Do we have any welders on the forum?

crockett

On 8/18/2021 at 6:51 PM, crockett said:

Anyways, this time around I want a TIG welder.

If you lived close to me I could make you a heck of a deal on the whole set up. Miller Tig welder 180 amp AC/DC high freq. w/ foot control. Half a bottle of argon that I own. 40 years of welding was enough and to almost quote Chief Joseph, "I will weld no more forever".

3 minutes ago, Inyo Tim said:

If you lived close to me I could make you a heck of a deal on the whole set up. Miller Tig welder 180 amp AC/DC high freq. w/ foot control. Half a bottle of argon that I own. 40 years of welding was enough and to almost quote Chief Joseph, "I will weld no more forever".

I used to weld MIG a long time ago on jobs between semesters. I miss being able to do certain projects and getting a proper TIG setup was long overdue. Can't wait for my Fronius to arrive next week. Still need a bottle, table, helmet gloves, consumables, etc.

• Like 1

My lovely welder got delayed right after pick up, then it got stranded on a highway in a broken down trailer on the way to the next hub, then it was lost in that hub for a day, the first hub never filed the bill of lading so they couldn't located it for another day, then I was told today its en-route to Orlando, and now I just found out that it is stuck / lost in the same ******* hub yet again.

What ever you do, never use XPO Logistics!

Cincinnati, OH
10/14/2021 - 7:34 PM
The shipment has been delayed en route to an interim service center.
Cincinnati, OH
10/14/2021 - 7:33 PM
Cincinnati, OH
10/13/2021 - 11:14 PM
The shipment is en route to an interim service center.
Cincinnati, OH
10/12/2021 - 9:51 PM
The shipment has arrived at an interim service center.
Richmond, IN
10/12/2021 - 8:32 PM
Richmond, IN
10/12/2021 - 9:42 AM
Plainfield, IN
10/12/2021 - 8:06 AM
Plainfield, IN
10/12/2021 - 6:21 AM
Chicago Heights, IL
10/11/2021 - 11:19 PM
Chicago Heights, IL
10/11/2021 - 9:45 PM
Chicago Heights, IL
10/11/2021 - 5:45 PM
The shipment has been picked up and recorded in our system by the origin service center.

13 minutes ago, crockett said:

My lovely welder got delayed right after pick up, then it got stranded on a highway in a broken down trailer on the way to the next hub, then it was lost in that hub for a day, the first hub never filed the bill of lading so they couldn't located it for another day, then I was told today its en-route to Orlando, and now I just found out that it is stuck / lost in the same ******* hub yet again.

What ever you do, never use XPO Logistics!

Cincinnati, OH
10/14/2021 - 7:34 PM
Cincinnati, OH
10/14/2021 - 7:33 PM
Cincinnati, OH
10/13/2021 - 11:14 PM
Cincinnati, OH
10/12/2021 - 9:51 PM
Richmond, IN
10/12/2021 - 8:32 PM
Richmond, IN
10/12/2021 - 9:42 AM
Plainfield, IN
10/12/2021 - 8:06 AM
Plainfield, IN
10/12/2021 - 6:21 AM
Chicago Heights, IL
10/11/2021 - 11:19 PM
Chicago Heights, IL
10/11/2021 - 9:45 PM
Chicago Heights, IL
10/11/2021 - 5:45 PM
The shipment has been picked up and recorded in our system by the origin service center.

You're NOT "chilling out" my friend...

I've tried too...Ya just can't give up life, and what's goin around ya.  It don't work like that. Ya can "Try" though, and "Think ya can"... 

AND...deal with what hits ya every day in the face.

Ya just gotta learn to deal with **** that comes at ya. Let it piss ya off, then..."Water off a duck"...It don't effect my LIFE.  It just pisses me off. Ya can't run away from life in your Magnificent Van my friend.  Though it sure is an Incredible Break.  However... Ya still gotta pay the KOA campground fees.,...once in awhile...

11 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

You're NOT "chilling out" my friend...

I've tried too...Ya just can't give up life, and what's goin around ya.  It don't work like that. Ya can "Try" though, and "Think ya can"... 

AND...deal with what hits ya every day in the face.

Ya just gotta learn to deal with **** that comes at ya. Let it piss ya off, then..."Water off a duck"...It don't effect my LIFE.  It just pisses me off. Ya can't run away from life in your Magnificent Van my friend.  Though it sure is an Incredible Break.  However... Ya still gotta pay the KOA campground fees.,...once in awhile...

