Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

September 25th is National One-Hit Wonder Day

There is no hard and fast rule about what a one-hit wonder is but I say a one-hit wonder is a musical artist who is successful (Top 40) with one hit song, but without a comparable subsequent hit. Here are a few that I remember that are worth listening to, either because they kick butt or they are a hell of a novelty song.

Baha Men – "Who Let the Dogs Out?"

New Radicals – "You Get What You Give"

OMC – "How Bizarre"

Meredith Brooks - “Bitch”

The Wallflowers - “One Headlight”

Haddaway – "What Is Love"

95 South – "Whoop, There It Is"

Bobby McFerrin – "Don't Worry, Be Happy"

Edie Brickell & New Bohemians – "What I Am"

Naked Eyes - “Always Something There To Remind Me”

Tommy Tutone – "867-5309/Jenny"

Randy Newman - “Short People”

Dean Friedman – "Ariel"

Alan O'Day - “Undercover Angel”

Walter Murphy And The Big Apple Band - “A Fifth Of Beethoven”

Starland Vocal Band – "Afternoon Delight"

Terry Jacks - “Seasons In The Sun”

Paper Lace - “The Night Chicago Died”

Brownsville Station - “Smokin’ In The Boys Room”

King Harvest – "Dancing in the Moonlight"

Looking Glass – "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)"

Mungo Jerry – "In the Summertime"

Archies - “Sugar, Sugar”

Iron Butterfly – ”In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida”

The Youngbloods - “Get Together”

The Monotones - “Who Wrote The Book Of Love”

Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers - "Monster Mash"

Blue Swede - “Hooked on a Feeling"

Pilot - “Magic”

Thin Lizzy - “The Boys Are Back in Town"

Hot Chocolate - “You Sexy Thing”

Carl Douglas - “Kung Fu Fighting”

12 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

September 25th is National One-Hit Wonder Day

There is no hard and fast rule about what a one-hit wonder is but I say a one-hit wonder is a musical artist who is successful (Top 40) with one hit song, but without a comparable subsequent hit. Here are a few that I remember that are worth listening to, either because they kick butt or they are a hell of a novelty song.

Baha Men – "Who Let the Dogs Out?"

New Radicals – "You Get What You Give"

OMC – "How Bizarre"

Meredith Brooks - “Bitch”

The Wallflowers - “One Headlight”

Haddaway – "What Is Love"

95 South – "Whoop, There It Is"

Bobby McFerrin – "Don't Worry, Be Happy"

Edie Brickell & New Bohemians – "What I Am"

Naked Eyes - “Always Something There To Remind Me”

Tommy Tutone – "867-5309/Jenny"

Randy Newman - “Short People”

Dean Friedman – "Ariel"

Alan O'Day - “Undercover Angel”

Walter Murphy And The Big Apple Band - “A Fifth Of Beethoven”

Starland Vocal Band – "Afternoon Delight"

Terry Jacks - “Seasons In The Sun”

Paper Lace - “The Night Chicago Died”

Brownsville Station - “Smokin’ In The Boys Room”

King Harvest – "Dancing in the Moonlight"

Looking Glass – "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)"

Mungo Jerry – "In the Summertime"

Archies - “Sugar, Sugar”

Iron Butterfly – ”In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida”

The Youngbloods - “Get Together”

The Monotones - “Who Wrote The Book Of Love”

Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers - "Monster Mash"

Blue Swede - “Hooked on a Feeling"

Pilot - “Magic”

Thin Lizzy - “The Boys Are Back in Town"

Hot Chocolate - “You Sexy Thing”

Carl Douglas - “Kung Fu Fighting”

Some Damn good ones there...even if they were..."One hit wonders".  I loved em!!!

• Like 1

The History Of The Oreo And Hydrox Cookie Rivalry

Cream-filled and chocolatey, Oreo cookies have long reigned supreme as the go-to sandwich cookie on supermarket shelves, but they've become much more than that, they're a bona fide American icon. By 2017, with more than 40 billion Oreos produced every year, raking in more than $2 billion annually, they were hailed as "the best-selling cookie brand of the 21st century" by its manufacturers, Mondelez International.

So it might surprise some fans that Oreos were once considered copycats. Though they were created more than 100 years ago, in 1912, they were actually the second of its kind to hit the market. The original was launched by a company called Sunshine Biscuits in 1908, unfortunately named Hydrox, a misplaced mashup of hydrogen and oxygen, which was supposed to suggest "purity of product" (via Atlas Obscura).

Aside from the general concept (dark chocolaty cookies sandwiching a cream center), the Hydrox cookie also sported a floral-type pattern, but when Oreos hit the scene to compete, it was the original that would eventually become the underdog.

According to Insider, Oreos were introduced by the National Biscuit Company (later Nabisco), as "highest class biscuits." But they did not immediately overtake Hydrox. That process took decades, as the two competing manufacturers engaged in "biscuit wars," with Hydrox warning customers of "imposters" and Nabisco execs stubborn enough to absorb losses on the then-unsuccessful Oreo (via Serious Eats). But, with a redesign and aggressive ad campaign (plus a price hike), sales turned around for Oreos in the mid-1950s.

As Serious Eats explains, Sunshine soon went belly-up, and Hydrox was eventually destined for the dustbin of history, but not before being traded around to companies like American Tobacco Company, Keebler, and Kellogg's. Keebler attempted to fix the unfortunate name issue by rebranding as Droxies, but the damage was done, only two years after Kellogg's assumed ownership in 2001, Hydrox was off the market (via Atlas Obscura).

Oreos, meanwhile, stormed ahead with a slew of innovations over the years: Oreo flavors (including "mystery" ones), tie-ins with McDonald's, Double Stuf and Supreme varieties, even glitter-filled versions in 2020.

In 2019, Oreos set a new net-revenue record of $3.1 billion, with 92 million cookies sold per day throughout 100-plus countries (via Mondelez International). But Hydrox, in a twist of fate, returned to wage war again, this time, teaming up with Amazon (via Digital Commerce 360). And, so far, the battle hasn't been any prettier the second time around.

Leaf Brands, which reintroduced Hydrox in 2015, throws not-so-subtle shade toward Oreos on its website, saying, "don't eat a knock-off," and pointing out that its cookies are darker chocolate and crunchier, with a less-sweet filling. The company also calls attention to using real cane sugar (Oreos contain high-fructose corn syrup), plus a "cleaner label," sans hydrogenated oils, artificial flavors, and GMOs.

In 2016, Leaf Brands even released a statement asserting that Hydrox keeps jobs in the United States via manufacturing, while Mondelez International was laying off U.S. workers in favor of moving some production to a Mexico-based plant. This was in response to President Trump criticizing the makers of Oreo for taking manufacturing outside the country, and Hydrox promptly slapped a stamp on packaging that proclaims, "Proudly made in the USA," next to the American flag.

The reintroduction appeared to pay off, with Bakeryandsnacks.com reporting that sales of Hydrox grew by 2,406 percent from 2016 to 2017, amassing more than $492,000 in sales, clearly, still light-years away from Oreo's overwhelming dominance in the market, but impressive progress nonetheless.

In another bizarre twist, President Trump made a second appearance in Hydrox's history for 2020, as The Wall Street Journal proclaimed that, possibly due to President Trump's talk of hydroxychloroquine for treating COVID-19, Google searches of Hydrox cookies were soaring.

With so much back-and-forth bitterness behind the cookie-sandwich scenes, taste testers have compared the two many times. A reviewer with Food Crumbles found they "taste very different," with the Oreo cookie described as "a little more bitter" and "less like chocolate," while the Hydrox was perceived to have a less-sweet filling and improved crunchiness (just as the makers proclaim)

In a Kotaku "showdown" between the cookies, Hydrox was applauded for a "smoother creme that's got a subtle tang and a bit less cloying sweetness ... Hydrox's creme is less spackley." For the cookies themselves, Hydrox had a "stronger chocolate scent and a more pronounced cocoa taste," with Oreo being "lighter and more prone to crumbling. It's slightly sweeter."

Hydrox - Vs Oreos.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

The History Of The Oreo And Hydrox Cookie Rivalry

Cream-filled and chocolatey, Oreo cookies have long reigned supreme as the go-to sandwich cookie on supermarket shelves, but they've become much more than that, they're a bona fide American icon. By 2017, with more than 40 billion Oreos produced every year, raking in more than $2 billion annually, they were hailed as "the best-selling cookie brand of the 21st century" by its manufacturers, Mondelez International.

So it might surprise some fans that Oreos were once considered copycats. Though they were created more than 100 years ago, in 1912, they were actually the second of its kind to hit the market. The original was launched by a company called Sunshine Biscuits in 1908, unfortunately named Hydrox, a misplaced mashup of hydrogen and oxygen, which was supposed to suggest "purity of product" (via Atlas Obscura).

Aside from the general concept (dark chocolaty cookies sandwiching a cream center), the Hydrox cookie also sported a floral-type pattern, but when Oreos hit the scene to compete, it was the original that would eventually become the underdog.

According to Insider, Oreos were introduced by the National Biscuit Company (later Nabisco), as "highest class biscuits." But they did not immediately overtake Hydrox. That process took decades, as the two competing manufacturers engaged in "biscuit wars," with Hydrox warning customers of "imposters" and Nabisco execs stubborn enough to absorb losses on the then-unsuccessful Oreo (via Serious Eats). But, with a redesign and aggressive ad campaign (plus a price hike), sales turned around for Oreos in the mid-1950s.

As Serious Eats explains, Sunshine soon went belly-up, and Hydrox was eventually destined for the dustbin of history, but not before being traded around to companies like American Tobacco Company, Keebler, and Kellogg's. Keebler attempted to fix the unfortunate name issue by rebranding as Droxies, but the damage was done, only two years after Kellogg's assumed ownership in 2001, Hydrox was off the market (via Atlas Obscura).

Oreos, meanwhile, stormed ahead with a slew of innovations over the years: Oreo flavors (including "mystery" ones), tie-ins with McDonald's, Double Stuf and Supreme varieties, even glitter-filled versions in 2020.

In 2019, Oreos set a new net-revenue record of $3.1 billion, with 92 million cookies sold per day throughout 100-plus countries (via Mondelez International). But Hydrox, in a twist of fate, returned to wage war again, this time, teaming up with Amazon (via Digital Commerce 360). And, so far, the battle hasn't been any prettier the second time around.

Leaf Brands, which reintroduced Hydrox in 2015, throws not-so-subtle shade toward Oreos on its website, saying, "don't eat a knock-off," and pointing out that its cookies are darker chocolate and crunchier, with a less-sweet filling. The company also calls attention to using real cane sugar (Oreos contain high-fructose corn syrup), plus a "cleaner label," sans hydrogenated oils, artificial flavors, and GMOs.

In 2016, Leaf Brands even released a statement asserting that Hydrox keeps jobs in the United States via manufacturing, while Mondelez International was laying off U.S. workers in favor of moving some production to a Mexico-based plant. This was in response to President Trump criticizing the makers of Oreo for taking manufacturing outside the country, and Hydrox promptly slapped a stamp on packaging that proclaims, "Proudly made in the USA," next to the American flag.

The reintroduction appeared to pay off, with Bakeryandsnacks.com reporting that sales of Hydrox grew by 2,406 percent from 2016 to 2017, amassing more than $492,000 in sales, clearly, still light-years away from Oreo's overwhelming dominance in the market, but impressive progress nonetheless.

In another bizarre twist, President Trump made a second appearance in Hydrox's history for 2020, as The Wall Street Journal proclaimed that, possibly due to President Trump's talk of hydroxychloroquine for treating COVID-19, Google searches of Hydrox cookies were soaring.

With so much back-and-forth bitterness behind the cookie-sandwich scenes, taste testers have compared the two many times. A reviewer with Food Crumbles found they "taste very different," with the Oreo cookie described as "a little more bitter" and "less like chocolate," while the Hydrox was perceived to have a less-sweet filling and improved crunchiness (just as the makers proclaim)

In a Kotaku "showdown" between the cookies, Hydrox was applauded for a "smoother creme that's got a subtle tang and a bit less cloying sweetness ... Hydrox's creme is less spackley." For the cookies themselves, Hydrox had a "stronger chocolate scent and a more pronounced cocoa taste," with Oreo being "lighter and more prone to crumbling. It's slightly sweeter."

Hydrox - Vs Oreos.jpg

Was ALWAYS my Favorite cookie.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

If you're talking about the Hydrox, I preferred it over Oreo big time, but until recently, I couldn't find them. Only in the last year have they been in the local stores. The flavor is so much better to me.

Seriously??? WHAT Local Store???  All I found was this.  And I checked on Amazon and nada...

After years of dormancy, Hydrox cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies are coming back. The cookies, which predate Oreo, could challenge its former rival and are available only via pre-order on Amazon.com. Hydrox is scheduled for release Sept. 25.Sep 28, 2020

37 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Seriously??? WHAT Local Store???  All I found was this.  And I checked on Amazon and nada...

After years of dormancy, Hydrox cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies are coming back. The cookies, which predate Oreo, could challenge its former rival and are available only via pre-order on Amazon.com. Hydrox is scheduled for release Sept. 25.Sep 28, 2020

I'll have to ask my wife, I didn't actually purchase the cookies. I think she said something about ShopRite but as soon as she gets home I'll ask. They've actually been making them since 2019. You can buy them in CA where the first new manufacturing plant is located.

CORRECTION: She bought them at Wal-Mart in Lake City FL. She said they don't have them very often which means there must be production problems or they don't sell well at that store.

• Sad 1

There is a town in north Florida, within an hours drive from me that is named Mayo, after Confederate Colonel James Mayo. They changed the town name to Miracle Whip and held two or three days of festivities and giveaways before changing the name back. They actually changed the signs and the name on the water tower.

https://www.southernliving.com/news/mayo-florida-changes-name-to-miracle-whip

Miracle Whip Florida Water Tower.jpg

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I'll have to ask my wife, I didn't actually purchase the cookies. I think she said something about ShopRite but as soon as she gets home I'll ask. They've actually been making them since 2019. You can buy them in CA where the first new manufacturing plant is located.

CORRECTION: She bought them at Wal-Mart in Lake City FL. She said they don't have them very often which means there must be production problems or they don't sell well at that store.

Well, If she ever runs into them again, I'll Take 2!!!  Mail em to me!!!:anim_lol:  I'll Pay ya!!!  I'm Diabetic, so a couple once in awhile would be Ok.

Damn I loved those things!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1