Browning High Power

fortyofforty

Do you love the Browning High Power?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Browning High Power?

• I love the Browning High Power
    • It's OK
    • I dislike the Browning High Power
    • I hate it
    • Meh. I don't care one way or the other.

My favorite is the Charles Daly clone.  She's made by FEG.  But the final machining, fitting, assembly and finish work were done by Magnum Research or Dan Wesson.  XS sights in a Novak cut so an easy swap.  Nice extended safety.  Bet Hi Power I've ever owned.

hUeLnBa - Imgur.jpg

KIpjNl5 - Imgur.jpg

5HIIgLe - Imgur.jpg

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:31 AM, G26S239 said:

I dislike it. The only one I ever shot was a beautifully blued Belgian that had the most god awful, gritty, heavy, ****ty pull on any SA auto I ever tried. I get that other people like them but that model is not for me. Especially not that they are out of production and prices will be going up.

I bought an Israeli police surplus Hi-power and the trigger wasn't too bad but could have been better so I took it to my gunsmith and told him to remove the Magazine disconnect and do a trigger job on it. He said the Israeli's had already removed the mag disconnect which is why the trigger wasn't too bad to begin with. 

Removing the magazine disconnect helps a lot, but a good gunsmith can make the trigger on a Hi-power feel just as good as most 1911's. I've always wanted one of these guns and I consider them one of the most beautiful handguns ever designed with the best ergonomics of any handgun. Nothing has the feel and balance of an Hi-power except maybe the CZ75 which has basically the same grip shape that was influenced by the Hi-power. Glock would have done well to have copied the Hi-power grip because the Hi-power fits everyone's hands while there are many people who do not like the Glock grip and can't shoot them very well. 

I really enjoy shooting mine and it's pretty accurate but has a strong preference for 147 grain FMJ's and being an older gun, the barrel is made to shoot fmj's only, just like GI 1911's.

• Like 1

One thing I found real interesting about the HP is that in an early 1990s article in American Rifleman Charles Petty wrote about the use of +P+ in various brands of 9mm. He stated that only Glock and Browning, the company in Utah not FN, gave an unconditional yes to use of +P+. Stephen Camp writing a few year later recommended against +P+ and urged only limited use of +P. 

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, Boogieman said:

My favorite is the Charles Daly clone.  She's made by FEG.  But the final machining, fitting, assembly and finish work were done by Magnum Research or Dan Wesson.  XS sights in a Novak cut so an easy swap.  Nice extended safety.  Best Hi Power I've ever owned.

KIpjNl5 - Imgur.jpg

5HIIgLe - Imgur.jpg

I really like the extended thumb safety way better than any I've seen. And overall the gun is very nice, and I like the sights, too.  But the one thing I really don't like is the YUGE CHARLES DALY HP billboard lettering on the slide. I hate to knock the looks of someone's gun but personally I would prefer much  smaller engraving the same size as the lettering on the Belgian Brownings that would say something like, "Charles Daly Firearms, New York City, NY 10010" and it wouldn't need to say "HP" or "Hi-Power" because the gun is obviously a Hi-power.  Most likely if it were my gun I'd just have that lettering removed and the slide re-blued and it would be worth it to me to do that.

I know it wouldn't bother some people but it bugs the **** out of me. I don't know why manufacturers these days go in for the huge billboard lettering. That kind of thing looks OK on vacuum cleaners and other modern products but to me it's an eyesore on a firearm.

4 hours ago, Borg warner said:

But the one thing I really don't like is the YUGE CHARLES DALY HP billboard lettering on the slide. I hate to knock the looks of someone's gun but personally I would prefer much  smaller engraving the same size as the lettering on the Belgian Brownings that would say something like, "Charles Daly Firearms, New York City, NY 10010" and it wouldn't need to say "HP" or "Hi-Power" because the gun is obviously a Hi-power.  Most likely if it were my gun I'd just have that lettering removed and the slide re-blued and it would be worth it to me to do that.

The later production models had a much smaller logo.  But don't knock all Charles Daly's.  Up until the mid 70's they imported a lot of high end firearms.  From the early 1900's their bolt actions were made by J.P. Sauer and Son.  In the '60's they were also made by FN.  A FN or Sauer made Weatherby of the era can go for 10's of thousands of dollars.  The CD version which is identical in every way other than caliber, with the same beautiful slow rust bluing and fancy wood sells for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less.  Their shotguns were made by Beretta and Benelli.  I have a cased high end engraved CD over and under with three barrels from the '50s.  If it said Beretta on the side it would go for $50K.  I paid around a grand.  Even 10 years ago they imported a beautiful Mauser made by Zastava.  I wish I had picked one up back then.

On 6/30/2018 at 4:31 AM, G26S239 said:

I dislike it. The only one I ever shot was a beautifully blued Belgian that had the most god awful, gritty, heavy, ****ty pull on any SA auto I ever tried. I get that other people like them but that model is not for me. Especially not that they are out of production and prices will be going up.

The FN 35 with the magazine safety has indeed a terrible trigger, with the safety removed it is already a noticeable difference but still not the greatest trigger. I had shot my 1988 Belgian High Power last Sunday together with my P210-6 and an improved Glock 23/9 and the High Power had the hardest to see sights and worst trigger.

