Ultimate Watch Thread

crockett

Well, I think many gun guys are also watch enthusiasts. So here it goes!

What are you currently wearing? Do you have any watches on your wish list? Seen a great time piece? Please share.

And while I'm at it: I had a poll on GT between an ORIS and a SINN watch. In the end ORIS won the poll. I sill haven't made up my mind. All I know is that really want a nice Swiss or German made automatic diver. Something I will wear every day for a long time.

Right now the mentioned ORIS with depth gauge is on top of the list (photos below). It comes with both a rubber and stainless steel bracelet in a nice set. Do you guys have any other suggestions along those lines?

65-3.jpg

oris-aquis-depth-gauge-03.jpg

• Like 3

i had alot at one time over 100  , but thinned the herd  alot to  open a saving and interest  bearing account for my grand baby ,  right now im rotating  between 

a marathon JSAR  and my  Sinn u1  .  that ORIS  is a great watch   , i had one but flipped it . another great watch  i own that is not really known  is divers made

by  http://aegirinstruments dot com   . i have CD 2  and love it . i sold my rolex collection and 2 pan's  i had  . on the farm i wear  my trusty  G SHOCK  . got a few of them as well

ohhh another watch i love is the new Aquadives   the bezel  is a tad to high for me  but they are great as well  i keep door knobbing the aqua dive   , sucker hangs out lol

stock pic of CD2

and aqua dive . i thought id be miffed at selling so many but that hobby has come and gone lol  . 

CD-21.jpg

th (5).jpg

Edited by ASH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ASH said:

i had alot at one time over 100  , but thinned the herd  alot to  open a saving and interest  bearing account for my grand baby ,  right now im rotating  between 

a marathon JSAR  and my  Sinn u1  .  that ORIS  is a great watch   , i had one but flipped it . another great watch  i own that is not really known  is divers made

by  http://aegirinstruments dot com   . i have CD 2  and love it . i sold my rolex collection and 2 pan's  i had  . on the farm i wear  my trusty  G SHOCK  . got a few of them as well

ohhh another watch i love is the new Aquadives   the bezel  is a tad to high for me  but they are great as well  i keep door knobbing the aqua dive   , sucker hangs out lol

stock pic of CD2

and aqua dive . i thought id be miffed at selling so many but that hobby has come and gone lol  . 

CD-21.jpg

th (5).jpg

That's some nice feedback! That CD-1 looks great, too bad they are sold out. Never heard of the micro brand.

I was about to order the Sinn U1 today but then found a bunch of rather negative reviews around quality and customer service issues. People also complained about the loose fitting bezel and the weak lume. Sinn tries to explain them away but I'm not buying their "by design explanations".

What is your take on Sinn and the U1?

my take is i bought one and i always buy sliightly used from members  at watchuseek dot come where im member . i cant go back there  wife said lol ,  

i bought one and flipped it , then bought another . the thing with the bezel  the first one was little looser then second one  but could be it was older.  im a 

stickler for a tight bezel  like my marathons .  but my U1  has some play and ive been told the same thing about the wobble of bezel  , its not terrible but 

its there , it bothers me a little but not enough to sell it  and i love the balance the looks  and just feels right on my wrist ,  now i had talked to a watch work guy 

in my area  about a piece he made to cancel the wobble so im looking into it . i love everything about it except the wobble   , its got a cult following from what ive seen  and i love the layout  of hands and no clutter dial .  cluttered dials  is big no no for me .  i would rate my U1   from 1 to 10   to be a high 8   .

the lume is not a torch like some BALL watches  and others but it is good to my eyes .  

• Thanks 1

i think if looking between Oris and Sinn  they are both close but different  if that makes sense .  

Oris makes some of the best divers bar none ,  i liked mine but for my wrist it was no go ,  

from what you said i would prolly go with Oris , they have excellent customer service ,  the SINN  customer service is lacking  in my book  .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

Not into watches but my favorite is a old Seiko S3 given to me as a wedding present my in laws (MIL/FIL).

Really like it for the memories. 

those are the best watches , memories  .  my dad left me a  Omega  seamaster  memomatic  alarm auto  back in the 70 ties ,  gave it to me before passing away in 95 ,  its one watch i will never get rid of 

59 minutes ago, ASH said:

my take is i bought one and i always buy sliightly used from members  at watchuseek dot come where im member . i cant go back there  wife said lol ,  

i bought one and flipped it , then bought another . the thing with the bezel  the first one was little looser then second one  but could be it was older.  im a 

stickler for a tight bezel  like my marathons .  but my U1  has some play and ive been told the same thing about the wobble of bezel  , its not terrible but 

its there , it bothers me a little but not enough to sell it  and i love the balance the looks  and just feels right on my wrist ,  now i had talked to a watch work guy 

in my area  about a piece he made to cancel the wobble so im looking into it . i love everything about it except the wobble   , its got a cult following from what ive seen  and i love the layout  of hands and no clutter dial .  cluttered dials  is big no no for me .  i would rate my U1   from 1 to 10   to be a high 8   .

the lume is not a torch like some BALL watches  and others but it is good to my eyes .  

Thank you very much for the feedback, and it makes perfectly sense based on what I have gathered.

I'm on WUS myself, but have only bought new or on eBay so far. Got a bunch of Casio's, most of them new / mint 80s and 90s watches, just for the memories.

I think your are reading me right. While I love the Lego dial on the U1, I am a pretty annoying perfectionist. That bezel wobble, a light scratch on the AR coating or unresponsive customer service can ruin the entire experience for me. Oris is indeed somewhat in the same boat, but different, and for sure the safer bet for me.

Looks like you gave me the final answer.

I had the Meistertaucher, but my aging eyes couldn't read the small hour hand anymore. And I'm not yet ready to carry my reading glasses everywhere or getting bifocals.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

Since my local ADs suck, I'll be making a trip to Miami tomorrow. Will also check out the IWC boutique, because the Aquatimer is still on my list. It is actually the watch that made me want one final every day diver.

acquatimer.jpg

• Thanks 1

I like this one very much.  The Tritium markers are very bright and available in different colors.  There are others that look like this but they have no depth rating on the dial.  This one is rated for 200 meters. $100.  Had it for a couple of years now.

My daughter bought the same watch after envying mine.  Her watch is Blue light.  Not quite as bright as the Green of mine.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Great thread! I remember an epic thread on the topic elsewhere. (F RussP, BTW).

My current everyday is the Rolex Submariner no date. 40mm stainless workhorse. I bought a 2-tone Sub from a dude at work who was going through a nasty divorce- Traded it on the ND Sub and got enough cash to pay off the wife's car.

Other fillies in the stable include a Marathon JSAR (47mm monster!), a Seiko 007, and a Tag Formula 1.

Up next, I'm gonna track down an Oris Hammerhead as a graduation present to myself. Been looking at the lower end IWC pilot watches, and may eventually trade up the Sub for a GMT-II BLNR. Watches, like guns, could prove to be a VERY expensive interest!

• Like 2