Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

Eric

1 hour ago, Dric902 said:

Was that the guy the crossed the East German border in the ‘80s. Landed at Frankfort?

No, he flew to Japan.  The Foxbat was designed to be a high speed interceptor to shoot down the XB-70 Valkyrie.  (Some of the aircraft shown in the video are wrong, but the overall video is a good summary.)

Edited by fortyofforty

On 9/8/2018 at 10:27 PM, willie-pete said:

Little known fact. Germany had/has about 50 T-38's they they owned stationed at Sheppard AFB when I was stationed there.  German pilots would come to Sheppard and train in the T-38's with USAF IP's.  They were painted white like the US counterparts.

They were a rowdy bunch in the O Club; got " stripper night " shut down for us - first and LAST night.

Thank you very much.

Germany had F-104s at Luke AFB when I was stationed there in the early 1980s and F-4s at Holloman AFB when I was stationed there in the mid-1980s.

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:54 PM, tous said:

The T-38 is four inches shorter and has seven inches less wingspan.

The F-16 has about twice the loaded max weight and almost twice the max v at altitude.

They really aren't comparable in role, bu they're both neater than heck.

My tour guide at Lockheed said that the F-16 hardpoint mid wing was rated for 1,000 lb. bomb.  I was amazed because the hard point was a block of solid stainless steel and the full thickness of the wing.  I thought of some of the maneuvers necessary with the bomb in place and the subsequent G's, and the strength of the structure must be incredible.

Then the wing appeared incredibly thin even at the root.  I'm not an aeronautical engineer, but that looked like a daunting design effort loadout.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2