Cold Warriors

Eric

6 hours ago, Eric said:

BUFFs and 'Scrambling' are words just don't seem to belong together!  :P

Very cool video - it's truly impressive to watch those gigantic beasts lumbering into the sky!  And I love how the outrigger wheels are barely over the taxiway, and pass well OUTBOARD of the taxiway lights.

-Pat

• Like 2

On 7/12/2018 at 1:07 AM, tous said:

Aardvark was the official, Air Force name.

There was also an electronic warfare variant named Raven

Ah, the Spark 'Vark

The intruder earlier had me thinking of its electronic warfare equivalent, the Queer.  (EA-6B)

• Like 1

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, janice6 said:

An American Aircraft designer once said, " I can fly a brick, if you give me engines big enough"!

Sounds like the philosophy the designer of the F-4 Phantom had. I love that bird.

82F2D9E1-004B-4A37-8686-EEB5F38DA7DA.jpeg.f7e4b864b573420e8231e1a5e9bdc78b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The YB-35 was a piston-engined version of Jack Northop's vision.

The YB-49 was a jet-engined version of essentially the same aircraft.

Both were produced as flying prototypes.

Yes, they flew.

The Horton He 229 was the first practical flying wing design in the late 1930s, though it was never produced.

Jack Northrop is right up there with Kelly Johnson when it came to innovative, bold aircraft design.

Northrop just didn't have the technology needed to make the YB-35 or YB-49 successful, but Northrop Aviation made the B-2, a direct descendant of the YB-35 and YB-49.

A shame that Jack Northrop didn't live to see it

:patriot:

Edited by tous
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, tous said:

The YB-35 was a piston-engined version of Jack Northop's vision.

The YB-49 was a jet-engined version of essentially the same aircraft.

Both were produced as flying prototypes.

Yes, they flew.

The Horton He 229 was the first practical flying wing design in the late 1930s, though it was never produced.

Jack Northrop is right up there with Kelly Johnson when it came to innovative, bold aircraft design.

Northrop just didn't have the technology needed to make the YB-35 or YB-49 successful, but Northrop Aviation made the B-2, a direct descendant of the YB-35 and YB-49.

A shame that Jack Northrop didn't live to see it

:patriot:

if you advance to about 4:30, they explain that before he died they gave him clearance to see the plans and hold a model.

he wrote a note (he couldn’t speak) saying “now I know why God has kept me alive for the last 25 years”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, willie-pete said:

I remember a period of time when damn near everything with wings was fitted with JATO bottles at one point or another.  It seemed a contest to see what more you could bolt them onto..

Edited by janice6
Can't spell short words
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Makes you wonder where aviation would be right now if the materials and tech had kept up with them

The latest materials and technology is being utilized every moment it becomes available, right now.  Before I retired, I talked with research people on the West coast  about many state of the art A/C programs/experiments. 

Long ago one was Liquid cryogenic gas fueled and completely autonomous, no pilot.  I talked with them about using Fiber Optic Bragg Gratings to measure the level of fuel in the tanks, since Temperatures less than 100 Kelvin were mechanically "difficult" to measure.

In this instance the A/C launched vertically and flew itself up the West coast and landed itself after following a prescribed flight plan.  This was done at night so it didn't scare the populace.

My point is that just because it isn't in the news, it doesn't mean that it isn't being done as we speak.  The research A/C being built and tested are absolutely phenomenal, both in concept and performance.   It is a great time to be alive!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Makes you wonder where aviation would be right now if the materials and tech had kept up with them

The configuration of aircraft today and for the past 100 years: tubular fuselage, attached wings, empennage, will be obsolete in the next 30 - 50 years likely sooner.

Blended wing, tailess aircraft are the future.

• Thanks 1