Do we have any welders on the forum?

crockett

Alrighty.

I just finished the first 1/4" aluminum project. It's a headrest VESA mount for a 21" TV, for my minivan camper. I used 1 inch wide alu bar. Instead of trying to weld 1 inch beads and risking to burn through both ends, I just put blabs on it.

It's holding up, but its WAAAAAY too ugly to show lol

TIG welding is indeed not easy. The line between a fast puddle hot enough to feed the rod in and get moving, and overheating the material and ******* everything up, is very thin. Compared to MIG on steel, its different worlds.

I'll be busy learning this winter.

• Like 2

I parked my beloved truck outside the garage so that I have room and can practice TIG welding for the coming weeks.

After welding my first project together it became apparent how much learning I have to do.

And now I understand why my welder is so ******* expensive. It has countless settings, frequency goes up to 10,000 Hz, you can change the wave sine length / rounding / soft / hard / on and off slope and another 2 dozen settings.

Today I lowered the frequency from 120 back to 80 Hz, switched to square wave, changed that to soft on-ramp, and even lowered max amps to 210 for 1/4" aluminum. 

And all of the sudden it all comes together with the other suggestions made regarding paddle and speed control.

Today was the very first time I felt being in charge of the outcome.

I finally figured out how to produce clean and tight beads without any contamination, sagging, over or under-penetration.

Name:  20211112_181044[1].jpg Views: 0 Size:  174.0 KB

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 11:53 PM, Silentpoet said:

I have got a similar setup.

My tool arrived, and goes right back. Stupid disk only lasted for one tip, and it took 2 minutes to get it sharp, way too long. Guild is not tight and electrode wobbles, dust cap is so tight that you can't get it over the rubber ring. Once again, Chinese garbage.

I'll get a bench grinder with a dedicated diamond wheel.

20211113_225803[1].jpg

20211113_225749[1].jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crockett said:

My tool arrived, and goes right back. Stupid disk only lasted for one tip, and it took 2 minutes to get it sharp, way too long. Guild is not tight and electrode wobbles, dusk cap is so tight that you can't get it over the rubber ring. Once again, Chinese garbage.

I'll get a bench grinder with a dedicated diamond wheel.

20211113_225803[1].jpg

20211113_225749[1].jpg

This is the one I have used.  It is ok. The dedicated ones are way too expensive for my current situation.

https://smile.amazon.com/3mirrors-Electrode-Sharpener-Multi-Angle-Connecting/dp/B08F9YBCL2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2UWU3ZBA7ABR6&keywords=tungsten+sharpener&qid=1636945049&qsid=133-4905126-5593710&sprefix=tungsten+sh%2Caps%2C246&sr=8-3&sres=B08M3576GW%2CB08F9YBCL2%2CB08H5VV7SB%2CB07VWQ5553%2CB085ZKP5YC%2CB08M3R7CND%2CB09FN2N4ZX%2CB0933G9Q3L%2CB0989CCJ6M%2CB07KCNF417%2CB004OOZAN0%2CB018T1RW02%2CB0053451QG%2CB00Z7G5DUO%2CB076FC4PGB%2CB09B1NK231%2CB093D5LPL7%2CB07RHJ67PD%2CB08KJPGBGZ%2CB00375DEPI

• Like 1

Need a few more tools in order to complete my little fabrication corner in my garage, probably another 2.5k.

- dedicated grinder with diamond wheel for tungsten

- industrial grade belt sander

- metal miter saw

- drill press

For the first time in a while I'm REALLY excited to learn a couple new trades, properly. While I did some metalworking back in the day and know how to fabricate pieces, in my personal projects it was always some form of a workaround, usually with simple nuts and bolts, due to lack of the tools needed.

Once I have found a piece of land for my shop / house, I will add a nice mill.

• Like 1

I finally got back to practicing, after the kidney stone ordeal. First time I tried an outside single fillet corner joint.

Came to one conclusion today: it's all about getting a puddle fast and get going fast. Sticking around with low amps and heat-soaking the material is the enemy numbero uno!

Tack-welded the corner first.

1423698692_20211122_1954511.thumb.jpg.f8c9920337f624fbfba0554c53a81a4c.jpg

100624225_20211122_1955261.thumb.jpg.5440bf61476ee14fe09d5632b072906e.jpg

• Like 1

Trying to find a quality US made drill press. Not counting one company, there is none. Crazy. Even industrial customers buying the JUNK made in China! The US sold out, entirely.

This is the **** they offer here, made in China... ******* BELT driven...

2243cd65-024a-45b0-aa44-aef8be09cfd9.__C

This is a proper drill press:

205183-600x600.jpg

Made in Germany. Just contacted the manufacturer, trying to get one shipped over the pond. Also offered to become a partner and sell them here.

• Like 2

Buy a used USA made one. You can pick up a good Clausing for 1-3K There are others. Get a dial indicator and check it out in person if you can.

Last American made drill press I bought was built in 1944 and weighs 7500lbs. Slightly larger than needed for the home shop, so I put it in the main shop. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fog said:

Buy a used USA made one. You can pick up a good Clausing for 1-3K There are others. Get a dial indicator and check it out in person if you can.

Last American made drill press I bought was built in 1944 and weighs 7500lbs. Slightly larger than needed for the home shop, so I put it in the main shop. 

I spent many hours on a Clausing Vertical Mill  and a LeBlond Lathe.  Both were old but fantastic in performance.  My work was making original Microwave parts and amplifiers for my lab work with the lathe for very close tolerance coaxial amplifiers and transformers.  I loved them.

A vertical mill makes a very nice drill press.  Just don't drill or mill into the vise or the bed it's a sign for others that you won't want to get around.

3 hours ago, Fog said:

Just checked out a couple Clausing drill presses. Man that's indeed 2nd WW tech. I don't want anything with a spindle.

Still waiting on my quote from Germany.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 12:55 PM, crockett said:

kalamazoo-s4-belt-sander-1.gif

Sander arrived.

The US is in DEEP trouble. We are either forced to buy China **** or outdated old tech that isn't working right from day one. Mine can't be tracked on center, it either runs out or into the motor housing. A slight turn on the adjustment screw makes the belt run straight from one into the other direction. Zero middle ground. I think the upper part is completely out of alignment. Shipping box was not damaged, so this was not dropped. I bet they never tested it.

The instructional videos this company offers, are flat out retarded and useless.

It is mindboggling how the US could sell out to China and many of the few remaining US based manufacturers long stopped innovating or producing quality products.

It's a true sample why we are fucked all-around. Same can be seen in our infrastructure, military equipment, you name it. Everything is either micromanaged and over priced, or outdated and throw away solutions.