I Done Went and Got Me a Hankerin

LostinTexas

I Done Went and Got Me a Hankerin  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Should I go with a G45?

• Do It.
    • Don't do it. Stick with what you know.
    • Go with a G19 ya big dummy.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/17/2023 at 05:01 AM

I have been exploring a G45. I hate 9MM but with age and all the other things going on, it may be frugal. I really do like my Ruger and it has slimmer profile, but have carried a Glock since 96 and the design is pretty indestructible.

The G45 packs out a good bit of firepower, especially if you add the +2. The Ruger also has 17 round mags, but the +2 isn't an option, however, I already have the Ruger.

Am I nutz?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Spats McGee said:

What kind of Ruger?  Did I miss that?

Security 9.

Love it, love it, just not as durable a carry piece in my mind. With the Texas heat and sweating like a hostage, it can really do in a finish, and Glock seems to go happily along with being sweat on daily.

The Ruger is a LOT more accurate. I can shoot a 3 inch grouping with the Glock at 5, 7 yards, where ever the steel safety "line" is on our range., and would like it to be better. The barrel didn't seem to shoot in as much as I would like. The Ruger, I can shoot the 1" X 2" UPC code box on that same target. The trigger, at the very least, is going to allow more accuracy, by it's nature.

No you didn't miss it and I had a bit of crow sense I ended up with the G19. I am able to configure it as a G19, a G19 with a +2, a G45 using the X Grip and a G17 mag, and can +3 the 17 magazine to have 20 in the mag. If carrying 9MM I want all I can get.

I went 19 for the diversity of options. It came in Gen 3, the holy grail of Glock gens as far as I'm concerned. I'll admit to liking the Gen 5 and thought about the 19 in Gen 5, but after sleeping on it a few days, went with what I know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LostinTexas said:

Security 9.

Love it, love it, just not as durable a carry piece in my mind. With the Texas heat and sweating like a hostage, it can really do in a finish, and Glock seems to go happily along with being sweat on daily.

The Ruger is a LOT more accurate. I can shoot a 3 inch grouping with the Glock at 5, 7 yards, where ever the steel safety "line" is on our range., and would like it to be better. The barrel didn't seem to shoot in as much as I would like. The Ruger, I can shoot the 1" X 2" UPC code box on that same target. The trigger, at the very least, is going to allow more accuracy, by it's nature.

No you didn't miss it and I had a bit of crow sense I ended up with the G19. I am able to configure it as a G19, a G19 with a +2, a G45 using the X Grip and a G17 mag, and can +3 the 17 magazine to have 20 in the mag. If carrying 9MM I want all I can get.

I went 19 for the diversity of options. It came in Gen 3, the holy grail of Glock gens as far as I'm concerned. I'll admit to liking the Gen 5 and thought about the 19 in Gen 5, but after sleeping on it a few days, went with what I know.

Get "A Gun". Be happy!

53 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Get "A Gun". Be happy!

There is a lot more to it. I had "a gun" and have had it since 95(ish). My hands are revolting thanks to damage from a wreck some years ago and the 40 has become a handful.

I saw the writing, so to speak and had to decide on an alternative. Unfortunately the alternative is 9MM, a round I have absolutely NO confidence in. But,,,,,,,, here we are. It is the softest shooter of the service calibers, that I can find. I remember the 1911 being a soft shooter, but after trying one, found it wasn't the solution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

There is a lot more to it. I had "a gun" and have had it since 95(ish). My hands are revolting thanks to damage from a wreck some years ago and the 40 has become a handful.

I saw the writing, so to speak and had to decide on an alternative. Unfortunately the alternative is 9MM, a round I have absolutely NO confidence in. But,,,,,,,, here we are. It is the softest shooter of the service calibers, that I can find. I remember the 1911 being a soft shooter, but after trying one, found it wasn't the solution.

And, now you have a gun and are happy.  That was the only comment I was making.   :dancinsmiley:

6 minutes ago, janice6 said:

And, now you have a gun and are happy.  That was the only comment I was making.   :dancinsmiley:

I C. Not sure "Happy" is the choice emotion. I like the pistol and the ways I can Potato Head it, just not the caliber. Anyone who ever paid attention to me knows how I feel about 9MM.

It is better than a dull stick, just hope it is enough better if ever needed, and hope I never need it.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Security 9.

I sweated my way through 3 Kel-Tec P3AT pistols. When I carry one, it is often using the belt clip, carrying it inside the waistband of shorts or sweats. Ten or twelve years ago, I bought their hard chrome version. More than a decade later, the finish is still perfect. I don't know how you feel about Kel-Tecs, but they have a hard chrome version of their P11.

Kel-Tec-P11-HC-2.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Eric, but I have not sweat through a Glock in 28? years. The 19 is the same everything but caliber to what I was carrying. Just traded a 23/3 for a 19/3.

KelTec is either really good or really not. It depends on what you get. I have had a lot of good luck out of the Taurus line, and people hate them too. Fact is there is one sitting next to my chair right now. It has been ridden hard and put up wet on range outings, so it gets the cushy spot.

• Like 1

Just now, LostinTexas said:

I C. Not sure "Happy" is the choice emotion. I like the pistol and the ways I can Potato Head it, just not the caliber. Anyone who ever paid attention to me knows how I feel about 9MM.

It is better than a dull stick, just hope it is enough better if ever needed, and hope I never need it.

I realize what you are getting at, I have carried ,45, .357, FN 5.7, and again, a .45 in G41.

I tried to find a caliber I loved to shoot and it was the .357, however my carry could only be 6 rounds in either snub nose or 6".  What I found was that situations in real life today required more rounds due to rats being in numbers, so I settled on my G41 with extended magazines.  I also compromised, although I do like the round.  I'm 84 now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I realize what you are getting at, I have carried ,45, .357, FN 5.7, and again, a .45 in G41.

I tried to find a caliber I loved to shoot and it was the .357, however my carry could only be 6 rounds in either snub nose or 6".  What I found was that situations in real life today required more rounds due to rats being in numbers, so I settled on my G41 with extended magazines.  I also compromised, although I do like the round.  I'm 84 now.

I would have felt a lot better going back to .45, but it just didn't seem to tickle the fancy. It felt to be about the same handful as the 40, so nothing really gained in the switch. The recoil is a bit different, and of the two, I would probably enjoy the 45 again. 

The G41 is a lot to conceal though for every day, day in day out. Some feel good about it and with some practice, it is certainly doable.

• Like 1

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Thanks Eric, but I have not sweat through a Glock in 28? years. The 19 is the same everything but caliber to what I was carrying. Just traded a 23/3 for a 19/3.

KelTec is either really good or really not. It depends on what you get. I have had a lot of good luck out of the Taurus line, and people hate them too. Fact is there is one sitting next to my chair right now. It has been ridden hard and put up wet on range outings, so it gets the cushy spot.

I'm a big fan of the G19, with the Glock 41 coming in a very close second.

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 21-30-06 GLOCK 41 Gen4.png

• Like 3

On 10/12/2023 at 10:30 PM, Eric said:

I'm a big fan of the G19, with the Glock 41 coming in a very close second.

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 21-30-06 GLOCK 41 Gen4.png

I’m with you. Old school 19 fan and have long been a fan of the 21, but I’m loving my 41 more and more lately. Always on my belt when I’m in the woods. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...