• Like 1

Love mine.  No other gun I own balances so perfectly and feels just right.

I'm not a fan of the stock sights and safety, but it's something I could change if I really felt the need.  

Mine doesn't get shot too much though.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The frame just doesn't fit my hand, and 200 rounds later hurts. Now a CZ 75 Pre-B, basically the same in all gross measurements, feels so much better for some reason.  Won't sell it though, no collection is complete without one.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:21 AM, Andyd said:

The FN 35 with the magazine safety has indeed a terrible trigger, with the safety removed it is already a noticeable difference but still not the greatest trigger. I had shot my 1988 Belgian High Power last Sunday together with my P210-6 and an improved Glock 23/9 and the High Power had the hardest to see sights and worst trigger.

That's why it's good to know a good gunsmith. I know a gunsmith who can make any trigger better.  I had him put an EA Brown trigger kit in my Ruger Charger and he didn't just install the kit, he did some tweaking on it and it's a good as any Timney or Canjar ot Volquartson trigger.  I also have a Savage 110 that did not have the Accu-trigger and now it's like a high dollar aftermarket trigger. And I love letting people shoot my Hi-power with the trigger job because it just blows people away especially anyone who has shot a Hi-power before.

The only other drawbacks to the Hi-power are the sights and the safety and those things are easily fixed. The one thing that bothers some people is the lack of a beavertail which won't allow you to choke up on the grip and get as high of a grips as possible to mitigate recoil and muzzle flip. But in an all-steel full-sized gun the size of the Hi-power there really isn't any recoil or muzzle flip to be concerned with.

15 hours ago, Borg warner said:

That's why it's good to know a good gunsmith. I know a gunsmith who can make any trigger better.  I had him put an EA Brown trigger kit in my Ruger Charger and he didn't just install the kit, he did some tweaking on it and it's a good as any Timney or Canjar ot Volquartson trigger.  I also have a Savage 110 that did not have the Accu-trigger and now it's like a high dollar aftermarket trigger. And I love letting people shoot my Hi-power with the trigger job because it just blows people away especially anyone who has shot a Hi-power before.

The only other drawbacks to the Hi-power are the sights and the safety and those things are easily fixed. The one thing that bothers some people is the lack of a beavertail which won't allow you to choke up on the grip and get as high of a grips as possible to mitigate recoil and muzzle flip. But in an all-steel full-sized gun the size of the Hi-power there really isn't any recoil or muzzle flip to be concerned with.

No matter what will be done to a High Power trigger, it will not be anywhere close to a P210-6. I can accept the High Power for what it is, a military classic that was an advanced design in its time and an outstanding combat handgun. Nowadays there are pistols that are better suited for combat and competitive shooting than the P210 and FN 35.

4 hours ago, Andyd said:

No matter what will be done to a High Power trigger, it will not be anywhere close to a P210-6. I can accept the High Power for what it is, a military classic that was an advanced design in its time and an outstanding combat handgun. Nowadays there are pistols that are better suited for combat and competitive shooting than the P210 and FN 35.

Are you saying that anything that doesn't have a trigger as good as a Sig P210-6 is not a suitable for combat or competition? I think my 1911's and my Glocks are suitable combat handguns and the Hi-power trigger can be made better than a Glock and almost as good as a 1911 and both the 1911 and the Glock have done pretty well in competition as well as combat.

On 4/6/2018 at 1:34 AM, minervadoe said:

My Hi Power GP Competition was my first center fire auto loader.  I put a lot of rounds through that thing.  I used it as a backup pistol when I shot 9mm in PPC. 

Could have been my first, but wanted a DA/SA.

Went with a Springfield P9. CZ clone.

Edited by *OldSchool*

1 minute ago, Borg warner said:

Are you saying that anything that doesn't have a trigger as good as a Sig P210-6 is not a suitable for combat or competition? I think my 1911's and my Glocks are suitable combat handguns and the Hi-power trigger can be made better than a Glock and almost as good as a 1911 and both the 1911 and the Glock have done pretty well in competition as well as combat.

No, that isn't at all what I said. Reread my post.

21 hours ago, Fatboy01 said:

From the first time I saw one (movie) it has always been the coolest.  

Frank Serpico liked it.  ?

Serpico H-P.jpg

I miss when gun shops looked like this and had a smell about them.

Last one I went looked like the Wet Seal of the gun world with botique Ars in special coatings and pistols of stupid high quality.  I'm surprised I wasn't ask to leave as I'm not cool enough, young or hip.

The industry has changed.

25 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

My first DA/SA was a S&W 6906.  For its day, it was fairly compact and held 13 rounds.  I always figured that 13 would be unlucky for somebody else (not me).

QuickDrawMcGraw-TitleCel.jpg?format=500w

Lucky 13 :wink2:

Cool, but with slide-mounted safety/decocker, it included unnecessary mechanical complications.

I won't debate that it's a fine firearm, just saying that it's no wonder why I choose a Glock for EDC.

Edited by *OldSchool*