Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

September 25th is National One-Hit Wonder Day
There is no hard and fast rule about what a one-hit wonder is but I say a one-hit wonder is a musical artist who is successful (Top 40) with one hit song, but without a comparable subsequent hit. Here are a few that I remember that are worth listening to, either because they kick butt or they are a hell of a novelty song. There are quite a few other one-hit wonders but my musical tastes are somewhat restricted and I can’t just like a song because it’s a one-hit wonder. (Example: Macarena by the Bayside Boys is a one-hit wonder, but NO!!!) These are one-hit wonders that appeal to me for one particular reason or another. Some of them are just awesome songs, some of them have a particular reminiscence to something and some are just funny. The next to the last two are not true one-hit wonders but they were real close and they are listed for their appeal to me. The last song is one I really enjoy, it is a one-hit wonder but I could never really catch the meaning of the song. I’ve heard a lot of ‘meanings’, some twisted, but never heard anything that really fit the lyrics. I’ve got to be able to understand a song to really enjoy it. I hope you enjoy some of these.
These are listed in no particular order.

Haddaway – "What Is Love"
Bobby McFerrin – "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
Edie Brickell & New Bohemians – "What I Am"
Naked Eyes - “Always Something There To Remind Me”
Tommy Tutone – "867-5309/Jenny"
Randy Newman - “Short People”
Dean Friedman – "Ariel"
Alan O'Day - “Undercover Angel”
Walter Murphy And The Big Apple Band - “A Fifth Of Beethoven”
Starland Vocal Band – "Afternoon Delight"
Terry Jacks - “Seasons In The Sun”
Paper Lace - “The Night Chicago Died”
Brownsville Station - “Smokin’ In The Boys Room”
King Harvest – "Dancing in the Moonlight"
Looking Glass – "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)"
Mungo Jerry – "In the Summertime"
Archies - “Sugar, Sugar”
Iron Butterfly – ”In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida”
The Youngbloods - “Get Together”
The Monotones - “Who Wrote The Book Of Love”
Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers - "Monster Mash"
Blue Swede - “Hooked on a Feeling"
Pilot - “Magic”
Thin Lizzy - “The Boys Are Back in Town"
Hot Chocolate - “You Sexy Thing”
Baha Men – "Who Let the Dogs Out?"
Lou Bega - “Mambo #5”
Wild Cherry - “Play That Funky Music”
Nick Guilder - “Hot Child In The City”
Meredith Brooks - “Bitch”
Steam - “Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye”
Modern English - “I Melt With You”
Tal Bachman - “She's So High” - Debra
The La’s - “There She Goes”
OMC – "How Bizarre"

The Main Ingredient - “Everybody Plays The Fool”
Turtles - “Happy Together”

The Wallflowers - “One Headlight”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Schmidt Meister said:

There is no hard and fast rule about what a one-hit wonder is but I say a one-hit wonder is a musical artist who is successful (Top 40) with one hit song, but without a comparable subsequent hit. Here are a few that I remember that are worth listening to, either because they kick butt or they are a hell of a novelty song. There are quite a few other one-hit wonders but my musical tastes are somewhat restricted and I can’t just like a song because it’s a one-hit wonder. (Example: Macarena by the Bayside Boys is a one-hit wonder, but NO!!!) These are one-hit wonders that appeal to me for one particular reason or another. Some of them are just awesome songs, some of them have a particular reminiscence to something and some are just funny. The next to the last two are not true one-hit wonders but they were real close and they are listed for their appeal to me. The last song is one I really enjoy, it is a one-hit wonder but I could never really catch the meaning of the song. I’ve heard a lot of ‘meanings’, some twisted, but never heard anything that really fit the lyrics. I’ve got to be able to understand a song to really enjoy it. I hope you enjoy some of these.

Dean Friedman – "Ariel"
Archies - “Sugar, Sugar”
Pilot - “Magic”
Lou Bega - “Mambo #5”
OMC – "How Bizarre"

I actually remember all of those   wasn't there one remem  mem remem remember    something like that?

