Random Posting

Eric

• Administrators
Just now, janice6 said:

Times were different then.

Physics wasn't and there was a lot of chromed metal waiting to arrest the children's forward progress, in an accident.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

Physics wasn't and there was a lot of chromed metal waiting to arrest the children's forward progress, in an accident.

True.  But, cars were still a physics miracle and just the idea of going from place to place in relative comfort was astounding. Safety was a word related to the pristine condition of the car, it didn't involve the people yet.  You could have a broken bone, but the first words from another person was, well how is the car?

• Like 2

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Heard those were also good for date nights at the drive in theater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kids? No, that’s where kids come from.

• Haha 3

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Must have been a bear to steer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notice the dual tires on the right-front and single tires elsewhere?

• Like 2

• Administrators
Just now, janice6 said:

You're right!  That just slipped by me.  I looked and thought both fronts were duals.

Were they running a clockwise track?

That r/f tire was probably the only drive wheel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
Just now, janice6 said:

I guess the obvious flew right by me.  Thanks!

I’m just guessing, but it was a race car and traction would have been important, especially on those crappy old tires. 

On another note, it doesn’t look like the front wheels are sprung. They attach directly to the crankshaft. I found a pic that confirms it. So that heavy-ass motor is riding unsprung on the front wheels and it is a direct drive setup. That must have been a lively ride.

Also, that bulkhead in front of the driver is the radiator. That must have sucked at the best of times and if the radiator let go...

BDCF7036-8B3E-4D6A-9FCC-86947EE29586.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Eric said:

I’m just guessing, but it was a race car and traction would have been important, especially on those crappy old tires. 

On another note, it doesn’t look like the front wheels are sprung. They attach directly to the crankshaft. I found a pic that confirms it. So that heavy-ass motor is riding unsprung on the front wheels and it is a direct drive setup. That must have been a lively ride.

Also, that bulkhead in front of the driver is the radiator. That must have sucked at the best of times and if the radiator let go...

BDCF7036-8B3E-4D6A-9FCC-86947EE29586.jpeg

BTW, this car was designed by the same guy who invented the Christie Suspension system for tanks and other tracked vehicles. The design met with limited success in the US, but the Soviets LOVED it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eric said:

BTW, this car was designed by the same guy who invented the Christie Suspension system for tanks and other tracked vehicles. The design met with limited success in the US, but the Soviets LOVED it. 

20 LITERS!!!!!!!!  Holy crap.  Think of the torque!

• Like 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic