How deep is your love?

Silentpoet

10 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

They had very old photographs of the Mormons (Brigham),  on top of a mountain,  with pick-axes and donkeys and 40-mule teams.

They were digging a hole.

Most people don’t realize the mine started as a mountain. They are just digging out a volcanic vent. All of downtown Salt Lake easily fits in the hole. 

222ADEB9-7F0E-4B27-B594-DEEA18645A6C.png

• Like 3

I worked at a +1000' stack in Ohio.

But it was so very new,  and a big rush-job.  They had no ladders or elevators yet.

So they had a Man-Lift,  which is probably against every rule,  ever made, by every agency.

They put you in a cage,  and a crane lifts you up, +1000',  and lowers you down into it.

I kind of like that ****,  so I was in.

But ....

The inside of the stack, was all full of structural steel beams.

So...

The basket kept hitting them (the crane-operator couldn't see you now,   we were just going off of radios,

And going, "STOP! STOP! STOP1",  while we were tilting sideways,  all hung up,  and the cable was going slack.

"BACK UP! BACK UP!"

"Ok go."

"STOP! STOP! STOP!"

And they said, "Did you finish up today?"

"No."

"So you'll be back tomorrow?"

"No."

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Have heard it suggested that if humanity through some terrible tragedy regresses to the Stone Age it cannot crawl back up as the [relatively] easily extracted natural resources will have been used up thus destroying the route. 

That was mentioned in the Ringworld novels. The inhabitants didn’t have much resources in the relatively shallow soil and lived a primitive life.

20 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Have read that some of the deep shafts and tunnels of the now inactive Homestake Mine are kept pumped out and used for exotic scientific research. 

"The Homestake experiment, conducted by astrophysicist Raymond Davis, Jr. in the late 1960s, provided the first evidence that the oscillation was taking place. The experiment’s purpose was to compare calculations made by John N. Bahcall of the rate of neutrino emission of the Sun with experimental evidence. A 10,000 gallon tank of perchloroethylene, a fluid used in dry­cleaning, was placed 4,850 feet underground in Homestake Gold Mine, South Dakota. The depth was required to filter out non­neutrino forms of solar radiation. Upon interaction with neutrinos, neutrons within the chlorine atoms of the perchloroethylene transformed into protons, creating argon gas. Every few weeks, helium was bubbled through the tanks to capture the formed argon. The number of atoms of argon was used to calculate the Sun's rate of neutrino emission. Unfortunately, the experimental calculations discovered significantly fewer neutrinos than the theoretical calculations predicted (Solar Neutrino Experiments),  dune.pdf (mbhs.edu)

• Like 1