Things That Are Going or Gone

Eric

22 hours ago, Eric said:

Who remembers these things?

ice-tray.thumb.jpg.e76036a9e4b9f0b39b4bc2ee463e363d.jpg

traybw-2-attrib.thumb.jpg.5e218a773cb4360e421e78e2ed239ccf.jpg

I hated thee freaking things. They almost never worked properly and if you had the slightest amount of moisture on your hands, they would stick. I must have lost a yard or two of skin on those damned things, over the years.

I still use two of them

Paper books and paper copies of documents. I don't think it'll be long until those are mostly gone. They're a pain to store or transport.

I have three big bookshelves full of books and notebooks from college and my career. I'm finding that I access them less and less as time goes on and I get more and more pdf documents. I carry a big chunk of my reference library in my laptop, and that chunk is growing all the time. 

Edited by Brad

I always had one old style phone in the basement that was pushbutton dialing.  It had no electronics and used the telephone line power to operate.  It was a failsafe.  I threw it out last year for a home digital phone that combined with my cell phone for all calls in or out.  Now the cell phone is the failsafe and if it doesn't work anywhere, I won't worry about the little stuff.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2017 at 10:46 PM, Eric said:

Someone posted something earlier that got me thinking of these beasties:

honda_1982.atc200e.left_.red_.studio.thumb.jpg.0b7900d3c4f0e84900ce483b6d092274.jpg

These were a hell of a lot of fun to ride, but they seriously injured or killed a good number of riders. This 1982 model was one the last years they were available.

IMG_2091.JPG

I had one of these, it was fast. To turn with them you had to lean right, up on two wheels to go left and vice versa . Two problems I found with that was you couldn't side hill with it, if you lean uphill the bike would turn down. Also going through the trails at breakneck speeds and hit a rock or log in the trail with one back wheel would turn you off of the trail. Sorry I sold it. 

a_53.jpg

On 9/16/2017 at 10:46 PM, Eric said:

Someone posted something earlier that got me thinking of these beasties:

honda_1982.atc200e.left_.red_.studio.thumb.jpg.0b7900d3c4f0e84900ce483b6d092274.jpg

These were a hell of a lot of fun to ride, but they seriously injured or killed a good number of riders. This 1982 model was one the last years they were available.

I passed by a couple teenage looking boys with a Big Red just the other day. First one I've seen in a long time.

On 9/18/2017 at 11:45 PM, Eric said:

I miss phones with dials. I used to love the feel of the dial. I need to get another one, just to have it.

On 9/18/2017 at 10:58 PM, ROB said:

We had this one, with matching speed queen washer and dryer

$_57.JPG

Green sure was a popular color in the 70s. Carpet, cars. Everything....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ROB said:

We had a Chrysler A body of some sort in that color too- in fact my extended family, aunt's, uncles, grandma and grandpa on my dad's side all drove a Dart or Valiant of some sort.

We had a Dart. Had the push button shifter. Remember those?

dart pb trans.jpg

Edited by Smith10
pics n'at
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Smith10 said:

That shift into 2nd could be hard on the knuckles.

Didn't like the shift into first either, especially if you're moving. :supergrin:    I just palmed the shifter up for second.

It was a hell of a car though, withstood serious abuse. It ate clutches though, clutch was too small.

Edited by ROB
  • Like 1

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, Smith10 said:

Green sure was a popular color in the 70s. Carpet, cars. Everything....

That color was called Avocado Green. You had your choice of two appliance colors back then: Avocado Green or Harvest Gold. There really wasn't a winner in that pick.:greensupergrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric said:

That color was called Avocado Green. You had your choice of two appliance colors back then: Avocado Green or Harvest Gold. There really wasn't a winner in that pick.:greensupergrin:

True,very true. :)

No offense to them that like it, but I just don't like green. That 70s overload of it was just too much. Especially cars/trucks.

• Like 1

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Smith10 said:

True,very true. :)

No offense to them that like it, but I just don't like green. That 70s overload of it was just too much. Especially cars/trucks.

Oh, I love many shades of green, but Avocado appliance green isn't one of them. If you look at some of the other fashions and styles that were popular back then, those unfortunately hued appliances start making sense.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2017 at 11:00 PM, Sgt 127 said:

Earth shoes. Heel was lower than the toe...

And....platform shoes...the exact opposite  though you can still catch a glimpse at places where the entertainment is, uh...clothing optional....

IMG_2889.JPG

I have a pair of boots made that look exactly like these. I am too ashamed to say how much I paid for these Frankenstein boots. 

• Like 1