My huge Rainbow through the ice

Beautiful fish.  Rainbows are my favorite trout by far.  I even like them when they lose all their color and run up rivers.

Many years ago we were fishing a remote lake deep in the Canadian wilds.   We had to put our canoes on our shoulders and walk miles to get to the lake.

So out we went in the evening casting our little Cleos and Dardevles hoping for some pike.  My brother hooks one and all of a sudden a gorgeous 5 lb rainbow just jumped right in the canoe.

Never seen that before in all my years fishing.

Next day, it happens again.  Best we can figure is the fish had never experienced a human or a boat and were freaking out once one of them got hooked.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peng said:

Beautiful fish.  Rainbows are my favorite trout by far.  I even like them when they lose all their color and run up rivers.

Many years ago we were fishing a remote lake deep in the Canadian wilds.   We had to put our canoes on our shoulders and walk miles to get to the lake.

So out we went in the evening casting our little Cleos and Dardevles hoping for some pike.  My brother hooks one and all of a sudden a gorgeous 5 lb rainbow just jumped right in the canoe.

Never seen that before in all my years fishing.

Next day, it happens again.  Best we can figure is the fish had never experienced a human or a boat and were freaking out once one of them got hooked.

A couple years ago a big Rainbow hits my line. Tiny ice fishing pole. I set the hook. Pole breaks and then the line does too. My other line in a hole a few feet away starts going crazy. Grab the pole, set the hook. After a nice struggle I pull in a 25 inch Rainbow, about 5 pounds. It has the hook with about 8 feet of line from the first rod trailing from it's mouth.

• Like 3