Well, it's been a day.

LostinTexas

I am about a month+ behind for my spring chores. I need to fill containers, construct a raised bed, assembly 3 arches, buy and plant a couple of decorative trees and an Agave, service the mower, plant the garden, and who knows what.

Well, after the water leaking from the slab, the retrofit, the remodel bids and subsequent near meltdown, (seriously, if this cat didn't come with beaming recommendations from half a dozen acquaintances that are morbidly anal bout their homes, I would have written him off long ago. Never met his crew, so they may impress. I'll give him a chance), I decided to take it upon myself to pull the left side of my back. Babied it for about ten days, and felt better, so put a raised bed together. Simple, no strain, I thought, and had a nice work area, so not much bending. WRONG.

Had a regular checkup at the doctor today and mentioned it to him. He walked around and said, "Wow, that looks like it hurts". Just looking at me through my shirt. OK he told me to do what I have been, and gave me something for inflammation, just in case, and we finished our visit.

So it will be two months behind, minimum, and that is hoping things settle down pretty fast. Of course LostWife and the doc ganged up. Here's for a great April.

Rant over. Have fun. Happy Spring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Tell me about it.  After the Lung op a couple months ago, I was feelin GREAT, and basically back to normal!  Lasted a whole week.  Then the first of March, was walkin across the main room in my Aunts assisted living place and my right hip just gave out.  I swear to god, it was like somebody stuck an ice pick 3 inches into my hip bone.  If the piano hadn't been there for me to grab, I would have gone down.  Fast forward 3 weeks to today, and if it wasn't for 1200 mg Ibuprophen, 2-3 times a day and a walker, I literally couldn't move.  I just cant Imagine what the hell could have caused something like this with this much pain in just 3 friggin weeks.  Got an MRI tomorrow, of course it's Friday, so won't know crap till next week.  I'm thinkin Hip replacement, but like I said...that bad, that fast, in just 3 weeks???  I did loose 20 lbs from the lung op, down to 200 from 220.  Figured I lost a lot of muscle in my thigh and maby pulled a ligament or somethin.  Hell, who knows....X-ray showed no cracked bones...Nothin.  Oh well....the beat goes on...

anyway...gettin old is fun as ****!!!:anim_lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Yes, getting old isn't for the faint of heart. I'm a pup compared to some around here.

I know why I'm falling apart, and glad to hear you are on the back side of the lung operation. I couldn't remember when you mentioned it happening.

Hopefully the hip will be a big scare and won't need radical intervention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LostinTexas said:

I am about a month+ behind for my spring chores. I need to fill containers, construct a raised bed, assembly 3 arches, buy and plant a couple of decorative trees and an Agave, service the mower, plant the garden, and who knows what.

Well, after the water leaking from the slab, the retrofit, the remodel bids and subsequent near meltdown, (seriously, if this cat didn't come with beaming recommendations from half a dozen acquaintances that are morbidly anal bout their homes, I would have written him off long ago. Never met his crew, so they may impress. I'll give him a chance), I decided to take it upon myself to pull the left side of my back. Babied it for about ten days, and felt better, so put a raised bed together. Simple, no strain, I thought, and had a nice work area, so not much bending. WRONG.

Had a regular checkup at the doctor today and mentioned it to him. He walked around and said, "Wow, that looks like it hurts". Just looking at me through my shirt. OK he told me to do what I have been, and gave me something for inflammation, just in case, and we finished our visit.

So it will be two months behind, minimum, and that is hoping things settle down pretty fast. Of course LostWife and the doc ganged up. Here's for a great April.

Rant over. Have fun. Happy Spring.

Hope Springs Eternal.   I hurt  my back in a car accident many years ago, (many!) A Cadillac hit me from behind while I was at a red light.  The Highway Patrol estimated he was doing more than 100 MPH when he hit me.  Knocked my Plymouth four door 36 feet through the air.  The mechanics tool box on the back seat hit me through the back of the front seat.  The radio knobs were in the seat next to me.  The battery sheared off the rocker arm assy on the left side.  Shortened my frame by 14 inches, hit me square.

My point for all the preceding is to establish the complaint of a "back injury".  It took 30/40 years but now I can do almost anything.  Pain meds helped but mostly I kept using it gently till it gradually got better.  I can climb ham radio towers now.

