It doesn't pay

Mrs.Cicero

to be a mean rooster on my farm.  Or even to be a stupid rooster who won't go into the coop on his own at night.  Fifteen chickens just went to the processor this morning (because I have too much other stuff to do this week to also butcher them)... and 13 of them were roosters... of which 12 were too stupid to roost in the coop.  My youngest daughter and I plucked (sorry) them all out of the trees, off the tops of the rabbit hutches, and off the fence posts last night and stuck them all in my truck.  The only rooster I kept that tries to roost outside is the one that I can carry from the fencepost to the coop on my fist like a falcon, because he is big, beautiful, and FRIENDLY... and the hens like him.  I think the hens are much happier now... not being rooster-pecked all day...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

to be a mean rooster on my farm.  Or even to be a stupid rooster who won't go into the coop on his own at night.  Fifteen chickens just went to the processor this morning (because I have too much other stuff to do this week to also butcher them)... and 13 of them were roosters... of which 12 were too stupid to roost in the coop.  My youngest daughter and I plucked (sorry) them all out of the trees, off the tops of the rabbit hutches, and off the fence posts last night and stuck them all in my truck.  The only rooster I kept that tries to roost outside is the one that I can carry from the fencepost to the coop on my fist like a falcon, because he is big, beautiful, and FRIENDLY... and the hens like him.  I think the hens are much happier now... not being rooster-pecked all day...

Is this the masculine toxicity I hear about in the media...……. :D

I guess the lesson here for men is to treat your women nice and you won't see the processor.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Chickens are just tiny dinosaurs.

They don't want to be fed;  they want to hunt!

Mom's banty roosters were the worst.

Little jagoffs sneaking all around just to ambush you.

Did you ever catch them playing chicken with each other?

Asking for Janice6.  ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

sounds like they ran a Fowl of you one too many times....

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Chickens are just tiny dinosaurs.

They don't want to be fed;  they want to hunt!

Mom's banty roosters were the worst.

Little jagoffs sneaking all around just to ambush you.

Yeah, they are definitely little dinosaurs.  We give our stale bread etc. now and then so they come running when you open the back door but if you have chicken watch out.  I don't know how they even know it is chicken but they seem to.  We do not give them chicken, just to the dog but you have to be careful or they will snag it.  Freakin cannibals.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

Yeah, they are definitely little dinosaurs.  We give our stale bread etc. now and then so they come running when you open the back door but if you have chicken watch out.  I don't know how they even know it is chicken but they seem to.  We do not give them chicken, just to the dog but you have to be careful or they will snag it.  Freakin cannibals.

LOL, I feed the chicken carcasses left over after I make chicken stock back to the chickens.  I think it's their favorite treat.  They come to the call of "Heeeeeyyyyyy, stupid chickens!"  And once, when I opened the door to let the dog out, he ran out and a hen ran in.  My kids thought that was hilarious...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

LOL, I feed the chicken carcasses left over after I make chicken stock back to the chickens.  I think it's their favorite treat.  They come to the call of "Heeeeeyyyyyy, stupid chickens!"  And once, when I opened the door to let the dog out, he ran out and a hen ran in.  My kids thought that was hilarious...

So Soylent Yellow is chickens?  

Nevermind.  That joke needed more work before publishing.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

When I was very young (prior to Kindergarten), my father had a Chicken ranch.

We had over 5 thousand Chickens IIRC.  I hated them with a passion.  No automation in those days.  Our neighbor had roughly 20,000 of them.

Periodically, my father would come hand me a .22 rifle almost as big as me, and he'd take one.  We would shoot rats in the chicken coops all day long.

The Chickens were having a fit from the gunshots, and in the coops, the dust, dirt and Chicken feces, was thick in the air from the muzzle blast.  it was indescribably ugly to breath.

I spent days trying to get that wretched smell and stink out of my nose.  The sweet gunpower taste in the back of your throat was enough to gag you also.

They're dirty and somewhat crazy.  We collected eggs every day so you couldn't get away from them, ever.  God I hated them so.

It wasn't until recently that I have been able to eat Chicken.  Now, it's only because I hated it so much, that I didn't buy it to eat for most of my marriage, and my wife likes it.

So I  had to come around a little, just so she wouldn't be punished for my hatred of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I was young, I had “pet” chicken(s) for awhile. Still have a scar on the base of my thumb where one bit me.

In due course we took them to my grandparents for their farm. Next year when we went to visit I did not see that bird. Asked my grandfather... He said that chicken picked a fight with the mule and lost.

Somehow that ending was not a surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1