Printing issues

Leavemeout

I have seen several people this week with printing issues on their ccw. Not sure if they are that oblivious, don't mind showing it or if the colder weather makes a difference. Maybe they are carrying a G19 with the sweatshirt weather versus the G43 in summer. Does anyone else change their ccw for the winter due to easier concealability of a larger gun? Do you notice that removing a sweatshirt or coat in the warmer afternoon causes printing issues? Curious of why it has been so noticeable lately. It's in the 50's in the AM in Wisconsin so ymmv depending on the local weather. 

I've been carrying since about 2000 and have only been "made" once, when my cover garment rode all the way on top of the gun, leaving it completely exposed. A guy was looking right at me with big eyes. I covered it and went on my way, and nothing happened. Looking clean-cut and friendly in general, and not like a criminal or a punk goes a long way. 

I'm not a big guy and am able to conceal a G23 in a paddle holster. During the summer, I wear a slightly oversized dark colored t-shirt. That's the toughest part fo the year. When I can justify a golf windbreaker or sweatshirt, concealment is extremely easy. 

Unless the gun is fairly clearly visible, nobody will know what it is with enough certainty to do anything about it.

Edited by Brad
  • Like 2

I just wear the basic jeans/t-shirt most of the time.  I do tend to wear clothes that are just a little bigger than they should be to avoid being too obvious.  If you're someone who prefers the tighter fit clothing that the younger crowd tends to favor, that can be a little tough.

Another thing I do it try to pick holsters that ride pretty high.   A very nice high riding holster you could consider is the Kramer scabbard in cowhide or horsehide.  I have one for my CZ P-07, and it really is exceptional.  They run around $135

If your budget is a little lower, you could consider the El Paso Saddlery Crosshair pancake holster.  I purchased one for my Springfield 1911 Gov't Range Officer.  It's a little thinner, but it rides high and tight, and that 40 oz. gun carries as easily as the 28 oz. CZ.  It ran me about $65.

Otherwise, don't wrap yourself up too much with the printing issue.  Most folks are so wrapped up in their own lives, they really don't have time to pay that close attention to those around them.  I'm betting you're fine.

• Like 1

When I lived back in STL, from about mid-fall to early summer I could get away with wearing some kind of jacket or a flannel-type shirt, which made concealing almost anything pretty easy.  Which is probably why I carried a full-size/commander-sized 1911 in a OWB holster about half the year or more back then.

Now that I'm living/roasting in the Valley of the Sun, I've found that I've had to make some significant adjustments as to how I carry any sidearm.  In the summer (mid-May to October 1st) I pretty much carry a Shield IWB, deep concealment holster.  It's not a perfect solution and I'd rather carry a larger more powerful weapon, but I simply can't adequately conceal anything bigger wearing the light clothing I'm forced to wear around here when it's a constant 110+ degrees.  

In the cooler months (we don't really have any kind of regular winter around here) I'll wear some kind of jacket as often as possible, mostly so I can go back to carrying one of my 1911s (what can I say, I just like 1911s).  But sometimes winter doesn't really happen in PHX, and jackets aren't really an option.  I have found that a light sweatshirt or sweater is sometimes an option, allowing me to still carry a commander-sized 1911 in an IWB holster, usually at or near the appendix position (12:30 to 2:30).  For myself, I've found it's just a bit easier to conceal my usual carry gun at a position just forward of my hip. Especially if I have to bend at the waist for some reason.

It is necessary to find a really comfortable holster though.  Otherwise you have the holster as well as parts of the gun digging into parts of you that a person normally can't discuss in mixed company.  Also I feel I have to use a high-quality holster designed for appendix carry, as I'm already anxious enough about having the muzzle of my weapon pointed at the family jewels.  I refuse to increase my unease by using a cheaply made, uncomfortable holster.  YMMV, of course.

Edited by ranger99

You may be overthinking the printing a bit, some may of been medical devices or other things besides firearms.  With cooler season upon us it should be even easier to conceal.  That said people that carry may be more aware than the average person.

Edited by pipedreams

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:35 PM, jame said:

I just wear the basic jeans/t-shirt most of the time.  I do tend to wear clothes that are just a little bigger than they should be to avoid being too obvious.  If you're someone who prefers the tighter fit clothing that the younger crowd tends to favor, that can be a little tough.

Another thing I do it try to pick holsters that ride pretty high.   A very nice high riding holster you could consider is the Kramer scabbard in cowhide or horsehide.  I have one for my CZ P-07, and it really is exceptional.  They run around $135

If your budget is a little lower, you could consider the El Paso Saddlery Crosshair pancake holster.  I purchased one for my Springfield 1911 Gov't Range Officer.  It's a little thinner, but it rides high and tight, and that 40 oz. gun carries as easily as the 28 oz. CZ.  It ran me about $65.

Otherwise, don't wrap yourself up too much with the printing issue.  Most folks are so wrapped up in their own lives, they really don't have time to pay that close attention to those around them.  I'm betting you're fine.    :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 1

It seems that I may have just been in the right spots at the right time. Rarely ever notice it but for that short time I kept noticing. Now everyone is wearing big coats and sweatshirts so I am not seeing anything. Just seemed odd after so many years of cc in Wisconsin and not seeing it. 