All this is to give you hope that eventually it may get better.  JUST DON'T OVERDUE IT!  There is hope.

21 minutes ago, MO Fugga said:

Bourbon. 

Wonderful and innovative solution!  it works for me!

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

Tell me about it.  After the Lung op a couple months ago, I was feelin GREAT, and basically back to normal!  Lasted a whole week.  Then the first of March, was walkin across the main room in my Aunts assisted living place and my right hip just gave out.  I swear to god, it was like somebody stuck an ice pick 3 inches into my hip bone.  If the piano hadn't been there for me to grab, I would have gone down.  Fast forward 3 weeks to today, and if it wasn't for 1200 mg Ibuprophen, 2-3 times a day and a walker, I literally couldn't move.  I just cant Imagine what the hell could have caused something like this with this much pain in just 3 friggin weeks.  Got an MRI tomorrow, of course it's Friday, so won't know crap till next week.  I'm thinkin Hip replacement, but like I said...that bad, that fast, in just 3 weeks???  I did loose 20 lbs from the lung op, down to 200 from 220.  Figured I lost a lot of muscle in my thigh and maby pulled a ligament or somethin.  Hell, who knows....X-ray showed no cracked bones...Nothin.  Oh well....the beat goes on...

anyway...gettin old is fun as ****!!!:anim_lol:

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Hope Springs Eternal.   I hurt  my back in a car accident many years ago, (many!) A Cadillac hit me from behind while I was at a red light.  The Highway Patrol estimated he was doing more than 100 MPH when he hit me.  Knocked my Plymouth four door 36 feet through the air.  The mechanics tool box on the back seat hit me through the back of the front seat.  The radio knobs were in the seat next to me.  The battery sheared off the rocker arm assy on the left side.  Shortened my frame by 14 inches, hit me square.

My point for all the preceding is to establish the complaint of a "back injury".  It took 30/40 years but now I can do almost anything.  Pain meds helped but mostly I kept using it gently till it gradually got better.  I can climb ham radio towers now.

All this is to give you hope that eventually it may get better.  JUST DON'T OVERDUE IT!  There is hope.

Wonderful and innovative solution!  it works for me!

Thanks j-6. I know the pulled muscle will heal, just not on my time frame and already way behind the 8 Ball on getting things together. I'll have to say it goes really well with the rib cage injury. 9_9 It just would have had to really try to come along at a more inconvenient time. and a lot of things are hitting all at once. So much for the past few years of smooth sailing. LOL All things will pass.

It helps to come in here and blow off steam on occasion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LostinTexas said:

Thanks j-6. I know the pulled muscle will heal, just not on my time frame and already way behind the 8 Ball on getting things together. I'll have to say it goes really well with the rib cage injury. 9_9 It just would have had to really try to come along at a more inconvenient time. and a lot of things are hitting all at once. So much for the past few years of smooth sailing. LOL All things will pass.

It helps to come in here and blow off steam on occasion.

Many of us do the same thing and commiserate with you.:cheers:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, janice6 said:

Many of us do the same thing and commiserate with you.:cheers:

Bunch of SISSIES. walk it off :bowdown:  But, that said at my ripe old age (only 87) I consider myself VERY LUCKY...still holding it together.,,,, takes a while to get it all moving...but...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, janice6 said:

Yup.  That's the truth man.  Ya just gotta keep "Keepin On"!!  The alternative ain't "Swell" as my aunt would say. 

An old Arab told me..."Life without problems isn't living".  Simple but profound. 

My ******* buddy but it a little simpler.  "You didn't think you were gonna get outta 40 years of Linework, beatin your feet into poles all day without some sort of hip, knee or back problems down the road did ya?"

Well...yeah I did. :greensupergrin:  I'll be back.  Let me go play with the MRI thingie...

• Thanks 1

Dang, MRI's are fun!!  Like puttin your head inside a Bongo Drum for an hour...

The lady says..."Yeah, ya got somethin goin on in there..."  I had already read that major surgery's can cause something like this to happen, if there is already Underlying circumstances in the "place" to begin with.  I'm thinkin Hip replacement.  Read up on it some to sorta see what that entails, sounds like 2-3 months of fun.  

Any of ya had Hip replacement surgery you'd care to share a bit about your experience?  

