My Surfing Finger Is Injured!!!

Eric

• Administrators

I was opening the case on a network router and a sharp edge on the chassis cut the tip of my left index finger like a razor. The good thing about such cuts is that they usually close right back up and heal quickly, with very little discomfort. The problem is, I surf with that finger. All of my time online is either on a MacBook Pro with a touchpad, or on an iPad or iPhone, with touch screens. Being a lefty, I use that left index finger almost exclusively to get around on my electronic devices and it is currently not at all happy about it. I can use another finger for navigating around, but it is awkward as hell to do so.

It is amazing how much any given part of your body gets bumped, rubs against something, etc every day, without you even being aware of it. That is, until you piss that area off.

First-World problems are a bitch, aren't they? :anim_lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I feel ya. I managed to cut several fingers in the past 3 months while working on the minivan, cleaning the range hood (same thin sheet metal), using box cutter to open mail, and, this is the kicker, cutting a piece of finger OFF while cutting my nails in the shower! It sucks. You take a shower... it burns. You wash your hands... it burns. You touch anything... it stings. After 7 to 10 days its all good and ya dumass cuts the next finger.

• Like 1

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, MO Fugga said:

I knew a mofo who grabbed a paint bucket lid, proceeded to rip that plastic strip off and get going. The lid flaps were sharp enough to cut his fingers to the bone. Damn near bled out.

The first time I rebuilt an automatic transmission (It was a Torqueflite 707), I cut two fingers to the bone on a ninety-degree ledge that the fluid pump sat on. Machined edges are damned sharp and they don't bother to break the edges on the internals of transmissions, it turns out. At first, I thought the blood was more transmission fluid. It didn't even hurt for several minutes. I wondered for a moment why the fluid was dark and opaque and then I figured it out. I put some blood and sweat into that transmission. That was the tranny out of the 1978 Ramcharger I used to have, back in the early nineties. I loved that old thing.

5 hours ago, Eric said:

I was opening the case on a network router and a sharp edge on the chassis cut the tip of my left index finger like a razor. The good thing about such cuts is that they usually close right back up and heal quickly, with very little discomfort. The problem is, I surf with that finger. All of my time online is either on a MacBook Pro with a touchpad, or on an iPad or iPhone, with touch screens. Being a lefty, I use that left index finger almost exclusively to get around on my electronic devices and it is currently not at all happy about it. I can use another finger for navigating around, but it is awkward as hell to do so.

It is amazing how much any given part of your body gets bumped, rubs against something, etc every day, without you even being aware of it. That is, until you piss that area off.

First-World problems are a bitch, aren't they? :anim_lol:

How MY mind works, Surfing....what would be the problem with "surfing" because you cut your finger....salt water ?? 😱

Ugh.  I can relate.  I have no idea how I did it, but I slashed my right thumb several days ago - it's going to leave a distinctive thumb print for awhile.  I'm doing a lot of canning and cooking right now, so. lot of dishwashing goes with that... and it stings every time - although at least it finally stopped opening back up yesterday.  Then, I managed to get bitten or stung by something on the pinky of the same hand - it blistered up and the skin tore right off, so now that's the stingy part.  I'm right handed - I need that hand for everything!  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, DAKA said:

Try explaining it to me  !!

small burr on the outside of the ball.  When holding it up right hand in finger holes, left hand supporting it, drug it across left hand, burr left a nice slice all across the palm of the left hand.

So yes, I managed to cut myself on a bowling ball.  I'm just that talented.

• Haha 1

A couple weeks ago,  I decided my car's radio wasn't getting very good reception.  I made sure the small roof antenna was screwed in tight.  It was.  I unscrewed it anyway to see if there might be any corrosion.  It looked ok. 

Then I decided it had too many dead bugs and bird turds on it, so I closed my hand around it and slid my fingers up it. 

It's made of fiberglass and is old and brittle.

I instantly got a gazillion microscopic fiberglass shards embedded in my hand, each one more stingingly painful than the last.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

At one point, I worked in QA for a company (WD) that made video chips and cards.  When all that mousing caught up to me, I started to develop carpal tunnel symptoms.  So, I switched from mousing with my right hand to mousing with my left.  After about a week, it felt comfortable.  After a month, it felt natural.  And, after a year, I developed a sore wrist on the left side and had to switch back to my right and I did not like it  at first.  Habits are weird things. 

• Like 1