I don't worry too much about printing, partly because I live in AR, have my CHCL, and have a badge.  With all of that said, I didn't worry too much about it before I got my badge, either.  We live in an age in which everybody has some kind of lump at their waistline:  phones, pagers, holsters . . . .  I wear either a suit or khakis and sportcoat at least 5 days per week, so I could carry just about anything I want.  My preferred carry is either a G19 or a Shield in an IWB hybrid.  I'm a proponent of carrying the biggest gun I can hide, so I'll likely carry the G19 more in the winter.  As far as I know, I've never been "made" (knocks on wood), but I could also believe that someone made me, but that the person who made me may have decided not to confront me, because I was carrying a gun.

• 1 month later...

My normal carry is a Ruger SR9C in 10rd mode. I usually in am Askins Avenger type holster. The only time I have had something said to me was by an off duty LEO. He simply tapped me on the shoulder, introduced himself and said "you're printing a bit".

Like has been said, well dressed and groomed, not acting all nervous and twitchy goes a long ways with folks not getting to upset about seeing a gun.
Living in Alabama doesn't hurt either. We all expect our fellow redneck to be packing. [emoji16]

Sent from a mental institution

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I've been carrying my G26 at 4 oclock with a tee-shirt even with the hottest days. It definitely prints if I do any bending. If you know it prints you just need to be aware of it and act accordingly. I've been playing around with appendix carry at times. It definitely helps with the printing, just so damn uncomfortable sitting. Going to be playing around with a few different holsters to see if that helps.

I consider some level of printing to be inevitable and I don't really concern myself with it.  I make an honest effort to conceal my firearm at all times but I am sure that someone somewhere has noticed that I am armed.  As far as what the public at large is likely to notice or fail to notice, I choose to err on the side of caution and assume that people are naturally astute regarding their observations and I prepare accordingly.  Printing may give me away but its certainly not illegal in my neck of the woods.  I could OC if that was my inclination, … but its not, so I don't.

Edited by Paper Tiger

I live in Kansas and am a former LE officer. When I was an active officer, I carried a full size G22 IWB @ about 4:00. I liked having my weapon in a similar carry position to my duty rig for muscle memory. My EDC is now a G27. I still carry it in an IWB at 4:00 90% of the time. I am not much on appendix carry althou.gh in gym shorts I do sometimes carry with a Crossbreed Belly Band and depending on the activity, either still at 4:00 or crossdraw appendix. I wear 1 size larger t-shirt and never have a problem with printing. My IWB is tuckable so if I am dressing up with a tucked in shirt I either still use my IWB, or sometimes a holster t-shirt with my dress or western shirt 1 size bigger to keep from printing.

• Like 1

I carry a G41 in a T shirt and jeans IWB, and have never been stopped or informed.

I have to assume that my concealed carry technique must be effective, since one time my wife had a minor crisis and I ran into the city government center with the Sheriff's office and County Court system, armed.  I came out with the issue taken care of and was still a free man.  That's a test that in retrospect, I will never perform again!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I don't know if anyone has ever made me or not.

My state has legal open carry, so even if I print a little it makes no difference.  I avoid going to the bigger cities that might have people freak out at the mere thought of a firearm, I doubt much would be said even if I was open carrying.

As for difference in summer and winter, I carry a G20.4 year round IWB or sometimes in a chest holster under my vest.  I'm getting a little too fat for my own good so nobody notices.

• Like 1

In Alabama you see plenty of open carry folks. 99% of people pay them no attention. That being said, that same 99% will never notice minor printing.

I carry the same pistol year round. I carry open and concealed bases on the circumstances and where I am going.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've carried concealed since the early 80s.  No open carry in The People's Republik!  For the past 10 years or so, I've been carrying a Glock 19 OWB.  The only times I've ever been made is when someone hugged me and I wasn't quick enough to reach low, forcing them to go high.  Never became an issue.

Does anyone else change their ccw for the winter due to easier concealability of a larger gun? ......

no. I keep the same rig all the time. If I cant conceal comfortably with just a shirt and pants, then i re-think my set up. In cold months i don't live in a sweater or jacket, so the rig must work with my normal everyday stuff- glock 30sf in an IWB tuckable holster.. works very well in any weather, i absolutely love it, it is the desantis iwb tuckable....

I don't worry about printing because people usually mind their own business, let alone stare at a strangers waist and fantasize about what is the mysterious bump? well its my cell phone case or flashlight or or or or its non of anyone's business and as long as you are not dangling a bright red gun from your belt, then there is nothing anyone can do except for wonder.

Im a delivery driver, so getting up and down all day and having constant interaction with humans is my job. nobody has ever said anything or even looked at me funny or given any hint that they thought i was packing.

except one time i was stocking a shelf really high up, so i was reaching, and when i looked back a clerk was staring straight at  my hip.... but that's all, it was still tucked and i just went about my job... maybe he was checking out the desantis logo on my belt clip...

I wish the holster company's would stop putting their logo on the belt clip... dead giveaway if a gun-person sees it

• Like 1