I can deal with daily crap like that, because I can make a change, but crap like political news and countless death threads on a forum are 100% unhealthy no matter how you deal with it. Its a waste of life as well.

Why should I spend any nights at campgrounds? I can park that minivan literally everywhere. That's the whole idea behind boondocking.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

You know what sucks?

Breaking out the welder for the first time in about 3 years. Running a bead and hearing that lovely “Frying Bacon” sound. Finishing all the joints then wire brushing them all down. Then realizing I AM REALLY OUT OF PRACTICE!

All good strong joints but UGLY. 

But it did save me about $200 doing it myself. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

You know what sucks?

Breaking out the welder for the first time in about 3 years. Running a bead and hearing that lovely “Frying Bacon” sound. Finishing all the joints then wire brushing them all down. Then realizing I AM REALLY OUT OF PRACTICE!

All good strong joints but UGLY. 

But it did save me about $200 doing it myself. 

I can't wait to get it started. I wonder how much my little MIG and stick welding experiences from over 20 years ago is going to help me with TIG. Good thing that all my workpieces will be done on that table, right in-front of my face. No need to do anything crazy, mobile, over head, sideways or filling big gaps. It will be 90 degree joints on 1/4" alu for the most part. Down the road a few stainless pipes and brackets for car projects.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, crockett said:

I can't wait to get it started. I wonder how much my little MIG and stick welding experiences from over 20 years ago is going to help me with TIG. Good thing that all my workpieces will be done on that table, right in-front of my face. No need to do anything crazy, mobile, over head, sideways or filling big gaps. It will be 90 degree joints on 1/4" alu for the most part. Down the road a few stainless pipes and brackets for car projects.

Actually, I found that TIG welding for me was far closer to Gas Welding than my MIG was.

It's almost Gas welding with a torch that's hotter than hell.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, crockett said:

Added some alu sheets to the wall and shelving unit to keep any splatter / fire risk at bay. Splatter is not an issue with TIG but I'll get a dedicated MIG welder / plasma cutter at some point as well.

image.png.a86fefc383cd9ce5de351c8b18fe49d9.png

You can also spray antispatter on the table.  But I do like that table and your improvements.  I would consider welding blankets, but I like the aluminum.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

You can also spray antispatter on the table.  But I do like that table and your improvements.  I would consider welding blankets, but I like the aluminum.

Good tip. just ordered some Arcair Protex Extra Anti-Spatter Spray. Thanks!

• Like 2

I'm inclined to get a MIG welder / cutter right away, but not in the mood to spend another 7 grand on another Fronius.

YESWELDER came out with a new all-in-one that seems to be standing up to the big brands.

Retail price is $1,000 but they have a special at $850, and I found a discount code (MAKINGSTUFF) that works on-top of the lower price. Free shipping as well. Comes down to only $765.

https://yeswelder.com/products/firstess-mp200

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crockett said:

I'm inclined to get a MIG welder / cutter right away, but not in the mood to spend another 7 grand on another Fronius.

YESWELDER came out with a new all-in-one that seems to be standing up to the big brands.

Retail price is $1,000 but they have a special at $850, and I found a discount code (MAKINGSTUFF) that works on-top of the lower price. Free shipping as well. Comes down to only $765.

https://yeswelder.com/products/firstess-mp200

maxresdefault.jpg

I would avoid all in ones. Yeswelder is an ok brand though.  I just picked up a mig max from harbor freight.  I ran a full spool of their cheap wire that came with it.  Just running bead after bead.  I didn't hit duty cycle.

• Like 2

Top left weld is my 4th attempt. Lowered gas flow from 25 to 18 and moved the tungsten further into the cup. Too many turbulences at 25 and cup too far away from the material IMO. I only removed the torch to fast so the end got contaminated.

Name:  20211101_132502[1].jpg Views: 0 Size:  46.1 KB

• Thanks 1

Last and marked weld was the best yet. Found some good amp / AC ratio / frequency / CFM / cup size / tungsten length and angle settings.

image.png.2a0a64a3408f252af59d53b33a62428f.png

Then I tried to piece some 1/8th stuff together lol

My filler rods are to big for 1/8th. By the time they melt I have a hole in the base. Just got back from Home Depot with some 0.030" alu weld wire spool. Will use that as filler. Will melt much quicker.

image.png.0bb4564df6e093a3a801997e377824d9.png

• Like 1