Random Posting

Eric

18 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

This is an explanation from a serious card-carrying non-geek but here it is. There are several sites that I visit on a regular basis and have for years. All of a sudden, about two weeks ago now, I get the message posted below. But I have an Apple phone that uses Verizon and I can go to those sites without any issues and I know that the certificates are still good. Is Hughes being woke and cutting me off from the info or what? I am really getting fried about it and I don't want to call them and go off without evidence.

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 5.03.39 PM.png

It's not likely on your end.   So here's the deal.   Certificates make sure you are who you are...and the other guy is who they are.   They are normal.  Most people get new certificates and don't know it.   And life goes on.  It depends on the website and how much security you need.

Anyway. It looks to me by your screen shot that the certificate issued for Magabook has expired and you need a new one.   This should be done automatically

One of the issues may be that the organization that authorized the certificate has change the dates.  It used to be a certificate was good for 365 days.  They have been inching back the time line for websites to buy certificates back to the point where it's almost 340 days of the year.   Some people think in high security websites certificates need to be replaced every six months.

Any.   My bet is this is what's known as a Wild Card certificate Magabook needs a new one.

In short:  Not on your side.

Just a guess from what I've seen.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Historian said:

It's not likely on your end.   So here's the deal.   Certificates make sure you are who you are...and the other guy is who they are.   They are normal.  Most people get new certificates and don't know it.   And life goes on.  It depends on the website and how much security you need.

Anyway. It looks to me by your screen shot that the certificate issued for Magabook has expired and you need a new one.   This should be done automatically

One of the issues may be that the organization that authorized the certificate has change the dates.  It used to be a certificate was good for 365 days.  They have been inching back the time line for websites to buy certificates back to the point where it's almost 340 days of the year.   Some people think in high security websites certificates need to be replaced every six months.

Any.   My bet is this is what's known as a Wild Card certificate Magabook needs a new one.

In short:  Not on your side.

Just a guess from what I've seen.

The only problem with that is that I can go to and log in to my account on Magabook with my cell phone which uses Verizon. So I'm thinking that whoever the authority is at Hughes is not accepting updated certificates or they have a problem in that area. I am at the point of calling Hughes and demanding an explanation and a refund for the time I have been unable to access the many sites that they are telling me have expired certificates, which I know to be a lie, because I can access them from two other sources.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

The only problem with that is that I can go to and log in to my account on Magabook with my cell phone which uses Verizon. So I'm thinking that whoever the authority is at Hughes is not accepting updated certificates or they have a problem in that area. I am at the point of calling Hughes and demanding an explanation and a refund for the time I have been unable to access the many sites that they are telling me have expired certificates, which I know to be a lie, because I can access them from two other sources.

Each device has it's own certificate....likely issued at different times.   Hughes passes traffic. 

The certificate authority is the one who issues it.  Could be your need to flush the old whatever machine is failing to release and renew the cert.   That's an option.  In fact it might be a good one since other devices are working.  You could delete that cert and see if Magabook reissues a good one.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Historian said:

Each device has it's own certificate....likely issued at different times.   Hughes passes traffic. 

The certificate authority is the one who issues it.  Could be your need to flush the old whatever machine is failing to release and renew the cert.   That's an option.  In fact it might be a good one since other devices are working.  You could delete that cert and see if Magabook reissues a good one.

I'm going to pass that information on to the person that's trying to help me get this issue corrected. Maybe they'll be able to understand how to correct it if that's the problem. And they're more computer literate than I am by a lot. Thanks for your help.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I'm going to pass that information on to the person that's trying to help me get this issue corrected. Maybe they'll be able to understand how to correct it if that's the problem. And they're more computer literate than I am by a lot. Thanks for your help.

Anytime.   I'm not a certificate expert but i have used them before and installed them.   You are at least on the right course to figuring it out.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Historian said:

Anytime.   I'm not a certificate expert but i have used them before and installed them.   You are at least on the right course to figuring it out.

After everybody in the Biden administration has been labelled an "expert" but they don't know sh*t, I'm not sure if an expert is what I need, lol, but your help is probably more qualified and is very much appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

After everybody in the Biden administration has been labelled an "expert" but they don't know sh*t, I'm not sure if an expert is what I need, lol, but your help is probably more qualified and is very much appreciated. 

I don[t consider myself an expert on anything but pissing Mrs. Historian off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Power washing Things And The Results Were So Satisfying.

That Was A Big Old Job

Old Outdoor Table (Pressure Wash, Dry, Sand, Oil)

Rescued An Old Rotten Outdoor Table (Pressure Wash, Dry, Sand, Oil)

Got A Job Washing, Might Start A YouTube Channel

They are also good for cutting out the weeds between the cracks in concrete.  No, it isn't easier than spraying weed killer, but it's a hell of a lot more fun!

Have you ever tried wood carving with a pressure washer....................

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

They are also good for cutting out the weeds between the cracks in concrete.  No, it isn't easier than spraying weed killer, but it's a hell of a lot more fun!

Have you ever tried wood carving with a pressure washer....................

My wife purchased a power washer some time ago and i finally put it together.   So, I find myself pressure washing everything i can these days.  That thing is a fun tool.  My drive way looks new! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

67062595_424584688145861_8929578926435467264_o.jpg

There are essentially three jobs left in this country.

1.  Writing computer programs for yourself or others.

2.  Working for others doing what the computer programs tell you to do.

3.  Cleaning up after those who write computer programs and those who do what

computer programs tell them to do.

Remember the story in "The Hitchhiker's  Guide To The Galaxy" about how they got rid of the menial phone sanitizers.

"As you doubtlessly remember, somewhere in the Hitchhiker’s Guide series Mr. Adams told the story of the The Golgafrinchans, a race of people who sent their Telephone Sanitizer population away.

The Sanitizers were sent along with another third of the planet’s population who were also deemed useless to form a colony on a remote planet (Earth as it happens). Of course, the remaining Golgafrinchan population was then wiped out by a virulent disease contracted via unsanitary telephones.' ..........    Douglas Adams right again: Lack of phone sanitizers will doom planet | Collateral Damage (wordpress.com)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DAKA said:

Ya think it might be the usual suspect    WHERE ALL THE GOOD STUFF COMES FROM    CHINA    ?

It's worse than you think.  I have two friends who have kids.

Those kids were made in America but assembled with Chinese parts.  (Moms came from China)

• Haha 2