Old Pictures

Eric

36 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Periodically complaints were registered about loud commercials - often used car salesmen during the wee hours. The commercials usually did not exceed the maximum loudness, but they were cranked up where the average loudness was far higher than reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The media constantly tried to refute the idea, but listeners could hear the difference!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

ddcb556f477d1d6b773c9bd305336cd0.jpg

Diary Queen timeline posted at the local store, a franchise operation.

Note that Warren Buffett’s investment vehicle bought the company a number of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do remember the novelty of the first Dairy Queen opening in my home town.  The soft Ice Cream was so different from the Ice Cream you got at the dedicated Ice Cream stores in town.

Different was fun.

But I guess most of you know that already, considering many of us are men. 

I won't presume to speak for the women here, they will have to present their own case.

But I presume that people are more alike than not.

• Administrators

The car circled in red is bugging me. I think it is a Mercedes station wagon, but I can’t pin it down. Anyone recognize it? It appears to have a Euro-spec license plate mount. It could have been a grey market car brought back by a returning serviceman.

3AB3B108-C58D-4326-8D4A-CC4D76396987.jpeg.12d8078d8c3dc8b714bfe11597f322c9.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Eric said:

The car circled in red is bugging me. I think it is a Mercedes station wagon, but I can’t pin it down. Anyone recognize it? It appears to have a Euro-spec license plate mount. It could have been a grey market car brought back by a returning serviceman.

3AB3B108-C58D-4326-8D4A-CC4D76396987.jpeg.12d8078d8c3dc8b714bfe11597f322c9.jpeg

Is it this one?  A Simca 1501 Special Estate?

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Is it this one?  A Simca 1501 Special Estate?

Yep, that appears to be it. The roofs were too tall on all the Mercedes and they didn’t have that flared wheelwell lip. I couldn’t think of what else it could have been though. 

Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

If you are running W10, right click on "ask Bing about this picture".  Then select the picture from  the title "mystery car pix"  it will take you to a forum where someone asked to identify that same car.  The response is a video and the id of the car., 

• Like 1

Just now, Eric said:

The Jag at least was an easy one to ID for me. I’ve put a lot of hours into one just like it. 

They were a fascinating car. My BIL and I owned one for a week and sold it 'cause it was too  expensive to restore.

It was a brand new Yellow XKE with the Chrome wire wheels still in cosmoline in shipment.  Some turd flipped a cigarette into the interior while it was on the train for delivery.

We had an offer that was too good to turn down even for a cockpit complete interior burn.  Everything else except the interior was perfect.

That was where I first saw a big sticker on the firewall that said "Warning Positive Earth".  I still laugh at that.  It's correct, but in America it's funny.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, janice6 said:

They were a fascinating car. My BIL and I owned one for a week and sold it 'cause it was too  expensive to restore.

It was a brand new Yellow XKE with the Chrome wire wheels still in cosmoline in shipment.  Some turd flipped a cigarette into the interior while it was on the train for delivery.

We had an offer that was too good to turn down even for a cockpit complete interior burn.  Everything else except the interior was perfect.

That was where I first saw a big sticker on the firewall that said "Warning Positive Earth".  I still laugh at that.  It's correct, but in America it's funny.

They were hand-built, which made it a challenge to fabricate parts for it, or even fit a body or structural part from another XK. Once you wrap your head around that though, it was rather liberating.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

They were hand-built, which made it a challenge to fabricate parts for it, or even fit a body or structural part from another XK. Once you wrap your head around that though, it was rather liberating.

fabricating body sheet metal was a task I loved to do.  But I didn't have the drive, money, or inclination, to hunt interior parts.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, janice6 said:

fabricating body sheet metal was a task I loved to do.  But I didn't have the drive, money, or inclination, to hunt interior parts.

There is a lot of structural wood in them as well. If you make a trunk floor, for instance, you have to put a lot more measuring into the job, plus leave enough material for fitting. It’s not a big deal, but it was perplexing the first time I made that piece and it didn’t fit. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Eric said:

There is a lot of structural wood in them as well. If you make a trunk floor, for instance, you have to put a lot more measuring into the job, plus leave enough material for fitting. It’s not a big deal, but it was perplexing the first time I made that piece and it didn’t fit. 

I wouldn't mind trying it but with someone with experience to walk me through it first.

Creativity is fun, it takes some of the work out of it, but it get's tempered with the client giving you little time.

When I was doing furniture work I was surprised to find that Red Oak was crap for outside exposure, but White Oak was better than many other woods for standing up to moisture and weathering.  I guess that's why ships like Old Ironsides used White Oak.

So some knowledge of woodwork is also necessary and I didn't have it at the time.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Eric said:

I got sidetracked. I would pick the Jag, if that Olds climbing up its ass doesn’t rear-end it. 

Not a bad choice, but not my reference. That's the North Avenue exit at I-75 in the ATL, where resides North Avenue Trade School to the west and The Varsity Hot Dog Emporium to the east. The Varsity's trademark greeting to customers is "What'll ya have?"

NATS's trademark greeting is "How About Those Yellow Jackets, Sir?"