Browning High Power

fortyofforty

Do you love the Browning High Power?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Browning High Power?

• I love the Browning High Power
    • It's OK
    • I dislike the Browning High Power
    • I hate it
    • Meh. I don't care one way or the other.

22 hours ago, Old School said:

I got a FEG clone of the BHP thinking that would satisfy my need.  It did not.

Or you can buy an FEG clone, spend an equal amount for a drop in trigger set, spur hammer, premium extractor and new springs and it will shoot great. AND STILL NOT BE A BHP!

Don't ask me how I know.

• Like 2

I love and hate it.

I love the style of the gun, but hate the trigger. I opted for paying extra years ago for one with target sights. I had it built up in my mind about how awesome it would be, and it was a huge let down on the range. 1911's have spoiled me for what a trigger should be. 

Someday I will send it off to be worked over. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I dislike it. The only one I ever shot was a beautifully blued Belgian that had the most god awful, gritty, heavy, shitty pull on any SA auto I ever tried. I get that other people like them but that model is not for me. Especially not that they are out of production and prices will be going up.

I owned a WWII High Power with WaA markings that had an awful trigger and fairly poor accuracy. I also have a T-series and 1988 vintage High Power without the magazine safeties and they shoot and fit my hand well. I find the HP to naturally point for me and have good accuracy for a service pistol. The target was shoot indoors with less than great lighting at 25 meters, the first time I shot that gun.5b377f3a753ca_1911nHP.jpg.e8c7e273cd43c3c4bf49fbaf244f718a.jpg

HPright.jpg.82a1bc81a4cae43caf155a50dc28f140.jpg5b377e3d7b5b1_HPtarget2.thumb.JPG.38f9616b7f3927f7c76ed084d7227abc.JPG

FN HP 35.jpg

I used to own a Browning HP MKIII and was just checking out the new Tisas made clone called the Regent BR9 (which really is a very faithful and well made reproduction). I love the BHP and hate it at the same time. The gun is a true classic and and a great shooter, but the beavertail is way too short which means I get bit or pinched a few times every magazine. Which sucks. Spent a ton of money on both aftermarket and custom parts on that BHP to try and alleviate that issue. Nothing worked. Came down to having to have an extended beavertail welded on then the entire gun refinished. Decided just to sell it and buy a CZ75 instead. When I check out the Tisas it was clear that I was going to have the same issue with it, so I passed. Now I am looking for a Kareen MKII Isreali HP with the built in extended beavertail. The BHP is a fine gun if you have small hands or very little meat on your paws, but for big meaty handed XXL glove wearing guys like me it's a pass.

Here's a review of that Tisas. https://loadoutroom.com/46748/shots-fired-regent-br9-browning-high-power-clone/

Edited by mlk18

I love mine; it’s an early ‘90s model that was somebody’s safe queen. I like how it shoots and I’m looking for another to join the “collection”.

Edited by JohnV56
Misspelling

I have alot of interest in preparedness and the concept/processes of lawful self defense.  That said, I accept that a gun can certainly be a very important part of any self defense system but I do not have any sort of affinity for firearms.  They are simply a tool that I deem a necessary part of my tool belt which I carry daily.  I am not a collector, enthusiast or hobbyist but my gun of choice is a 1988 Browning Hi Power 9mm.  The only thing I have done to it is add navidrex grips.  I carry the Browning because it fits my hand very well and I consider myself more competent with it than I do other guns that I own.  Do I like it?.. I would not call it that.  I accept that I regard the Browning to be a good reliable tool that I can run well and I have a confidence that it can get the job done.  I would say the same for my Jim Dandy 16oz claw hammer.  I see emotions such as like, love, admiration or nostalgia toward weapons to be a handicap, that's just me.  I like my friends, I respect my colleagues, I love my family and I love listening to vinyl records but I have no such feelings towards guns. 

Edited by Paper Tiger

2 hours ago, Paper Tiger said:

... I accept that a gun can certainly be a very important part of any self defense system but I do not have any sort of affinity for firearms.  They are simply a tool that I deem a necessary part of my tool belt which I carry daily.  ... I see emotions such as like, love, admiration or nostalgia toward weapons to be a handicap, that's just me.  ... I have no such feelings towards guns. 

OK you're a "guns are tools" type of gun guy. It's surprising you would join a Gun Forum where others share their "affinity for firearms."

I would suspect if the day ever comes where your Hi Power is used to defend you or your family against a violent evil doer, your feelings toward that gun will dramatically change, that's just me.

OK you're a "guns are tools" type of gun guy. It's surprising you would join a Gun Forum where others share their "affinity for firearms."

as I said in my first sentence, I have an interest in the processes and concepts of lawful self defense.  My interest and the interest of those who focus on firearms do share alot of commonality.  A gun forum is a good place to discuss and debate the topics that I am interested in.  I contribute content mostly toward concepts, tactics, awareness and other methods of mitigating danger.  I am not sure why it would be surprising

I voted okay but I lean heavily towards love it. I had a mid to late 70s FN and it was a cool pistol back in the day. Bought it from my dad for $500 and sold it like a fool  to fuel my 1911 desires in the late 1980s. Wish I kept it. Anyway it was a great shooter and fairly reliable but it did choke on hollow points of that era but as far as I can recall, it functioned well with FMJ ammo. The late Stephen Camp's website is still up and running and is a valuable resource to anyone interested in the high power. 

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html   

On 6/30/2018 at 9:45 AM, mlk18 said:

I used to own a Browning HP MKIII and was just checking out the new Tisas made clone called the Regent BR9 (which really is a very faithful and well made reproduction). I love the BHP and hate it at the same time. The gun is a true classic and and a great shooter, but the beavertail is way too short which means I get bit or pinched a few times every magazine. Which sucks. Spent a ton of money on both aftermarket and custom parts on that BHP to try and alleviate that issue. Nothing worked. Came down to having to have an extended beavertail welded on then the entire gun refinished. Decided just to sell it and buy a CZ75 instead. When I check out the Tisas it was clear that I was going to have the same issue with it, so I passed. Now I am looking for a Kareen MKII Isreali HP with the built in extended beavertail. The BHP is a fine gun if you have small hands or very little meat on your paws, but for big meaty handed XXL glove wearing guys like me it's a pass.

Here's a review of that Tisas. https://loadoutroom.com/46748/shots-fired-regent-br9-browning-high-power-clone/

I just bought the Tisas SS.  I never held a BHP before and I'm not sure whats up with the beavertail.  It pinches me a lot and doesn't make sense why the beavertail is so small its so weird.  I'm tempted to dump the gun and buy a CZ with the money.  Not sure what to do.