and the stew was a very nice girl.  I learned that small commuter planes could be similar to the cars that my high school buddies drove that were held together with hose clamps and baling wire.

• Like 5

When I was in the service flew from fort Benning Georgia to Seattle Washington  on my way overseas in a government contracted airline, even remember the name the trip was so horrific “ all American Airlines “ anyway the dam right aircraft engine caught fire twice,

hadda make emergency landing in a small airport in Kansas we got out of the plane while it was still moving on the tarmac,  they supposedly fixed it overnight we departed for Seattle in am and just b4 landing it caught fire again I mean right engine totally engulfed, pilot turned off the engine and again we made an emergency landing on one engine other on fire, good ole Uncle Sam always first class accommodations for the troops,  I saw the aircraft next day the right side was totally charred, survived that event, survived my service overseas so all is good I can look outa windows of luxury airlines and take neat photos life is good friends no complaints here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've witnessed both Falcon Heavy Launches.

It is absolutely INSANE, what they're doing. My Mom used to talk about the Apollo launches. These are my generation's equivalent to those.

Probably the only thing I'll miss when I move from Florida.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2018 at 7:57 PM, Dric902 said:

D1BAE74C-BC3E-42F3-B6B0-29C3A5366F05.jpeg.7f82a79ac173a7032719c57af02e9de1.jpeg

interesting  design, keeps water from the intakes

Is that a ground-up designed airborne firefighting plane?  Clever.

On 3/26/2019 at 10:56 PM, tous said:

If we still had  men of incomparable vision and the ability to build things like Jack Northrup, Kelly Johnson, Donald Douglas and Willy Messerschmidtt, we'd be on Mars in a week, have the starship Enterprise by the end of the year.

Here's to you, lads.  :cheers:

We can only hope we see your like again.

I suspect we have the people, but we don't have the near-unlimited funding.  We don't have the threat of the Russians.  

We do, but few see it.

On 4/13/2019 at 5:35 PM, Dric902 said:

largest plane in the world

Damn thing still looks like it might snap in half - especially with a heavy load on the center wing area.  I don't think it will but it sure looks like it would.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2018 at 7:59 PM, C_Hallbert said:

What if they are flying inverted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad news - water would get into the intakes if it came out.

Good news - water won't come out.  Gravity is a bitch..... :anim_lol:

• Like 2

On 12/16/2018 at 7:57 PM, Dric902 said:

D1BAE74C-BC3E-42F3-B6B0-29C3A5366F05.jpeg.7f82a79ac173a7032719c57af02e9de1.jpeg

interesting  design, keeps water from the intakes

Looked it up - Beriev BE200 CHS.  It's a Russian design and the intakes are high to prevent water from entering during firefighting operations or water landings.  

It is also amphibious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

Looked it up - Beriev BE200 CHS.  It's a Russian design and the intakes are high to prevent water from entering during firefighting operations or water landings.  

It is also amphibious.

Ah, yes - the commies are always figuring coming up with new devious devices to get our precious bodily fluids.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/28/2019 at 6:39 PM, SC Tiger said:

Cool concept.  Was being developed for a rescue of the Iran hostages I believe.  Wish they had kept working on it.  I can see potential.

Supposedly it could land and take off in a soccer stadium.

Yes, that was a specially modified MC-130 that was designed to land on a soccer field as part of the hostage rescue.  It would never have become common, or safe.  The design used a series of rockets to decelerate and stop before then accelerating and providing additional lift for takeoff.  While testing, the rockets designed to bring the aircraft to a sudden stop were fired early and the entire aircraft was destroyed.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, C_Hallbert said:

Water would come out if the AC was in an inverted 5g dive.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah.  The good news is if that plane is in an inverted 5g dive, you've got other problems.

Such as which idiot decided to put this plane in an inverted dive. :anim_lol:

• Like 1