Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

Eric

23 hours ago, tous said:

The problem with fiber optic cabling is that you can sends bits down it, but not voltage and amps.

So, signalling a servo to activate is nice, but without power it's just ballast.

NB aircarver and I have designed the superluminal space plane to reply totally on Hayes 2400 baud modems and UTP.

We had to save money somewhere, and you wouldn't believe how cheap them Hayes modems are.

Firefox was voice activated if the helmet mind reader went out

36446032-88FB-40F7-A9C2-632F8E28DA68.jpeg.779f26fbb36d8d04fa55c23892f68389.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:49 PM, OV10 said:

Northrop F-5

My anatomy and physiology professor used to fly these. Said they were like a sports car- with enough power to get you into or out of, whatever trouble you wanted. This old fella was a USAF flight instructor, a veterinarian, and a college professor.

I could listen to him talk for HOURS. Best prof I ever had.

• Like 4

The T-38 is four inches shorter and has seven inches less wingspan.

The F-16 has about twice the loaded max weight and almost twice the max v at altitude.

They really aren't comparable in role, bu they're both neater than heck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

My anatomy and physiology professor used to fly these. Said they were like a sports car- with enough power to get you into or out of, whatever trouble you wanted. This old fella was a USAF flight instructor, a veterinarian, and a college professor.

I could listen to him talk for HOURS. Best prof I ever had.

Probably refueled the T-38 a million or so times in Texas.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tous said:

The F-16 has about twice the loaded max weight and almost twice the max v at altitude.

Yeah, it's a Ginger and Mary Ann pick. Just give me the ugly one. :)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tous said:

T-38 is just a trainer now, but wasn’t it a fighter design?

2 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Little known fact. Germany had/has about 50 T-38's they they owned stationed at Sheppard AFB when I was stationed there.  German pilots would come to Sheppard and train in the T-38's with USAF IP's.  They were painted white like the US counterparts.

They were a rowdy bunch in the O Club; got " stripper night " shut down for us - first and LAST night.

Thank you very much.

Edited by willie-pete
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dric902 said:

It was indeed developed as a light-weight, barely supersonic fighter aircraft in the 1960s.

The US Air Force wasn't interested.  They already had as many highly-capable aircraft than they could count, mainly the A-7 Corsair and then the  F-4 Phantom.

But, the F-5 and future variants had one advantage.  They were cheap to fly off and cheap to keep in the air, so they were appealing to countries with smaller defense budgets.

Then, the Air Force discovered that cheap to buy, cheap to fly made for a great trainer.

Edited by tous
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, tous said:

It was indeed developed as a light-weight, barely supersonic fighter aircraft in the 1960s.

The US Air Force wasn't interested.  They already had as many highly-capable aircraft than they could count, mainly the A-7 Corsair and then the  F-4 Phantom.

But, the F-5 and future variants had one advantage.  They were cheap to fly off and cheap to keep in the air, so they were appealing to countries with smaller defense budgets.

Then, the Air Force discovered that cheap to buy, cheap to fly made for a great trainer.

Yep, cheap to write off also. I watched a few get written off as trainers. My office was right off the runway.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tous said:

Anyone else remember seeing the Air Force Thunderbirds when they were flying F-100 Super Sabres and the Navy Blue Angels when they were flying Grumman F-9F Panthers and F-11 Tigers?

Anyone else feeling really old.  :sigh:

Not that old; I first saw them in T-38's after the oil embargo hit. Came to my base for a airshow; I had to get barrels of smoke oil in for them

Edited by willie-pete
  • Like 2