My huge Rainbow through the ice

28 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

How come japanese restaurants never have Trout Sushi?

(or Bass?)

Because Japanese restaurants never serve any freshwater fish. Sushi (or Sashimi) is only Ocean fish. My favorite is Yellowtail which is sometimes referred to as Yellowtail tuna but is not a type of Tuna but is a fish called Japanese Amberjack which is caught off the shores of Japan, Australia, California and Hawaii. It has a high fat content which gives it it's distinctive flavor. Traditionally in Japan, it was only eaten in the winter when the fish had the highest fat content. A particular delicacy is Yellowtail Collar which is just the meat around the gills.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Nice fish.

One of these days I hope to fish for trout, never done it.  Strictly bass.

3FBDE4DE-68FA-43D5-B5D7-CD432E0C6065.jpeg

I've fished for Pike, Pickerel. Perch, some bass, catfish, Pacific barracuda, Alaskan Rockfish, but mostly Rainbow and Brown trout in California, Colorado and Washington State, but I've never done any fly fishing. And none of the fish I ever caught were record-size fish., just good eating size or else I'd throw them back. Sometimes when lake fishing with my brother, we would talk about catching "Old Moe" the biggest most legendary fish in the history of the lake.

• Like 4

Dad was a (only) trout fisherman.  Cricks only.  Never lakes.

All our friends, when I was a kid, went to skiing in Colorado,  and France,  and scuba in Bermuda.

We got camping in a ****-mud Pennsylvania.

Because Dad loved trout.  And knew where they were.  Cold spring-fed, 4' wide.  With the little-waterfall bubbles coming off.  1' deep.

Welcome to my life.

We had trout for breakfast.

• Like 2

Once,  I am too old to remember (I was very little,, but this part, I remember,  Dad was fishing...

We camped in all the west and upper mid-west.  Everywhere.  Probably f'n trout.

And Dad fished this crystal-clear hole,  and a honkin' fish was there,  and Dad was Dad.

• Like 2

Then Dad said, "If I was a bear,  I WOULD DO THIS!!!"

And he jumped into the crystal-clear water,  full deep,  and came up with a huge honkin' trout in his arms.

I didn't know what Rangers were.  Or why they were there. Or their deal.  I was, like, six.

But, for some reason,  they were right there.

• Like 1

He never did 'Fly".

Even though we bought him all the ****, forever, for birthdays and Christmas.

He just wanted Zebco, 50 miles from nowhere,  in ButtMudd Pa,  in some crick, at 2am, , 4' wide, 2' deep.  Where the brownies are.  For breakfast.

He had gin on him.

• Like 1

The husband has taken up making fly rods for his latest hobby/stress relief, when he can't actually go fishing.  I caught an itty bitty trout with the one he made me earlier this year.  That was the third fish I've ever caught in my life.  This might be because when the fish steal my flies, I pretend I don't notice, and I keep standing in the stream casting for fun, because I like standing in the cold water when it's 90F in the shade, and it's too hot for my brain to remember how to put a new fly on the line.  I'm taking a flytying class ever Wednesday for the next 4 weeks.  Because I like feathers, and beads.  And macrame.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, railfancwb said:

If you don’t put hooks or bait or lures on the end of the line, but do put a good sinker, you can stand/sit there all day fishing and never have one to throw back or clean. 

Sounds like today. 6 hours in the shanty and no bites. The place I fish doesn't have many Rainbows, but the ones that are there get large due to the bazillions of Stickleback Minnows.