Old Pictures

Eric

A couple enjoys the view of Lake Huron in Mackinac National Park in 1887.

A couple enjoys the view of Lake Huron in Mackinac National Park in 1887..jpeg

A horse-drawn carriage is shown on Mackinac Island in 1887, during the 20-year period the island was home to a national park.

2066661073_Ahorse-drawncarriageisshownonMackinacIslandin1887duringthe20-yearperiodtheislandwashometoanationalpark..jpeg.55f21b4930c8cb24cbe5841e35521842.jpeg

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, pipedreams said:

German 6th army after surrendering at Stalin,  It would appear they are fresh out Sieg Heils though.

German 6th army after surrendering at Stalin It would appear they are fresh out Sieg Heils though.jpeg

95000 surrendered.  40000 were dead in the first month of Typhus, malnutrition, exhaustion, etc.  The same problems of the concentration camp survivors, but mostly caused be the conditions in the city before the surrender.  Of the other 55000, only 5000 returned to Germany.  

Hawk 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The top one is an elevator at a coal mine. I don’t have a clue about the other one. The ladies look relaxed. 

The other one appears to be a multi level condo iron lung. Iron lungs were in common use circa 1950 for use with polio victims. Think today there are alternate devices for the same task.

Wonder how many people were on the coal mine elevator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Long ago, Johnny Carson had Tony Randall on as a guest.  Johnny mentioned, "the good old days", while referencing Randall's show business career.  Randall went into a tirade about, "The good old days"! 
He said "There were NO good old days!".  "The cities (NYC in particular) were dirty and filthy!  There was Horse manure in the streets, the stench was overwhelming.  The streets were dirt in many instances, and so filthy that women's skirts were Black and filthy from dragging in the crap and dirt.  Crossing the streets was nauseating.  Not to mention that everything was Black and covered in soot, from the Coal used to heat every building, and the Coal delivery dust in the air also.  It was impossible to be clean when even the air was dirty all the time."
He said there was essentially no medical help back then.  If you had Heart problems of any sort, even what is considered minor now, you would probably die from it at an early age.  Sickness and disease was a constant threat since immunizations and vaccines were not available.  If you caught anything you had to be very careful since you could die from almost anything, disease, infections from the dirty environment, epidemics of all kinds.
He concluded by saying that there was no "good old days".  He claimed that the only good old days are the here and now!".  He said that everybody should cherish what they have and thank God that those days are over and something better is in their place now.
It was a very sobering experience listening to him tell about, "The good old days".

The Way We Were - Streisand

Mem'ries light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored mem'ries of the way we were
Scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another for the way we were
Can it be that it was all so simple then
Or has time rewritten every line
If we had the chance to do it all again, tell me, would we, could we
Mem'ries may be beautiful and yet
What's too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget
So it's the laughter we will remember
Whenever we remember the way we were
The way we were

Songwriters: Alan Bergman / Marilyn Bergman / Marvin Hamlisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, pipedreams said:

German 6th army after surrendering at Stalin,  It would appear they are fresh out Sieg Heils though.

German 6th army after surrendering at Stalin It would appear they are fresh out Sieg Heils though.jpeg

Yeah, the Nazis were a bad bunch, but most of the German soldiers deserved better than how they were treated by the soviets.

• Like 2