Do we have any welders on the forum?

crockett

We would drive the Caterpillar into the "pit",  the huge giant crater in the middle of the yard,  where we dumped all the tires, in the hole.

And the only reason we did was to knock down trees.

Hit a tree,  with a diesel  caterpillar forklift.  In the sand-ditch.

23 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Sorry. Maybe this one will stay large enough. 

1AFD2F9D-B559-4622-8D10-209DF5ECA2A7.jpeg

EXACTLY.  But...I could never do that. 

Everything I ever wired...I made it LOOK good. 

I din't want Linemen comin behind me and sayin..."What the **** kind of Lineman did this ****".  "Pride in Workmanship".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Buy what ya need for what ya gonna do  man. Ya ain't doin it for a livin...Ya don't need the "Best Fancy chit"...

Dude. I own a Redding 700 UltraMag, a Redding T7 turret, a Dillon 550, and a Dillon 1050. Guess how many rounds I reload a year, in average. Maybe 1,000.

I hate cheap ****, especially when it comes to tools.

• Like 2

My TIG is a Synchrowave 180 (Miller), My MIG is a 225 Amp Century.  It's surprising what good looking good welds you can get in Aluminum with a MIG.

For steel 1/8 and thicker, I use a .017" wire at the highest feed I have, a larger gap, and the current set at almost Max.  Weld slower, and it's a beautiful bead with excellent penetration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, janice6 said:

My TIG is a Synchrowave 180 (Miller), My MIG is a 225 Amp Century.  It's surprising what good looking good welds you can get in Aluminum with a MIG.

For steel 1/8 and thicker, I use a .017" wire at the highest feed I have, a larger gap, and the current set at almost Max.  Weld slower, and it's a beautiful bead with excellent penetration.

That's some quality equipment right there.

I just sent a request for a quote on a Fronius Magicwave 230i. They had a good sale going but are sold out. If I can get a great deal, I'm all set. MSRP is $5,500.

• Like 1

Just now, crockett said:

That's some quality equipment right there.

I just sent  request for a quote on that Fronius Magicwave 230i. They had a good sale going but are sold out. If I can get a great deal, I'm all set. MSRP is $5,500.

My son uses a Solid state Lincoln TIG.  I believe it's slightly over 200 Amp.  With pulse control you have finnesse that is re

• Like 1

Of the two the prime weld.  Right now in class I use a roughly 8-11K miller.  Very nice, but for all practical purposes for your plans the prime weld will do it.  The real limitation might be ultra thin stuff.  I don't think the prime weld has a stable arc below 10 amps if I recall.  So pop can welding might not happen.  But for most other purposes the prime weld will do I have seen it in videos from various professional welders. 

Look up welding tips and tricks on youtube.  Jodie or however you spell it has one imperial ass ton of tig welding videos that helped me greatly.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I asked Fronius if they could send me a deal 2 weeks ago and never thought I'd hear back, but they just sent an email. They will have a demo unit that should be ready in 10 days and she will give me a deal on it.

Regular price is $5,168 and I saw them offered as demos for below 3 grand. If I can get it for that price I'll jump on it.

I see myself fabricating all kinds of projects.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 10:03 PM, Swampfox762 said:

"Pretty" Always counts.  It's called Professionalism.  

When I ran ANY type of wire...Primary, secondary outside, or just "In house" ****...I ALWAYS made it "Good Lookin".

I personally never had a reason to learn the "Trade" of Welding, but I sure appreciate the Trade, and the Beauty of those that do the Liquid steel.

27 Surprisingly Satisfying Welding Photos That Prove Welders Are Artists

Very Nice! Looks like Walking the cup action there. 

I'm rather good at it. It's all about practice, practice, practice.  Have a Chinese mulit-process machine Everlast. It will do TIG and stick and is also a plasma cutter. I have a separate Lincoln 180 MIG machine. 

Never had school. Learned it from watching and listening to this guy.

Https://weldingtipsandtricks.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 8:47 PM, crockett said:

I asked Fronius if they could send me a deal 2 weeks ago and never thought I'd hear back, but they just sent an email. They will have a demo unit that should be ready in 10 days and she will give me a deal on it.

Regular price is $5,168 and I saw them offered as demos for below 3 grand. If I can get it for that price I'll jump on it.

I see myself fabricating all kinds of projects.

I've heard fronius isn't real user friendly.  No personal experience. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 5:50 PM, Huaco Kid said:

I took oxyacetylene classes in tech school.  Thin pieces of aluminum, for the tests.  Upside under, over your face.  You learn not to drip it.  Mine were pretty.

After,  in the salvage yard,  with an arc,  I could make **** stick together all day..

Pretty doesn't count there.

Just sticking.

Those are 'Gorilla Welds.' Ugly as ****, but strong.