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, DAKA said:

I actually remember all of those   wasn't there one remem  mem remem remember    something like that?

I am thrilled that you think I have that kind of a memory, LOL, but the only one-hit wonders with that many mmm's that I can remember are MMMbop by those kids and mmm mmm mmm mmm by the crash test dummies and that one should have been on the list. Did I even get close to what you were looking for?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I am thrilled that you think I have that kind of a memory, LOL, but the only one-hit wonders with that many mmm's that I can remember are MMMbop by those kids and mmm mmm mmm mmm by the crash test dummies and that one should have been on the list. Did I even get close to what you were looking for?

Found it   REMEMBER by the Earls...maybe not a one hit...(Geezze I can remember **** from the 50's but not yesterday)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DAKA said:

Found it   REMEMBER by the Earls...maybe not a one hit...(Geezze I can remember **** from the 50's but not yesterday)

Wow, you went back a ways, lol. That was from 1962. I may have heard it before but didn't 'Remember' it. I would be considered a one-hit wonder by my standards. They had other hits but never anything like that song.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Wow, you went back a ways, lol. That was from 1962. I may have heard it before but didn't 'Remember' it. I would be considered a one-hit wonder by my standards. They had other hits but never anything like that song.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Hey!  :miff:

Some of remember all of those songs, too, ya whippersnapper.

:fred:

:biggrin:

NB  I believe that Paper Lace charted with Billy, Don't Be A Hero, thus, The Night Chicago Died was not a one-hit wonder.

Just a mediocre tune.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Dean Friedman – "Ariel"
Archies - “Sugar, Sugar”
Pilot - “Magic”
Lou Bega - “Mambo #5”
OMC – "How Bizarre"

Ahhhhhhhh!  Those wonderful days before Pantyhose!  Remember after work when everyone had to scrape their windshields during winter?  The Cafeteria?

I'm so ashamed.................

A absolutely gorgeous young little Blond secretary for the Research department, would come to work in the winter with tall knee high boots on.  She would stand in the hallway on one foot, while wearing a miniskirt (before pantyhose) and pull her boots off one at a time..........  God!  it was wonderful!

Well, she complained to the Director of Research that guys were ogling her in the hallway when she took off her boots.  The director (in a bad position himself) said, would you be happier if I told all of them to ignore you?

She said "No.".

He said then I can't help you.......................................

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Don't know about y'all but this is one of the first medications that I can remember taking as a small child. There were several others but this was the earliest I can remember.

666 Double Action Cough Syrup - Monticello Drug Company - Jacksonville, FL.png

For me it was Tincture of Merthiolate.  I always needed first aide.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I like it even though it would be unacceptable under the United States Flag Code which establishes advisory rules for display and care of the national flag of the United States of America.

American Flag - Trees - Newtown, CT.jpg

Since ceremoniously burning the United States flag is now considered free speech where does the United States Flag Code fit?

7 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Ahhhhhhhh!  Those wonderful days before Pantyhose!  Remember after work when everyone had to scrape their windshields during winter?  The Cafeteria?

I'm so ashamed.................

A absolutely gorgeous young little Blond secretary for the Research department, would come to work in the winter with tall knee high boots on.  She would stand in the hallway on one foot, while wearing a miniskirt (before pantyhose) and pull her boots off one at a time..........  God!  it was wonderful!

Well, she complained to the Director of Research that guys were ogling her in the hallway when she took off her boots.  The director (in a bad position himself) said, would you be happier if I told all of them to ignore you?

She said "No.".

He said then I can't help you.......................................

He could have offered to help her take them off. 

• Haha 2

Just now, railfancwb said:

Since ceremoniously burning the United States flag is now considered free speech where does the United States Flag Code fit?

He could have offered to help her take them off. 

I'm sure he noticed at least a time or two...........

• Like 1