Anyway..."Lets get this show on the road"...

• Like 1

The lady says..."Yeah, ya got somethin goin on in there..."  I had already read that major surgery's can cause something like this to happen, if there is already Underlying circumstances in the "place" to begin with.  I'm thinkin Hip replacement.  Read up on it some to sorta see what that entails, sounds like 2-3 months of fun.  

Any of ya had Hip replacement surgery you'd care to share a bit about your experience?  

I have a personal failure of knowing electronics design.  It happened because the U of M asked me to design a modification to an  MRI for some experiments they wanted to do.   It didn't come to pass.

The one time I went into an MRI the nurse seemed to be sure that I was claustrophobic.  I wasn't.  However when she said it would take "some time".  I laid there and closed my eyes.  As the magnet would ramp up and down I would visualize all the circuitry and how it was processing data.  I could see in my mind each function of the process and associate it with the state of the Superconducting magnet's location on the field ramp.

It must have worked because she reached in to jostle me to tell me it was over.

A good friend of mine installed MRI's for one manufacturer, and one day he told me on the way to work that he would be testing the operation of one he just installed at the Veterans Hospital.

Later in the afternoon I was testing a Superconducting Magnetic Sensor and picked up a slowly ramping field.  Turns out it was his MRI and he was testing at the time.  I was 20 miles away and had to stop the test till he was done since the signal he was generating in my sensor was so strong............  Those were fun times.

• Like 4

Yes they are. Should have given you head phones and played tunes for you. All mine did. They couldn't believe I fell asleep in the thing. Why not, wasn't doing anything.

Hard to believe the tech said anything. None of them usually do. Oh well, here's to it being a non issue. If is is, best wishes. I only have one hip replacement story that a friend went through. Choose your surgeon wisely.

• Thanks 3

I think I'm up to my 6th or 7th MRI.  I didn't used to have a problem with them.  I don't like small spaces, but I used to go caving just to prove I could keep it under control.  The last MRI I had, after they immobilized my head in the helmet thing and with all the padding around my neck and shoulders (all the MRIs have been brain or spinal cord related) and got me halfway into the tube, I had to make them take me out, un-immobilize me, sit up, turn around, feel the opening of the tube to prove it really was LARGE and  NOT SHRINKING, then re-immoblize me, LET ME SHUT MY EYES BEFORE GOING IN THE TUBE (so I couldn't see how close it was to my face), and then I was okay, mostly... and when I was getting unhappy, I made them change the music to Sabaton and it made it a lot better.   At least  better enough that I finished it. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I think I'm up to my 6th or 7th MRI.  I didn't used to have a problem with them.  I don't like small spaces, but I used to go caving just to prove I could keep it under control.  The last MRI I had, after they immobilized my head in the helmet thing and with all the padding around my neck and shoulders (all the MRIs have been brain or spinal cord related) and got me halfway into the tube, I had to make them take me out, un-immobilize me, sit up, turn around, feel the opening of the tube to prove it really was LARGE and  NOT SHRINKING, then re-immoblize me, LET ME SHUT MY EYES BEFORE GOING IN THE TUBE (so I couldn't see how close it was to my face), and then I was okay, mostly... and when I was getting unhappy, I made them change the music to Sabaton and it made it a lot better.   At least  better enough that I finished it. 

Could an open MRI be used for your needs? If it is available it might be explored. I've met people who have problems with then, especially when they immobilize.

Something to look in to. It is just a phobia isn't a very good answer to that sort of thing. Fear is a crappy emotion, but crappy none the less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Could an open MRI be used for your needs? If it is available it might be explored. I've met people who have problems with then, especially when they immobilize.

Something to look in to. It is just a phobia isn't a very good answer to that sort of thing. Fear is a crappy emotion, but crappy none the less.

Apparently, there are so many very fat people that need the one open MRI nearby because they literally can't fit in the closed one, that since I still fit in the closed one, I have to keep using it until I absolutely freak out and can't do it anymore.  I'm not that bad yet.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Apparently, there are so many very fat people that need the one open MRI nearby because they literally can't fit in the closed one, that since I still fit in the closed one, I have to keep using it until I absolutely freak out and can't do it anymore.  I'm not that bad yet.

Fat Bastards.

• Haha 1