Plastic Surgery

Eric

• Administrators

I bought an intubation trainer manikin at an auction last week. These normally sell for a lot of money, but this one had some major facial damage. The nose and mouth were badly split. This is normal for these things, as the nose gets pinched a lot and the mouth gets stretched during the intubation process. The teeth and airway were in good shape for this one, which is unusual. Unfortunately, you can't purchase just the replacement headskin on this unit. You can only buy the entire head and 'lungs', which costs quite a bit more than the unit is worth. So, I performed surgery.

Someone had tried to superglue the tears before, which failed. The skin is silicone and the only thing that will stick to silicone is silicone. So I bought some superglue specially formulated for silicone material and some two-part silicone liquid, usually used for mould creation. After I glued the tears closed, I painted the back of the damaged area with the silicone liquid and reenforced it with small cheesecloth patches. I painted the front of the tears with the silicone as well. If I took the time to sand the repairs and airbrush them with some silicone based flesh tone paint, the repairs would be undetectable. It isn't worth the effort for this though. The buyer won't care about the scars. This trainer will probably end up in a developing country somewhere. That's where most of the stuff like this I sell goes.

So, Mr Manikin is once again operational and he has some dueling scars to impress the ladies.

IMG_5583.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

• Like 6

• Administrators

It wasn't as easy as it might seem to glue that face back together. That silicone skin is floppy, stretchy and generally apt to flop, twist & bulge out wherever it likes. I had to glue about 3/16" at a time and practice how best to restrain the next glue point before glueing. It was a PITA. I managed to avoid glueing my fingertips to anything though, so that was a plus. Superglue doesn't like me.

• Like 7

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

The skinless face is creepy.  Good job on the fix!

The skull reminds me of APL.DE.AP, one of the members of the band Black-Eyed Peas. If you watch the video below, you'll understand why.

d2olhj7-e4005348-d224-48be-844f-153c761f0c09.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Superglue doesn't like me.

Superglue is the reason that acetone (fingernail polish remover) has a spot, right in front, on my handyman chemical shelf.

You know, when I first opened this thread, I was reminded of a couple of over the top scenes from Loudermilk.

Imagine my relief. 

• Like 1