Cold Warriors

Eric

1 hour ago, Dric902 said:

Don’t know that one

Needle nosed, was that supposed to be an updated F-16?

That aircraft, and they only made a prototype, was designed at the same time as the F-16.

Behold the Boeing 908, Boeing Aircraft's entry in the Air Combat Fighter program of the very early 1970s.

Ugliest aircraft ever conceived.

The danged wings are too long, the vstab too tall, only one engine and it doesn't have a hook.

Yet another, You five companies make one, we'll fly 'em and then choose a winner, deal from the Air Force.

The F-16 won.

Edited by tous
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, tous said:

That aircraft, and they only made a prototype, was designed at the same time as the F-16.

Behold the Boeing 908, Boeing Aircraft's entry in the Air Combat Fighter program of the very early 1970s.

The danged wings are too long, the vstab too tall, only one engine and it doesn't have a hook.

Yet another, You five companies make one, we'll fly 'em and then choose a winner, deal from the Air Force.

The F-16 won.

Looks like they stole the wings off an F-8 and glued them on too low.  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tous said:

The F-16 won.

I was only aware of the F-16 and F-18 variants. I’m glad that one didn’t make the cut

13 hours ago, Eric said:

WhatAmI.thumb.jpg.4887aa82b210610b1bbfb2428d9be9a3.jpg

It looks like the plane on the left, and the drawing on the right, are two different aircraft.  Note the way the wings blend into the fuselage on the two planes, plus the wingtip missile launchers on the plane on the left.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tous said:

The F-16 won.

I beg your pardon?

USAF_X32B_250.jpg

And it looks like Boeing cheated off of General Dynamics' paper for the 908.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I beg your pardon?

USAF_X32B_250.jpg

I suppose the bright side is that from inside the cockpit you can't readily see how fugly that thing is!  Does it get airborne because the ground doesn't want to be seen with it, and repels it?  Yeek!

-Pat

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Cubdriver said:

I suppose the bright side is that from inside the cockpit you can't readily see how fugly that thing is!  Does it get airborne because the ground doesn't want to be seen with it, and repels it?  Yeek!

-Pat

The lifting body went a long way toward developing the Nighthawk and the Spirit bombers

18 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I beg your pardon?

USAF_X32B_250.jpg

And one wonders why LockMart won the JSF competition.

As stated, Boeing should stick to the big ones.

I can't believe that that tubby thing with huge delta wing can get to MACH, much less beyond it.

As far as stealth, that thing has to have an RCS of a battleship.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cubdriver said:

A Boeingski Superfortresskaya?

-Pat

Pretty much.  Basically we had 3 B29s that had to land in Russia during WWII.  The Russians kept them for a while and copied them to make that thing.  A Tupolev Tu-4.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Pretty much.  Basically we had 3 B29s that had to land in Russia during WWII.  The Russians kept them for a while and copied them to make that thing.  A Tupolev Tu-4.

Yeah, I remember reading about that.  Seem to recall something about a delegation touring some high tech machine shop in the US wearing shoes with very soft soles in order to collect chips for metallurgical analysis way back when, too.

-Pat

The Douglas C-54 was a great aircraft.

Imagine a President of the United States organizing a Berlin Airlift today. 

It would take fourteen years, nineteen Congressional hearings, six continuing budget resolutions and 10,000 hours of numpties that don't know anything and can't actually do anything appearing on TV to explain why it's a bad idea and will certainly cause World War III.

:upeyes:

• Like 3