How many mags to you USE?

Quickling

I always see "how many mags should I own" threads all over the net, and photos of guys with 30+ mags per gun. I'm guilty of having between 5-8 mags per firearm and usually keep my eye out for cheap used ones to toss in the bin.

But honestly, how many mags do you use? And by that I mean, at the range, or taking a class, or shooting an event... how many mags do you bring with you and use on a regular basis.

2-7

Depends on the pistol.

I only have the two from the box for my SR-22. I don't imagine I'll buy any more for it.

I've got 5 OEM mags for my G43 and 3 ETS ones that are range only.  I'll load them all up ahead of time for use.  One (or more) stays full of carry ammo and doesn't get used, so I don't have to leave the range with all empty guns.

It varies from gun to gun.

EDC guns get 5 each minimum, and I have been known to carry that many for each gun on me depending on where I am traveling.  All of them are OEM.

For range use, usually only one, maybe two get used, as I'm a bit of a skinflint and don't want to go through ammunition very quickly.  

Rifles each have at least half a dozen.  Not because I need them (seriously, how many 10 round mags do you really need for a bolt action rifle?) but just because I can.  I use the excuse of getting free shipping to add them to orders if I'm not quite enough in the cart (which is usually worth a lot less than the magazines are, but that's why it's an excuse)

Edited by Cougar_ml

I just like them.  If I had enough to fill a swimming pool I would Scrooge McDuck off the diving board into my pool of magazines.

50+ AR15, 12 AK47, and a dozen or so for most of the handguns I own. 

Not to mention a whole heap of Safariland Comp I, II, and III speedloaders. 

9 hours ago, fortyofforty said:

Having lived through the Democrat Magazine Ban of the 1990s, I now have bins full of high capacity magazines for each of my primary weapons.  I have enough to supply my own needs, and pass them out to neighbors in the event of mass unrest.

This right here is the correct answer folks. Bottom line is that magazines were designed to be a disposable item. The idiotic 1994 law changed that dynamic.

9 hours ago, fortyofforty said:

Having lived through the Democrat Magazine Ban of the 1990s, I now have bins full of high capacity magazines for each of my primary weapons.  I have enough to supply my own needs, and pass them out to neighbors in the event of mass unrest.

God that was a PITA. 

If another ban were to be passed you would appreciate every single magazine you have, and still probably wish for more. 

I never pass on an opportunity to acquire some magazines for a good price. 

I even have a few mags for common guns that I don’t even own. You never know when they may come in handy. 

12 minutes ago, Collim1 said:

God that was a PITA. 

If another ban were to be passed you would appreciate every single magazine you have, and still probably wish for more. 

I never pass on an opportunity to acquire some magazines for a good price. 

I even have a few mags for common guns that I don’t even own. You never know when they may come in handy. 

Even as an LEO it was a pain.  I had to get the Chief to sign off on a letter to buy full capacity mags for my personally owned G21.  The department was large enough that he really didn't know me and I was still pretty green at that point, so it was a shot in the dark as to if he would approve it. Thankfully, he did sign off on the request.

Today, I'd just be out of luck.

5 hours ago, Slotback said:

This right here is the correct answer folks. Bottom line is that magazines were designed to be a disposable item. The idiotic 1994 law changed that dynamic.

I was not an avid shooter when the Law impacted magazines.  Although my preference runs towards OEM equipment,  I try not to let a good magazine price get by me.