Random Posting

Eric

One of our physicists was tearing down the old Electron Microscope and got to the oil bath holding the 100KV power supply capacitors.  He grounded the caps out, and then reached down into the oil bath to start disconnecting the first capacitor.  He got shocked. 

He reaction was to jerk his arm out of the oil bath, but when he did that he snagged the inside of his elbow on a 1" long 1/4 x20 bolt that held the lid on the oil bath.  It slit the inside of his arm halfway to the wrist.

He slit the skin so cleanly that it opened up wide and you could see the muscles inside of this forearm.  We called the nurse and she panicked, so we called the hospital to send an ambulance to the lab.  

He recovered and we all gave him lots of crap for knowing momentary discharging DC capacitors causes them to recharge in the opposite polarity to almost the original voltage.  Yet he did it anyway!

You are suppose to clip and ground onto the capacitor, and leave it there!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, janice6 said:

He recovered and we all gave him lots of crap for knowing momentary discharging DC capacitors causes them to recharge in the opposite polarity to almost the original voltage.  Yet he did it anyway!

You are suppose to clip and ground onto the capacitor, and leave it there!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Cubdriver said:

Beware the lightning that lurketh in the undischarged capacitor, lest it bounce thee upon thy buttocks in a most un technician-like manner

“You forgot to hook up the doll”

OMG Nerdgasm

(just kidding)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

How in the hell did that happen?

That front seam must have been compromised somehow and the wind got at it while they drove. I've never seen it happen and I would have thought that if it did, it would be because of rust. Not the case here. I doubt if it let go without the driver being aware that something was wrong with his hood. That's what happens when you put **** off.

Notice that the hood latch held. I thought it was funny that the fabric hood liner was intact and still laying in position, although it probably fluttered about like a mad bastard when they were driving.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

That front seam must have been compromised somehow and the wind got at it while they drove. I've never seen it happen and I would have thought that if it did, it would be because of rust. Not the case here. I doubt if it let go without the driver being aware that something was wrong with his hood. That's what happens when you put **** off.

Notice that the hood latch held. I thought it was funny that the fabric hood liner was intact and still laying in position, although it probably fluttered about like a mad bastard when they were driving.

It looks like something is going on with that front seam (it's dark along where the weld should be).  Not sure what would cause that.

If I were driving that, no lie - I would probably shvt myself.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

It looks like something is going on with that front seam (it's dark along where the weld should be).  Not sure what would cause that.

If I were driving that, no lie - I would probably shvt myself.

If it were welded, it wouldn't be one weld. It would be a dozen or so spot welds. If it were spot welds and they pulled apart, there should be a series of puckers along the edges of the panels, where the metal stretched and distorted. Maybe Cadillac used an adhesive seam sealer to bond the hood skin to the inner support. That would make the failure of that seam more explainable. Spot welds are tough as hell. I wouldn't expect to see them fail like that.

1 hour ago, Eric said:

If it were welded, it wouldn't be one weld. It would be a dozen or so spot welds. If it were spot welds and they pulled apart, there should be a series of puckers along the edges of the panels, where the metal stretched and distorted. Maybe Cadillac used an adhesive seam sealer to bond the hood skin to the inner support. That would make the failure of that seam more explainable. Spot welds are tough as hell. I wouldn't expect to see them fail like that.

100% agree.  That is a really strange - and scary - failure.  Adhesives are becoming more and more common on cars.  I think the Audi R8/R10 chassis is basically built using adhesives and rivets, for instance.

Wonder if that could be an aftermarket hood?

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic