Extinct Airlines

Eric

Once upon a time in a land far away (Saudi Arabia) I wanted to go on a month long round the world vacation. Pan Am was having a fare sale, for $2000 I could fly around the world with unlimited stops. My employer covered $1500, I paid $500 and if I crossed the equator for any stop, additional $500. I went to Thailand, Hong Kong, Japan, Hawaii, mainland US and back to Saudi Arabia. Talk about jet lagged.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

braniff2.jpg.7d503014294e8cb67a9904e5a584ef72.jpg

I remember Braniff from their ads at the end of South Park cartoons.   Braniff was long gone by then but the creators of South Park called their production company Braniff Productions.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ARP said:

USAir, was one of the largest employers in Pittsburgh and the airport was built as a hub for them. Then things went south and they pulled up stakes and moved the hub to Charlotte. Then they were acquired by American. Described in wikipedia as "an emblem of mismanagement."

At one time, probably early 90s, USAir had hubs in Pittsburgh, Dayton, and Indianapolis.  Hubs.  Did they not have a map?

North Central, Midway, Comair, ASA, Northwest Orient (Flew me to the ROK and back in '77 and '78)

Edited by xromad
Add info.

My first flight was on Mohawk Airlines out of Albany, NY, on my way to basic training in San Antonio in Sept, 1965.  We landed in Newark to change planes and essentially pick up the guys who, unbeknownst to all of us, became my roommates (open bay barracks) for the next few months.

image.png.2126c93334b902eaf2b035a1c2917cae.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, crockett said:

Chalk's was also an icon, well known from Miami Vice.

They had an autographed photo from Michael Philip Thomas in their office down at the MacArthur causeway. One of their planes went upside down in a hurricane. I should still have some photos somewhere.

MallardN2969Chalks.jpg

Years ago there used to be service like this between Long Beach and Catalina Island, flew it several time.   Flying at about an altitude of 1,000 feet, the seaplane cut across the channel to Catalina in 15 minutes.   After a splash landing the pilot would motor the seaplane onto a concrete ramp at Pebbly Beach, about a mile south of Avalon.  I'm sure it has been replaced with something more modern.

• Like 2