Extinct Airlines

Eric

Now that we're talking about our first flights, My first flight was when I was about 4 or 5 years old in 1952 or 53. My dad was an aeronautical engineer and was interested in flying but also had the money to afford Air travel for a family of 4. Back in the early 50's air travel was a luxury.  But we would fly every year whne he got vaxcation time either to northern Ontario where his parents lived, or to Iowa where my mother's parents lived. One year when I was 6 or 7 they sent me on the airplane to Canada by myself. The stewardesses made a big fuss over me.

At the time when air travel was considered a luxury, airline food was as good as the food served in the better restaurants qat the time. Real butter, cloth napkins, silverware. I also remember our first flight on a Jet Aircraft in the late 50's and I remember my dad pointing gout to me how smooth the jet was compared to the earlier turboprops and pointed out to me how little the coffee in his cup vibrated on the dinner tray.

I remember that we usually flew American Airlines and I remember how those planes looked with the polished aluminum and the orange trim. The first ones we flew on were probably DC4's  American Airlines is still in business today after having bought out TWA in 2001 and is currently part of Oneworld alliance, which owns British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair in the transatlantic market and with Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines in the transpacific market

American9.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Now that we're talking about our first flights, My first flight was when I was about 4 or 5 years old in 1952 or 53. My dad was an aeronautical engineer and was interested in flying but also had the money to afford Air travel for a family of 4. Back in the early 50's air travel was a luxury.  But we would fly every year whne he got vaxcation time either to northern Ontario where his parents lived, or to Iowa where my mother's parents lived. One year when I was 6 or 7 they sent me on the airplane to Canada by myself. The stewardesses made a big fuss over me.

At the time when air travel was considered a luxury, airline food was as good as the food served in the better restaurants qat the time. Real butter, cloth napkins, silverware. I also remember our first flight on a Jet Aircraft in the late 50's and I remember my dad pointing gout to me how smooth the jet was compared to the earlier turboprops and pointed out to me how little the coffee in his cup vibrated on the dinner tray.

I remember that we usually flew American Airlines and I remember how those planes looked with the polished aluminum and the orange trim. The first ones we flew on were probably DC4's  American Airlines is still in business today after having bought out TWA in 2001 and is currently part of Oneworld alliance, which owns British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair in the transatlantic market and with Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines in the transpacific market

American9.jpg

I agree about the food.  Back then it was excellent. 

21 minutes ago, DrB said:

Found a picture.

ford_trimotor.jpg

Amazing planes, They were actually the first successful commercial "Airliner".

The Ford Trimotor was a development of previous designs by William Bushnell Stout, using structural principles copied from the work of Professor Hugo Junkers, the noted German all-metal aircraft design pioneer, and adapted to an airframe very similar to the single engine Fokker F.VII - even using the same airfoil cross section at the wing root. Junkers successfully sued Ford in 1924 for patent infringement. The plane used three Curtiss-Wright air-cooled radial engines ranging from 200 horsepower to 300 and were later replaced by more powerful Pratt & Whitney Radials.

The first planes were originally built with corrugated aluminum outer bodies for strength but air turbulence ate up a lot of power and later they went to non-corrugated aluminum. The planes were rugged and easy to work on and remained in service many years after Ford ceased production in 1933.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, crockett said:

As long as they don't drop out of the sky. Chalk's had several issues going on over the years. This one killed 20.

Chalks only ever had one passenger fatality accident in close to 100 years

Edited by AK_Stick