Cold Warriors

Eric

On 7/19/2018 at 4:41 PM, pipedreams said:

I was got out in 65 as Viet Nam was starting to really built up.  I finally found a picture, a M67 recoilless rifle, weight 38 pounds, 53 inches long.  All I could remember it was heave and awkward.  Apparently there are some still around per the article I found.   After I got off the M60 I carried an M14 the rest of the time.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=857

image.png.eac8a50a04b0ebe46b0d9d1d5e1cec7e.png

I asked my dad about those.  Apparently every infantry platoon was issues heavier weapons like the M2, the Recoilless Rifle, mortars, etc.

He said that they usually left all that stuff back at the area base.  Said it was too heavy to carry through the jungle.  I think they did carry the M79 and the some LAWs.  And of course the M60.

11 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I asked my dad about those.  Apparently every infantry platoon was issues heavier weapons like the M2, the Recoilless Rifle, mortars, etc.

He said that they usually left all that stuff back at the area base.  Said it was too heavy to carry through the jungle.  I think they did carry the M79 and the some LAWs.  And of course the M60.

Yes, quite heavy and useless, unless you were up against some heavy fortification.  The M79 was quite popular since it could reach out some distance and was easy to carry.

Edited by pipedreams

7 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Yes, quite heavy and useless, unless you were up against some heavy fortification.  The the M79 was quite popular since it could reach out some distance and was easy to carry.

I'm guessing they didn't run up against many of the Recoiless Rifle's main targets (fixed fortifications and armor) in the jungle.  

The M79 could also have a shotgun round in it, which was pretty devistating

And the preferred method for dealing with snipers in a tree involved the LAW - blow up the damn tree!

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

I'm guessing they didn't run up against many of the Recoiless Rifle's main targets (fixed fortifications and armor) in the jungle.  

The M79 could also have a shotgun round in it, which was pretty devistating

And the preferred method for dealing with snipers in a tree involved the LAW - blow up the damn tree!

There was a lot of neat 40mm stuff for the M79 but not all of it worked that well.   A regular 12 gauge shotgun was better in many cases. 

The M79 was kind of like having your own personal mortar, except a whole lighter easier to carry.

Edited by pipedreams

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

There was a lot of neat 40mm stuff for the M79 but not all of it worked that well.   A regular 12 gauge shotgun was better in many cases. 

The M79 was kind of like having your own personal mortar, except a whole lighter easier to carry.

M203 man myself, great gun

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, tous said:

Eric, identify the aircraft, please.

Not American.

It looks like this:

3C0C2BDC-E39F-474F-90B3-B3342D16AEFF.jpeg.5960448906c6159d9cdcd6491024479c.jpeg

which is a pic I found on a page talking about a new Eurofighter 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Eric said:

It is a Yak-130. NATO designation: Mitten. A trainer and light fighter. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-130

There is another aircraft, called the M-346 Master (NATO designation), that was jointly developed between Yak and Alenia Aermacchi.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alenia_Aermacchi_M-346_Master