TBS expenses

Ricordo

• Administrators

Hi folks. I want you to know how much I appreciate the donations. It costs me in the neigborhood of $5,000/year to keep the site up, not including my time. It has become a bigger expense than I can handle.

Anyway, the donations plugin I purchased is not working properly. It processes the donations, but does not record the transaction or change the members' user profile to reflect the contribution. So, I have added a field in the donation form asking for the member's user name and I am going to enter each donation manually, so that everyone gets recognized for their donation.

Thanks again. The donations are really going to help.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

OK, I put a field into the donation form asking for the donor's user name, but the damned app is not forwarding the answer to me. So, all I get when someone donates is a transaction email from Pay Pal, with nothing usable except the donor's PP email address. If that isn't the same as their TBS email address, I am stuck.

If I am unable to dertmne who you are from the PP email, I will email that address and ask you for your user name. If you don't hear from me, or your member status doesn't get updated after a donation is made, please private message me.

Sorry about the fuss. I have a support ticket in with the creator of the app, but so far, I haven't heard back from him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Eric pinned this topic
2 hours ago, Eric said:

Hi folks. I want you to know how much I appreciate the donations. It costs me in the neigborhood of $5,000/year to keep the site up, not including my time. It has become a bigger expense than I can handle.

Eric, i am guessing you are cloud based.  As a result imagine you are running this on a virtualized server.

Is your primary cost licensing?  Or are you billed by bandwidth?   AWS, Azure, Godday?  Who's your host?

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Historian said:

Eric, i am guessing you are cloud based.  As a result imagine you are running this on a virtualized server.

Is your primary cost licensing?  Or are you billed by bandwidth?   AWS, Azure, Godday?  Who's your host?

I host on a dedicated server. I am not a fan of cloud services. The hosting costs are primarily the server cost, bandwidth and the hardware firewall. There are ocassionally services fees involved as well. I am with a stable company that I trust, that has outstanding uptime stats. There are cheaper options, but getting good webhosting can be a damned tricky undertaking. There are a huge number of companies with their hats in the ring and they can all look very professional online, with a minimum outlay of resources. The sites that rate/recommend good webhosts are a snake's nest of sleazy schills and worse. I've been doing this a long time. If you find good service, you stick with it.

Anyway, there really is no such thing as a one-time cost in this business anymore. Every bit of code I use has someone's strings attached to it. Every one of these ******* climb into your back pocket when you 'purchase' their software. It all adds up.

• Like 3

Just now, Eric said:

Anyway, there really is no thing as a one-time cost in this business anymore. Every bit of code I use has someone's strings attached to it. Every one of these ****ers climb into your back pocket when you 'purchase' their software. It all adds up.

The industry has changed so much over the years. At one time you bought a package like Major BBS or some other platform (Mustang BBS?).  

The web changed things..and models have changed.  Where i work we used to deal with Micky Soft about every four years to determine the cost of software...server OS, SQL, desktop, etc.  And that was the cost for software.

Now they want to sell it as a service.  MS office for example.  I used to install as many as i wanted at the flat fee.  Now we have to worry about cloud based services and software as a service.  We're now basically leasing software and they have control of the data.  It's in Azure in many cases (at least the .gov section because we demand it).

These days it's about the code.  Need a change? They have a guy somewhere in the world...who will make that change for you.  Need some new code?   You have someone else in the world.

So i get where your costs are coming from.

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Alright. I'm in. I hope my status will still show that I'm a Founding Member in addition to the Patron status. Anyone can become a Patron. The Founding Member status had to be earned by getting in on the ground floor.

The system remembers your original group, but displays the donor group. I have set your secondary group to Founding Member, but it is not something that currently displays. I’ll look into a way for both to display. Thanks for the donation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Eric unpinned this topic