Ultimate Watch Thread

crockett

22 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Great thread! I remember an epic thread on the topic elsewhere. (F RussP, BTW).

My current everyday is the Rolex Submariner no date. 40mm stainless workhorse. I bought a 2-tone Sub from a dude at work who was going through a nasty divorce- Traded it on the ND Sub and got enough cash to pay off the wife's car.

Other fillies in the stable include a Marathon JSAR (47mm monster!), a Seiko 007, and a Tag Formula 1.

Up next, I'm gonna track down an Oris Hammerhead as a graduation present to myself. Been looking at the lower end IWC pilot watches, and may eventually trade up the Sub for a GMT-II BLNR. Watches, like guns, could prove to be a VERY expensive interest!

:supergrin:

You are not good for me! I almost got over the Oris Hammerhead, and I almost forgot about the new Stainless Steel Pepsi. :shakefist:

As mentioned, I used to own a Meistertaucher but sold it a couple years go. Small hour hand was a no-go for my aging eyes. Now, the Hammerhead is a piece of beauty and a touch larger as well.

01-752-7733-4183-Set-MB-Oris-Hammerhead-

I saw the new Pepsi at a local AD in January and loved it. But they wouldn't put me on the list. Now a few are out and the price is bumped from $10k to $18-20k. :(

I'll wait a couple years.

GMT_Hero.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&fm=jpg&q=

Edited by crockett
  • Thanks 1

LOL! Sorry, man. Yeah, the hammerhead is definitely next on my list. Man, that stainless Pepsi is beautiful, ain't it??? As far as Rolex GMT's go, It's a solid 3rd on my dream list, behind the batman and the polar explorer.

Seriously, I can think of an easy 30 grand in watches I'd love to own.  And Audi just updated the A7 this year, which means the S7 isn't far behind.

Definitely gonna need help avoiding all that temptation so I can throw down on some land out west...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tadbart said:

LOL! Sorry, man. Yeah, the hammerhead is definitely next on my list. Man, that stainless Pepsi is beautiful, ain't it??? As far as Rolex GMT's go, It's a solid 3rd on my dream list, behind the batman and the polar explorer.

Seriously, I can think of an easy 30 grand in watches I'd love to own.  And Audi just updated the A7 this year, which means the S7 isn't far behind.

Definitely gonna need help avoiding all that temptation so I can throw down on some land out west...

I'm in that boat as well. Been wasting money on this rental home because I can't make up my mind. Just made an offer to the owners 2 days ago. I'll just buy it before the prices go even higher and I keep throwing away equity. As soon as I have found my piece of land, I'll just rent this house out.

If we will have to deal with more of this red tide crap on our beaches, I may look into the far west as well. If I can't have a nice beach, I want my mountains back. Wyoming is pretty high on that list.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crockett said:

I'm in that boat as well. Been wasting money on this rental home because I can't make up my mind. Just made an offer to the owners 2 days ago. I'll just buy it before the prices go even higher and I keep throwing away equity. As soon as I have found my piece of land, I'll just rent this house out.

If we will have to deal with more of this red tide crap on our beaches, I may look into the far west as well. If I can't have a nice beach, I want my mountains back. Wyoming is pretty high on that list.

finna PM ya

6 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Rolex frowns heavily on customization. That thing will come back from the service center looking A LOT different! There's just something about the jubilee bracelet on the stainless BLRO. They hit a 600' home run with that one.

Yeah, I wouldn't touch that mock-up, the jubilee makes it a winner. Like it even better than the white gold.

• Like 1

I'm utilitarian.  Watches became pointless when I started carrying a phone, and I wouldn't want to waste money on gaudy jewelry.  But if a watch was useful...

So there is only one watch I want:  The Seiko SNA413 Flightmaster.

yajw7ff1gwqz.thumb.jpg.ca05ecb3bac6f035fbcd5eb391d4df25.jpg

Of course Seiko discontinued it.  I would have to really convince myself to drop $200 on a watch that I could only pretend would add any utility to my life.  But the only time I see new old stock available, it's when I can't convince myself.

Maybe one day.

Edited by JTMac
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I snagged this one a few months ago after seeing it in a thread at that other place.  Now I've added automatic watches to the list of things I want to buy.  Ugh!!

Seiko%20SRPC91%2002-X2.jpg

Seiko%20SRPC91%2003-X2.jpg

I like the rich blue color, and the way the dial almost appears to shimmer in the light.  (The photos were taken as it was in the middle of changing the day of the week display)

-Pat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cubdriver said:

I snagged this one a few months ago after seeing it in a thread at that other place.  Now I've added automatic watches to the list of things I want to buy.  Ugh!!

Seiko%20SRPC91%2002-X2.jpg

Seiko%20SRPC91%2003-X2.jpg

I like the rich blue color, and the way the dial almost appears to shimmer in the light.  (The photos were taken as it was in the middle of changing the day of the week display)

-Pat

That's a beautiful watch, Flybear!

I've got a 007, but man, it's just plain jane compared to that beast! Wear that monster in good health and happiness!

• Like 2

My collection stands at a Rolex Sub ND 14060, a Tag F1, a Seiko 007, a Tag Pro 2k, a Marathon JSAR.

On the list are a 40mm Explorer 2, and a BLNR.

May be able to swing the Exp2 in the relatively near future, and keep the BLNR as a grail watch.

But I gotta say, there's a Sinn and Cubby's Seiko that are really whispering sweet nothings in my ear...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, MikeG36 said:

Decided to change it up.

GMT.JPG

GREAT timing on that LN GMT-II!!!

It was recently discontinued. You just got yourself a collector's item. Attaboy. Wear it in happiness and good health!

10 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Anyone use/collect pocket watches - especially those used by railroad trainmen - conductors, engineers, dispatchers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am an engineer....I use a Marathon wristwatch