Cold Warriors

Eric

1 hour ago, willie-pete said:

Reportedly tapped a Russian underwater comm cable; Operation Ivy Bells.

:number1:

In keeping with this monitoring cables, I have personally monitored Fiber Optic cables (for legitimate purposes) by slightly kinking the optical fiber a coupling the "leaked" optical signal into a secondary fiber.  Nothing is immune.

The people that know little about optical fiber technology will say that this is impossible, until it is done to them.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, janice6 said:

In keeping with this monitoring cables, I have personally monitored Fiber Optic cables (for legitimate purposes) by slightly kinking the optical fiber a coupling the "leaked" optical signal into a secondary fiber.  Nothing is immune.

The people that know little about optical fiber technology will say that this is impossible, until it is done to them.

I don't think the Russians had fiber optic cables in 1979.

:greensupergrin:

If you haven't already; read " Blind Man's Bluff "; a fascinating book.

Edited by willie-pete
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, willie-pete said:

I don't think the Russians had fiber optic cables in 1979.

If you haven't already; read " Blind Man's Bluff "; a fascinating book.

I don't recall their capabilities back that long ago, but.  I had Patents on Integrated Optics devices dated 1978.  I was talking about the ability to "monitor foreign communications", not specifically that my statement applied to that particular instance.

3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I don't recall their capabilities back that long ago, but.  I had Patents on Integrated Optics devices dated 1978.  I was talking about the ability to "monitor foreign communications", not specifically that my statement applied to that particular instance.

Yep, I assumed that. The Parche hacked a standard underwater wire telephone cable with a device that could record all conversations on it and was designed to detach and fall off if the cable was ever raised for repair.  Pretty innovative thinking by the CIA spooks.

By the same guys that brought you the Glomar Explorer.  :greensupergrin:

• Thanks 1

That AIM-54 Phoenix air-to-air missile was a hell of a capability. That had to worry the Sovs back then. I wonder what their game plan was to counter that threat, if the balloon went up?
1200px-US_Navy_051105-F-5480T-005_An_F-14D_Tomcat_conducts_a_mission_over_the_Persian_Gulf-region.thumb.jpg.f054c22b222fc1d0e9f42f2f45e62085.jpg
maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.b790553290e44f78b9291838b97835be.jpg

Overwhelm us with numbers. To this day, knowing what I know, I'm not sure it wouldn't have worked.

Would two guys with M-16s be able to hold off 50 villagers with muskets? Kinda depends on the guys, the villagers, and some luck, one way or the other.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, F14Scott said:

Overwhelm us with numbers. To this day, knowing what I know, I'm not sure it wouldn't have worked.

Would two guys with M-16s be able to hold off 50 villagers with muskets? Kinda depends on the guys, the villagers, and some luck, one way or the other.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Makes you wonder sometimes if we could have done it.

stupid.jpg.563ebcebe78e476b33425f4713093538.jpg

• Like 2