Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

1970 Mercedes C111-2 Concept car. This was a fiberglass body and had Gullwing doors and a 4 rotor Wankel engine. It never went into production for two principle reasons. One, Mercedes didn't want to build a fiberglass car and the same car made out of steel would have been too heavy and aluminum would have dented too easily.

The second reason was that the Wankel engine, while it produced a great deal of power for it's weight an displacement, was not fuel efficient and also had to burn a certain amount of oil to keep the chambers sealed. it was designed to burn oil. It also produced poor emissions. M-B has one of these cars in it's Museum but the Wankel engine is kept in storage and the car is fitted with a 70's MB V8 engine to allow it to be driven.

benz0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, pipedreams said:

The uniquely styled Citroen Type SB SM is powered by a Maserati V6 and rides on a hydro-pneumatic suspension.

The uniquely styled Citroen Type SB SM is powered by a Maserati V6 and rides on a hydro-pneumatic suspension..jpg

Those things are a flaming PITA to work on. For example, the right-front fender must be pulled to change the battery.

The engine layout is interesting though. The engine is mounted backwards. There is a little platform mounted forward of the engine with the alternator, AC compressor, etc mounted on it. They are driven by a shaft coming off the back of the engine. The brakes are inboard. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Eric said:

This isn’t what you probably think it is. 

BCB1E5B6-CBBC-4175-A31D-898EA1D17553.jpeg

4401B916-5357-4C1C-A52E-7E39AAACD085.jpeg

59198EF2-5192-4D20-8ED4-88FE4A0FF270.jpeg

DDB8F917-A7FE-4018-AA31-DB9C22B5C6D8.jpeg

Based on the crossed flags emblem, I'm thinking Chevrolet collaboration with a European coach builder.

The front elevation reminds me of a C1 Corvette.

A lot.

Don't keep us in suspense.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tous said:

Based on the crossed flags emblem, I'm thinking Chevrolet collaboration with a European coach builder.

A lot.

1959 Chevy Corvette Italia.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, tous said:

A lot.

It’s a 1959 Corvette concept car with coach work by the Italian coach builders Scaglietti.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, Eric said:

It’s a 1959 Corvette concept car with coach work by the Italian coach builders Scaglietti.

That can't be right.

I'm not that smart.

:biggrin:

The wheels are another clue, except most Corvette wire wheels were hub caps, weren't they?

Overall, I like it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

1970 Mercedes C111-2 Concept car. This was a fiberglass body and had Gullwing doors and a 4 rotor Wankel engine. It never went into production for two principle reasons. One, Mercedes didn't want to build a fiberglass car and the same car made out of steel would have been too heavy and aluminum would have dented too easily.

The second reason was that the Wankel engine, while it produced a great deal of power for it's weight an displacement, was not fuel efficient and also had to burn a certain amount of oil to keep the chambers sealed. it was designed to burn oil. It also produced poor emissions. M-B has one of these cars in it's Museum but the Wankel engine is kept in storage and the car is fitted with a 70's MB V8 engine to allow it to be driven.

benz0.jpg

Well, there's your problem.

Danged thing is orange.

:biggrin:

Utterly classic wedge-shape of the 1970s.

Edited by tous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

The uniquely styled Citroen Type SB SM is powered by a Maserati V6 and rides on a hydro-pneumatic suspension.

The uniquely styled Citroen Type SB SM is powered by a Maserati V6 and rides on a hydro-pneumatic suspension..jpg

If I recall, the brake pedal was a plastic bulb on the floor.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

bq-5c77dcf2004c0.jpeg.aa2cb09bcfb32be9e61f7fe6807a718f.jpeg

My uncle had one of these for years, in the convertible style. His girl friend and later wife won a number of trophies at the local drag strip. The convertible design added just enough weight to move it from the bottom of one class to the top of the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk