Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

4 hours ago, tous said:

Hey!  :miff:

Some of remember all of those songs, too, ya whippersnapper.

:fred:

:biggrin:

NB  I believe that Paper Lace charted with Billy, Don't Be A Hero, thus, The Night Chicago Died was not a one-hit wonder.

Just a mediocre tune.

Whippersnapper, LOL. BUT, about Paper Lace, they didn't chart in America with 'Billy, don't be a hero', I don't think.  Paper Lace's version of "Billy Don't Be a Hero" hit number one on the UK singles chart in 1974. The band made plans to release it in America but the song was covered and released by Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods. Their version was rushed out before Paper Lace could release and it hit number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 1 in Canada the same year. So, although Paper Lace had the chart-topper in the UK, its version stalled at #96 on the Billboard Hot 100. The Bo Donaldson version failed to chart at all in the UK. Although I didn't clarify about being an American one hit wonder, we are both correct. Billy, don't be a hero did chart, but not here. But damn good catch, my friend.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Since ceremoniously burning the United States flag is now considered free speech where does the United States Flag Code fit?

Well, the US Flag Code has never been "law." It's just a code that American Patriots have tried to enact to protect the sanctity of our flag. I try to live by it, but it's hard for me. I try to respect it as much as possible, but I always remember one little hottie that I met back in '76 who had an American flag string bikini in St. Augustine and according to the flag code that I learned in the Boy Scouts, that was mighty disrespectful .... BUT, try as I might, I can't find anything wrong with that in my heart, mind, or imagination from that day to this, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Some groups formed and dissolved with members going to other groups, so it is possible that an individual might have participated in several one hit wonders. In fairness, though, I have no examples. 

I am sure that you are correct. It HAD to have happened ... but if I start taking the research to that level, it won't be fun for me anymore. I just enjoy keeping up with my simple list and enjoying the tunes while trying to be as accurate as mediocre research will get me, lol.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Well, the US Flag Code has never been "law." It's just a code that American Patriots have tried to enact to protect the sanctity of our flag. I try to live by it, but it's hard for me. I try to respect it as much as possible, but I always remember one little hottie that I met back in '76 who had an American flag string bikini in St. Augustine and according to the flag code that I learned in the Boy Scouts, that was mighty disrespectful .... BUT, try as I might, I can't find anything wrong with that in my heart, mind, or imagination from that day to this, lol.

FBB29D79-B3F8-411B-A653-789A05F5CF52.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

42 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Kinda cheating… Apple Music will produce chunks of one hit wonders - their definitions - with a search. No individual titles yet, just groupings by decades and others. Haven’t opened any of the groupings to see individual titles. That would be definitely cheating. 

I think you ought to cheat, and copy what you find, and post it here ... oh, and tag me, lol.

• Like 1