The real Dino die off... is us

TBO

It's a non sequitur. Once you reach 40 / 50 years old, you could never ever outrun even the biggest carnivore. Like with a soon-to-be hibernating bear, we all got slurped up like so many acorns spread across the ground.

We died young, and we reproduced younger. Once you are done reproducing, nature really has no reason to keep you around.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

It's a non sequitur. Once you reach 40 / 50 years old, you could never ever outrun even the biggest carnivore. Like with a soon-to-be hibernating bear, we all got slurped up like so many acorns spread across the ground.

We died young, and we reproduced younger. Once you are done reproducing, nature really has no reason to keep you around.

Nature no... Politics, yes. 

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

There is a definite survival advantage to using oldsters as babysitters to free up hunter-gatherers for shopping. Look how the lack thereof has hurt our society. :(

Folks mention how all successful societies revere their old folks, but I think it's the other way around - societies which don't revere the oldsters aren't successful. But I could be proved wrong... :)

• Like 3

I remember The Waltons, a popular TV series. Industry must have hated it. Three generations living happily in a single house. Consider all the McMansions not built, the stoves and refrigerators and washers and dryers and probably even motor vehicles not manufactured and sold if the nation returned to multi-generation households. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

There is a definite survival advantage to using oldsters as babysitters to free up hunter-gatherers for shopping. Look how the lack thereof has hurt our society. :(

Folks mention how all successful societies revere their old folks, but I think it's the other way around - societies which don't revere the oldsters aren't successful. But I could be proved wrong... :)

this.  I think you are right.  China and Japan are headed in the wrong direction with this, and we are already there.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2023 at 8:38 PM, TBO said:

Dinosaurs Might Be The Reason We're Not Living to 200 Years Old

https://www.sciencealert.com/dinosaurs-might-be-the-reason-were-not-living-to-200-years-old

When was the last dinosaur here?  Shouldn't we have made a recovery?   Maybe we don't live as long because of the sin in our cultures?

Regardless, you can never really live until you are ok with dying.  Make the most of what you have now.  I am blessed to be a blessing.

• Like 2