Hi-point plays to their base

jfost11

The Yeet Cannon?  Are they trying to sell to 12 year old girls who say dumb things to be popular?  What is next?  The VSCO girl blaster for 13 year old girls? I have heard every stupid trend with my daughter for years.  That is how I know about term "Yeet.,"  Before that it was dabbing.  The only joy I find, is regurgitating the stupid phrases she uses over the years, as the old unknowing father which makes her get embarrassed and makes my wife laugh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZ Husker said:

I'm old...what is Yeet?

It means to make a dance move or throw something.  I have teenagers, so I have added to my the language of "stupid teen expressions," to my multi-lingual tool box.

• Like 3

Long ago, I was in Carlsbad, New Mexico on business, to see that Department of Energy office in town, I had nothing to do for a while, so I simply wandered around town.  I had thought that the Nuclear waste storage caverns some miles out of town would have brought prosperity to this little town, but the evidence showed otherwise.

At that point in time, I saw poverty that was damn near embarrassing to witness.  The town was the epitome of poor!  I ate lunch at a café across the street from the court house and while eating, I could look down between the floor boards and see dirt!

They had a promise of an economic boom which brought developers  with a home building obsession for the boom to come.  It never came.  Huge numbers of new houses sat in new suburban development areas but in complete disarray and lack of repair, to the extent that it was a blight.  No one had the money to buy the homes and the developers lost big money, big time.

Anyway, I wandered over to a large business in town, it was a Pawn shop.  They had a gun counter so I started looking.  The most new stock  handguns went for $100 and down, brand new guns.

I looked closely at the first Hi Point I had ever seen, and made some disparaging remarks about the quality and workmanship.

The business owner put me in my place with a short comment.  He said, "they do what they are made for".

I guess that's true.  If you don't need long term reliability, quality in workmanship, convenient carry size and weight.

But if you need a firearm for just a few times that it can save your life or take the life of an aggressor,  They do what they are made for.

In that town I could believe that Hi Point and cheap guns like that met the price point of the local economy.  So I guess I was being a turd for criticizing the people that bought what they could afford, and not as an investment.  I learned a lot that day.

• Like 4

Their pistols were considered "Saturday Night" specials, along with pistols like the Loracin, and the Raven.    The difference being that the slide was heavy pot metal.  Honestly, the best thing that the older Hi Point was better at then unreliable shooting, would be its ability to bludgeon.  The Loracin, was the choice of wannabe gang members.  Everyone thought fights were a wonderful gladiator sports.  The problem was the accuracy of the shooters along with the ability of the weapon itself.  Two of these wannabes got together at the Mid-High when I was a youngster, canted the pistols to look cool, and missed each other a point blank range.  But, careful what you wish for when you want to watch that spectacle.  Those bullets continual to travel.  It cost one of the girls an eye. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

It's a budget gun.  It does what it's supposed to do.  Would I own one?  Probably not as I've a room full of guns of much greater value.

That being said, I've shot one and it was just as accurate as any other "run of the mill" 9mm I've ever shot.  It was heavy, clunky and somewhat unwieldy but it put the bullets where I was wanting them and did it with aplomb.  If I was to fall on really hard times and all I had was a $100, I'd probably get one.

I'm not a gun snob and would never look down on a youngster that wanted to go to the range with me and brought one of these.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
Long ago, I was in Carlsbad, New Mexico on business, to see that Department of Energy office in town, I had nothing to do for a while, so I simply wandered around town.  I had thought that the Nuclear waste storage caverns some miles out of town would have brought prosperity to this little town, but the evidence showed otherwise.
At that point in time, I saw poverty that was damn near embarrassing to witness.  The town was the epitome of poor!  I ate lunch at a café across the street from the court house and while eating, I could look down between the floor boards and see dirt!
They had a promise of an economic boom which brought developers  with a home building obsession for the boom to come.  It never came.  Huge numbers of new houses sat in new suburban development areas but in complete disarray and lack of repair, to the extent that it was a blight.  No one had the money to buy the homes and the developers lost big money, big time.
Anyway, I wandered over to a large business in town, it was a Pawn shop.  They had a gun counter so I started looking.  The most new stock  handguns went for $100 and down, brand new guns.
I looked closely at the first Hi Point I had ever seen, and made some disparaging remarks about the quality and workmanship.
The business owner put me in my place with a short comment.  He said, "they do what they are made for".
I guess that's true.  If you don't need long term reliability, quality in workmanship, convenient carry size and weight.
But if you need a firearm for just a few times that it can save your life or take the life of an aggressor,  They do what they are made for.
In that town I could believe that Hi Point and cheap guns like that met the price point of the local economy.  So I guess I was being a turd for criticizing the people that bought what they could afford, and not as an investment.  I learned a lot that day.

Part of GCA68 was intended to take inexpensive (cheap) imported hand guns off the market. Guess what? Locals stepped up to the plate and made pot metal frames in which they installed imported “parts kits”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2019 at 11:54 AM, Borg warner said:

I would actually like their pistol caliber carbines if it weren't for the fact that they have low capacity magazines. The pistols are heavy and clunky and look like battery drills, but they're reliable and are reasonably accurate.

I really blew it when I passed on the 9mm carbine brand new for $90.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I recently bought an early model Hi-Point, the JF 9. It has an alloy frame unlike the newer models. It was mfg and sold as the Haskell, the Maverick and the Stallard before becoming the Hi-Point JF 9. I was disappointed when l asked for shipping instructions to send it into the factory under their lifetime warranty that was supposed to apply to subsequent owner after the original owner. Their technician stated that they don't make parts for the JF 9 any longer. I offered to accept a rebuilt or refurbished 9mm in exchange for my JF 9. They refused to take any responsibility.  I am considering consulting an attorney. 

Hi-Point.jpg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Their Carbine is pretty Slick.  Sure wish I had a stab at one for $90!!!  Hell, I'd even take it in 9mm, but I'd prefer it in .45.

Yeah, I know.  I was on vacation and the local gun shop had one on the shelf.  I had never heard of it, so I went to the lake cabin and checked the internet for it.

Of course, by the time I went back to buy it, it was gone.  I lost my respect for the establishment when the owner said no one should by that piece of sh**t.  It is the crowning achievement of Hi Point IMHO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Yeah, I know.  I was on vacation and the local gun shop had one on the shelf.  I had never heard of it, so I went to the lake cabin and checked the internet for it.

Of course, by the time I went back to buy it, it was gone.  I lost my respect for the establishment when the owner said no one should by that piece of sh**t.  It is the crowning achievement of Hi Point IMHO.

If you are ashamed to sell a product, you probably shouldn’t. Or if you are ashamed and selling, you probably should keep your contempt to yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, janice6 said:

Years ago, I had bought a Beretta CX4 Carbine.  Damn thing was about $750 if memory serves me... It was when I went in search of extended Mags that really made me understand I had made a mistake.  If I had looked for extended mags for the CX4 before I bought it, I would have gone with the Hi Point carbine in .45.  They already had extended mags for it.  I finally found an extended mag for the CX4 with a dude Sierra Papa.   http://sierrapapacx4.com/  Got one, but it was only 18 Rounds.  Anyway....got rid of the CX4 last year and got me a nice auto Shotgun.

STILL would buy the Hi Point Carbine in .45 if I ever get a deal like that!!!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a couple of friends that own both pistols and carbines. After repairing a couple, there will never be one in my collection.

The warranty is awesome and they sent me the needed parts quickly and without any questions, but the products are too cheaply made and difficult to maintain properly, IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...