Cold Warriors

Eric

On 7/11/2018 at 3:03 PM, willie-pete said:

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex.

Dwight David Eisenhower

I think advancement in technology at that time had a lot to do with those too.  We just kept coming up with better stuff.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 7:40 PM, Taipei Personality said:

My favorite as well. I was privileged to spend my entire USAF career on one aircraft - the F-15.

I know (through another forum) an F15 pilot who went against one of the first F22s.  He actually beat it twice (two different scenarios)

He says it had a lot to do with two things:

1)  He had thousands of hours in the F15.  The F22 pilot had about 10 hours in the Raptor.  So he still didn't exactly know what it could do yet.

2)  The F22 pilot seemed to be more concerned with not stuffing his aircraft into the ground than winning the engagement.

He said the F15 is a helluva bird.  But the F22 is absolutely amazing.  But 25+ years of progress will do that.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 2

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Never got to use a M249, never got to use an M4, never got to use an AT4. I feel slighted

I had an M16A3, LAWs, and a Pig. But I carried an M203, that was fun.

I wasn’t a fan of the M203’s quadrant sight, but it did work. It was cool to be able to watch the grenade you just fired all the way to impact. 

• Like 1

I was fresh out of the military and went behind the iron curtain to drive to a New Year's party in Berlin in 1979. The check at the East German border took over half an hour, the whole time we were casually covered by an AK74. I got a little concerned when the officer returned with my passport, saluted me with my new rank - only received six weeks before when I left the service. I saw the Russian soldiers standing by the roadside, smoking, in fairly thin clothes for the temperatures. I saw their barrack windows with news paper as insulation.

I felt the hostility towards me, a young man in a shiny big car. It was tangible.

Edited by Andyd

6 minutes ago, Andyd said:

I was fresh out of the military and went behind the iron curtain to drive to a New Year's party in Berlin in 1979. The check at the East German border took over half an hour, the whole time we were casually covered by an AK74. I got a little concerned when the soldier returned with my passport, saluted me with my new rank - only received six weeks before when I left the service. I saw the Russian soldiers standing by the roadside, smoking, in fairly thin clothes for the temperatures. I saw their barrack windows with news paper as insulation.

I felt the hostility towards me, a young man in a shiny big car. It was tangible.

I think I would have skipped the party or found one a bit friendlier.

1 minute ago, willie-pete said:

I think I would have skipped the party or found one a bit friendlier.

There was no way to turn around> I just was super, super careful to obey all traffic laws. Berlin was great in those days, Club 21 had beer for 1 DM and I knew a girl there that I considered worth the risk. I think, I was young then.

Fast forward to the year 2000, I visited my father in Hamburg with my family and he had arranged a trip to his family in East Germany, right at the border to Poland. My cousin was in the Grenzschutztruppen der DDR. In their training and performance I consider them the successors to the Waffen SS. We went shooting and I was surprised at the very high level of marksmanship that the East Germans had with rifles.

7 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Somebody didn’t use a slide rule

new sub 70 tons too heavy, might not be able to surface.

http://o.canada.com/news/spain-builds-submarine-70-tons-too-heavy

US contractor to help Spain slim down overweight submarine that officials fear can’t surface

Whoops!

The good news is that 70 tons is 3.2% of it's total weight.  Surely they can find a way to cut that much out.  Or increase the size of the ballast tanks.

14 hours ago, Eric said:

I carried an M-60. It got heavy on long walks, but I loved it. The ammo bearer & assistant gunner are the guys who got the **** end of the stick. They carried more weight than me and they didn’t get to fire the gun. 

I carried a M60 for awhile but I'm trying to remember what those shoulder fired anti tank weapons were called.  Seems they were 80mm maybe 90mm with disposable casing.  Maybe a M67? Anyway they weighted a ton to carry.  I fired one a couple time and the back blast would shatter a ammo crate 20-30 ft behind it.

Edited by pipedreams

3 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Whoops!

The good news is that 70 tons is 3.2% of it's total weight.  Surely they can find a way to cut that much out.  Or increase the size of the ballast tanks.

Skinny sailors.

• Like 2

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

I carried a M60 for awhile but I'm trying to remember what those shoulder fired anti tank weapons were called.  Seems they were 80mm maybe 90mm with disposable casing.  Maybe a M67? Anyway they weighted a ton to carry.  I fired one a couple time and the back blast would shatter a ammo crate 20-30 ft behind it.

Did it look like this?

index.jpg.b85069907f34e4027f36ffb71a67b94c.jpg

That's an M47 Dragon guided anti-tank missile. If it wasn't that, it was probably an M72 LAW rocket or an AT4, depending on when you were in.

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Did it look like this?

index.jpg.b85069907f34e4027f36ffb71a67b94c.jpg

That's an M47 Dragon guided anti-tank missile. If it wasn't that, it was probably an M72 LAW rocket or an AT4, depending on when you were in.

I was got out in 65 as Viet Nam was starting to really built up.  I finally found a picture, a M67 recoilless rifle, weight 38 pounds, 53 inches long.  All I could remember it was heave and awkward.  Apparently there are some still around per the article I found.   After I got off the M60 I carried an M14 the rest of the time.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=857

image.png.eac8a50a04b0ebe46b0d9d1d5e1cec7e.png

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, pipedreams said:

I was got out in 65 as Viet Nam was starting to really built up.  I finally found a picture, a M67 recoilless rifle, weight 38 pounds, 53 inches long.  All I could remember it was heave and awkward.  Apparently there are some still around per the article I found.   After I got off the M60 I carried an M14 the rest of the time.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=857

image.png.eac8a50a04b0ebe46b0d9d1d5e1cec7e.png

I wonder why he has the blank adapter installed on that M-16? Must be training.

• Like 1

Ric, most of us didn't get to see F/A-18Es and AV-8Bs  every day, much less hear them start up and take off.

My office was in a building miles from Building 2.

The loudest noise we experienced was the clacking of typewriters or computer keyboards.

Although, when I did sneak off to see the stuff, we always had good ear protection.

Few things get the heart pumping faster than being close to two massive turbofans spooling up.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Thanks 1