Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, tous said:

Cord and Auburn suffered some of the fate as DeLorean did years later.

Great automobiles in the brochure, not so much in the metal.

More promise than execution.

I’ve had some experience with Auburns and Cords and I think they are damned fine cars. There is a lot of style, craftsmanship and technological innovation represented in those cars. The Cord 810 was an amazing car. The L-29 was as well. I have always love Auburns, Cords and especially Duesenbergs.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eric said:

I’ve had some experience with Auburns and Cords and I think they are damned fine cars. There is a lot of style, craftsmanship and technological innovation represented in those cars. The Cord 810 was an amazing car. The L-29 was as well. I have always love Auburns, Cords and especially Duesenbergs.

I agree that they were great automobiles for their time with remarkable styling, but the compan(ies) just couldn't deliver what they promised and success is measured in units delivered to satisfied customers, no?

It seems as though there was more innovative car making in Indiana than Detroit, even up to the days of Studebaker.

I still admire the Avanti.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, tous said:

I agree that they were great automobiles for their time with remarkable styling, but the compan(ies) just couldn't deliver what they promised and success is measured in units delivered to satisfied customers, no?

It seems as though there was more innovative car making in Indiana than Detroit, even up to the days of Studebaker.

ACD, mostly the D part, were actually victims of the mob destroying itself.  It is a fascinating case study in people giving in to emotion, even as it worsens their economic situation.  

One of the reasons we have (had) so many *barn finds* from the great depression of fantastic cars like Cadillacs and Duesenbergs is because rich people parked them and bought a less flashy car.   The wealthy customer base for ACD was still there.  The problem is you could not drive a nice car.  The masses might throw a brick at you.   

I have actually lived in a place like that.  There are large swaths of people that never stop to think about the economic engine that things they cant afford represent. .  Instead, they attack one of the things that could alleviate their situation.   In other words, the old expression "people who build Rolls Royces need their jobs as well...."

• Like 2

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, tous said:

You’ve got to admit, the fact that the nation was in the Depression helped to take down many car manufacturers. Anyway, the Cord’s front-wheel-drive system was ahead of its time, as was the supercharger technology. Duesenberg’s engines were legendary.

As for Studebaker, them and ACD are apples and oranges, but I like apples and oranges. :crylikeender: I’ve always been a fan of Studebaker as well. I love their late ‘40s pickups the best. They had all-steel, double-wall beds, fuel tanks under the bed, rather than in the back of the cabs, full gauge packages and more. They were doing stuff most other manufacturers didn’t add to their trucks for decades. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, tous said:

Look at this classy chassis. 

1368B1ED-F568-47E4-B89F-B360431F42A7.jpeg.a8758e8837b980109a2f6d38e59d23d8.jpeg

A57B7D7A-FB0F-46CE-9573-D35BE4EF58AD.jpeg.a19381ecc1f6b892940e42a1695b269d.jpeg

• Like 5