Chef Boy-Ar-Dee

Eric

• Administrators

This isn't a video I would normally have watched, but I'm glad I did. I enjoyed the bit of history on a brand I grew up eating and I am going to try that spaghetti recipe.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Carrots?

A lot of Bolognese sauce recipes use carrots. I've made a couple of them and enjoyed them. The natural sweetness of the carrots helps counter-balance the acidity of the tomatoes. 

• Like 4

Yup...first time I saw carrots in spaghetti sauce was at at small trattoria around the corner from the San Marco hotel in Luca.  I stayed there for about months during my first job in Italy. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Eric said:

A lot of Bolognese sauce recipes use carrots. I've made a couple of them and enjoyed them. The natural sweetness of the carrots helps counter-balance the acidity of the tomatoes. 

Might be worth a try.

• Like 3

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Might be worth a try.

It's good stuff. I'm not a fan of tomato-based sauces with sugar added. The sweetness that the carrots add is much more subtle. Actually, it usually not just carrots. It's typically onions, celery and carrots. This combination is called soffritto in Italy and mirepoix in France. It is often also referred to as the holy trinity and is a very common starting point of a lot of recipes, from many different countries.

• Like 4

• Administrators

My mother used to buy these Chef Boy-Ar-Dee pizza kits and then buy pepperoni and mozzarella cheese to top it. To this day, that is one of my favorite styles of pizza crust.

traditional-pizza-maker-76905.webp

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Eric said:

My mother used to buy these Chef Boy-Ar-Dee pizza kits and then buy pepperoni and mozzarella cheese to top it. To this day, that is one of my favorite styles of pizza crust.

Someone made one like that that also came with little cans of olives and mushrooms. All you could taste was the metallic taste from the canned mushrooms. But those kits were fun. No matter how bad our crusts looked. They were never round and always had hole in them. We made them on nights that some big movie was on TV. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Mirepoix Brunoise!

Two words a cook doesn’t want to hear from Chef. If the next two words out of his mouths are One Gallon! You know you screwed up somewhere. 

I use a julienne slicer box on the carrots and the celery and then chop the slivers. It makes quick work of them and they come out very uniform.

• Like 2

• Administrators
Just now, Batesmotel said:

Someone made one like that that also came with little cans of olives and mushrooms. All you could taste was the metallic taste from the canned mushrooms. But those kits were fun. No matter how bad our crusts looked. They were never round and always had hole in them. We made them on nights that some big movie was on TV. 

We never even tried to make them round. If I remember correctly, two boxes was just the right amount of dough & sauce for a large cookie sheet pan. I still make one of these once in a great while. The dough and sauce still taste just how I remember them.

• Like 2

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I like a HUGE amount of mushrooms on my pizza. When I make them I use the Green Giant slice mushrooms, but I have to drain them and then press them between towels to get as much moisture out as possible, or the pizza comes out of the oven a soggy mess.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I went to the website of the guy who posted the video. Pretty cool. My wife ordered me his book.

thanks!

The guy has a bunch of videos on You Tube. I'll include a link to the video list page of his YT profile below. I love the idea of learning about old, sometimes really old foods and being able to recreate them.

https://www.youtube.com/@TastingHistory/videos

• Like 1

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I went to the website of the guy who posted the video. Pretty cool. My wife ordered me his book.

thanks!

I just ordered the cookbook as well. It should be interesting.

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

I just ordered the cookbook as well. It should be interesting.

Looks like a good read. Not just recipes. There is a lot of good reading in good cookbooks. I have one Chinese cookbook that has so many family stories that I think I know her grandmother. 

IMG_5245.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Looks like a good read. Not just recipes. There is a lot of good reading in good cookbooks. I have one Chinese cookbook that has so many family stories that I think I know her grandmother. 

IMG_5245.jpeg

Very nice! Just on quick inspection, I see a bunch of titles that would interest me, starting with the book on Hatch chiles, on the top-left shelf.

1 hour ago, Eric said:

I  remember making those back in the late 1960's

• Like 3

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, Eric said:

Like the guy mentioned in the video in the OP, the original pizza kit had a tin of parmesan cheese and a can of sauce and that is how it was intended to be made, with just the sauce and parmesan cheese sprinkled on the dough. I wonder if there was ever anyone who was content to eat it that way, without some embellishment? 

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Batesmotel said:

On Amazon 

IMG_5246.jpeg

I miss living in the Southwest, where you could often get freshly roasted Hatch chiles from vendors in supermarket parking lots.

7 minutes ago, Eric said:

I miss living in the Southwest, where you could often get freshly roasted Hatch chiles from vendors in supermarket parking lots.

We are lucky. We have a small local grocery store chain (Harmons) that brings them once a year. They do a big roasting event for a week. That’s where I got the book. 

• Like 1