Close range AR sights?

Eric2340

How do you guys that use an AR as a home defense long gun (inside the house and dense urban areas - NO long range yard distances) feel about close range AR sights?

Iron sights for better, wider, open, clearer field of view at close distances or would you still rather run a red dot like an Aimpoint Pro?

And if iron sights, which rear do you prefer for CLOSE range use as described?

Thanks -

I like my red dot sights for close range, especially inside the house where it may or may not be a little dark.  

The big advantage for me is being able to keep both eyes wide open, and not really having to focus on anything too closely.  As long as the glowing red dot is center mass on the target, not matter where my eyes are focusing and how blurry the dot it, then I'll hit the target.

The only things NOT running red dots at this point are my carry pistol and the shotgun.  Fiber optic turkey sights on the shotgun make aiming it pretty easy, but it's not my go-to gun if I hear a bump in the night.  My carry pistol has night sights simply because the lens on the red dot gets dirty pretty quickly when carrying it around all day, and I got tired of cleaning that one all the time.  Not to mention water droplets getting onto the lens and distorting it, as well as freezing weather causing it to fog up.

Aimpoints are pretty much what everything else is judged by, but I got a really good deal on a Sig Romeo6T so that's what I have on my AR pistol in 300BO that I have set up for home defense.  Most of the Romeo line has automatic on/off motion sensor, so you can leave them on without significantly impacting battery life, and no fumbling for controls in the dark/semi dark stressful situation.

As for irons, my ARs all have the magpul backup sights.  Heck, for the situation you're talking about even having the old A2 style carry handle/sight would work just fine, just set it to the larger aperture for faster acquisition, and get a tritium front sight post.  

If I was to go that route, I'd probably get something like one of these:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/ar-15-tactical-tritium-rear-sight-prod105939.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/ar-15-blade-tritium-rn-front-blade-prod24976.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15&psize=96

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/ar-15-tritium-hk-style-rear-sight-prod105949.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15&psize=96

My 10.5" AR-15 in 5.56 has a red dot and co-witnessed BUIS. Slap in a 30 round mag and home is well secured. It is probably not going to be my first choice for home defense. My concern is penetration of walls beyond my target. I built it primarily for urban SHTF situations or when mobility is required. I am older and slower than I used to be.

The Glock17 is much easier for me to move with, and carries 17 rounds. I use standard sights on all of my pistols and have no trouble seeing Glock sights in low light. It also has enough muzzle energy to go through my intended target and expend almost all of it's energy in doing so. It is my go to home defense weapon.

If I feel like the threat requires more, the tactical 12 gauge is within easy reach. I keep this loaded with low brass buck shot. It will stop almost anything I may encounter without exiting if I hit center mass. Makes for much easier clean up. :)

Although I have red dots on a couple of my ARs, I train primarily with iron sights because they are a constant that will never need a battery. I would suggest investing in quality sights that will take some abuse without failing on any weapon intended for defense.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:42 AM, Eric2340 said:

How do you guys that use an AR as a home defense long gun (inside the house and dense urban areas - NO long range yard distances) feel about close range AR sights?

Iron sights for better, wider, open, clearer field of view at close distances or would you still rather run a red dot like an Aimpoint Pro?

And if iron sights, which rear do you prefer for CLOSE range use as described?

Thanks -

Aimpoint pro patrol rifle optic.  You can shoot with both eyes open and see your surroundings.  I popped that out yesterday afternoon, when the accused MMA triple homicide guy escaped from custody in Conroe.  A lot of people were on edge knowing that if he got far he would be headed North and not silly enough to go into Houston with all the cameras around.

I use an optic with an etched reticle so it works with or without power and a 1000 lumen light.

Just a friendly reminder if you do use a DOT, be sure you know where your dot is zeroed so you can use it at "hallway distances" with confidence.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Both eyes open. Looking slightly over the rear sight and cover the chest of the bad guy with the front sight tower.  Across the room distances it’s fast and accurate enough to score COM hits. 

Try it at the range next time. 5-7 yards. Focus on the target. You will score adequate hits.  

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 2/4/2019 at 6:41 PM, Moshe said:

Aimpoint pro patrol rifle optic.  You can shoot with both eyes open and see your surroundings.  I popped that out yesterday afternoon, when the accused MMA triple homicide guy escaped from custody in Conroe.  A lot of people were on edge knowing that if he got far he would be headed North and not silly enough to go into Houston with all the cameras around.

What he said. I love this optic.

I'm a KISS type of person. I cut my teeth on irons, used them in my service of Uncle, and use them on everything I have.

I do have a holographic on my utility rifle these days with the pop up rear. I can shoot through the hologram sight if needed, and batteries go down at the worst of times.

Even at 300 meters, I'm still pretty good, just not as good as I used to be. Eye sight is to blame. Still showed the nephew a few things that the old man is capable of on the range a few weeks ago. Playing around with some of that new fangled Tannerite blow up target stuff, I managed a business card size hit at 100 yards, first shot. Did it again and put the rifle up and started playing with pistol targets. No since in messing up a perfect run. ?

XGpjFFc.jpg?1

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1

Use the front sight assembly as a front sight post. Use the wings on the sides of the rear sight aperture as the rear sight. Ignore the aperture. Keep your eye father back than normal. Accurate out to 40 meters or so with practice. Deadly within 10 meters. Shot thousands of rounds like this in the Marines. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just added a new 10.5", 9mm AR to the collection and equipped it with a laser. I was surprised at the difference it made for target acquisition. My right eye is dominant but the vision in it is terrible. With the laser, not a problem at all. May have to put them on all my home defense weapons. One can never have too many means of defense!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I regretted putting the Aimpoint  Patrol Model on my Colt M-4.  It sold itself well.  But, without a brightness setting, it would wash out in bright sunlight.  No knock about Aimpoint, but the model where you adjust the intensity of the dot is helpful.  I put a Primary Arms on my AK (not a WASR).  Broad daylight, I can bowl a man sized target at 50 yards in critical areas without any difficulty, night or day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

That right there.  Amazing combination.

They hit a home run with that optic.

In low light, or at night, works great.  My only complaint is that I can't get the optic to darken up in bright sunlight.  But, for night work, or low light, a great optic.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Moshe said:

In low light, or at night, works great.  My only complaint is that I can't get the optic to darken up in bright sunlight.  But, for night work, or low light, a great optic.

1x4 magnification would have been nice too. But yes it can drown out a bit in bright light. Still an outstanding product for the price.

1 hour ago, Historian said:

1x4 magnification would have been nice too. But yes it can drown out a bit in bright light. Still an outstanding product for the price.

For the price, yes.  That is my only complaint is the washout in sunlight, it makes it hard to achieve the accuracy the firearm can do.