Rocky Mountain High Winds

Eric

I was working in Montana (WY?) and the winds were a constant 60mph all day. (working 200' up). It was extremely physically exhausting for me to be out there all day. I think it's kind of normal for them.

First, your eyes get constantly sandblasted all day. You need goggles. Our equipment was under big hinged metal covers. With the cover locked up, you couldn't even approach it (let alone get your head in there) because it was buffeting violently. It finally broke off and whipped across, into the railing. We tied it down. They said they'd fix it later.

I went to walmart. I first parked with the driver's door upwind. Couldn't open the door to even get a foot out. Had to turn the car.

When I came out, there was a deep scratch, low across the door. ?How could someone put that heavy scratch in it, down there, without denting the door??? Scratchscratch. Only then did I notice the rearview mirror smash-busted-off and hanging by the wires. ????.

Then I saw the first 60mph shopping cart shoot passed. It hit a far away curb and made a spectacular nascar flying-spin-flipping crash. Then others would rocket passed. I split pdq.

I think it's kind of "normal" for them.
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Any home is a mobile home when it is standing in the path of a tornado.

Helps to have a basement.  We had lost thousands of homes here in the 60's.  Most survived in basements.  Granted, some basements were also demolished.  

• Like 2

Mountains are no joke and the weather can be real scary.

High winds are nothing. Twisters are a little less common, but they are far more frequent that many realize. Mostly you get wind shears, micro bursts, that will whip down a face snapping trees for a hundred yards and then dissipate. Or blow up a steep face, knock you right off a ledge, dislodge rocks above you.

I lived through a 17 hour thunder storm. The next morning dawned clear and you could smell and taste the ozone in the air. My neighbor was a weather geek with some pretty sophisticated equipment and he said there were over 30,000 total strikes between four back to back storms. All I know is I didn't sleep, it was one huge crash after another and the light from the lightening never really faded. Several hits were within 100 yards of the house. Big black patches and trees blown to confetti. Inside stuff was being knocked off shelves from the concussions.

There are electrical storms that don't have lightening. I usually don't tell people what I've seen because they dismiss it and think I'm crazy. I've seen balls of electrical energy that would roll around and then vanish. I think they followed minerals in the soil, but don't know that for sure. Seen the ground inside a mine glow from the electrical energy hitting the mountain. Old timers tell stories that make even me think they are crazy.

"Lift up your eyes to the hills"

• Like 3