Now I get to do the cursing. Fubar'd my lawn tractor.

Decided to 'mow' the brush growing up on my granddaughters property with my Sears 42" mower. Yeah, I abuse it. Right away found a cable that got wrapped around the blades. An hour later after lots of cutting and removing and reinstalling one blade, I was back mowing. Almost done I hit a piece of steel pipe. Ruined a tower. Oh joy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

12 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Decided to 'mow' the brush growing up on my granddaughters property with my Sears 42" mower. Yeah, I abuse it. Right away found a cable that got wrapped around the blades. An hour later after lots of cutting and removing and reinstalling one blade, I was back mowing. Almost done I hit a piece of steel pipe. Ruined a tower. Oh joy.

Once you get the deck off it's not too hard to replace one.  Of course when I replaced mine the new one didn't have any of the attaching bolt holes tapped! Typical jackasses. Good thing I worked on cars 40 years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, miketx said:

Once you get the deck off it's not too hard to replace one.  Of course when I replaced mine the new one didn't have any of the attaching bolt holes tapped! Typical jackasses. Good thing I worked on cars 40 years.

a lot of them use "self tapping screws" that half the time take more force to install than the bolt is good for and they shear off.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

a lot of them use "self tapping screws" that half the time take more force to install than the bolt is good for and they shear off.

Thanks but this one didn't, it had to have threads cut into it. 

I too have an old Sears 42" mower that has done more than its fair share of "mowing". I figured out it needed a blade spindle when the usual noise got really loud and sparks started flying from the deck. The lower bearing decided to leave. It may have had something that do with the occasional dog toy it would send flying in ways Nerf and Chuck-It never intended.

• Like 1