Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

Because of the upcoming turkey holiday I thought you guys might enjoy seeing one of the more beautiful turkeys on this planet. When I grew turkeys, we had 2 toms and 5 females and they were awesome but they were extremely hard to locate and pretty expensive.

The Ocellated Turkey (Meleagris ocellata) is the gaudier tropical cousin of the world's only other turkey species, our familiar North American bird.

A relative of the North American wild turkey (Meleagris gallopavo), it was sometimes previously treated in a genus of its own (Agriocharis), but the differences between the two turkeys are currently considered too small to justify generic segregation. It is a relatively large bird, at around 28–48 in. long and an average weight of 6.6 lbs. in females and 11 lbs. in males.

Watching a strutting male display is like seeing a Wild Turkey through a colorized filter: The baby-blue head is dotted with red and orange wart-like bumps. Metallic body feathers shimmer in colors from electric blue to green, growing more vivid on wings also banded with bronzy-orange and white. Its striking tail recalls the peacock's famous plumes. (In Spanish, this bird is sometimes called “pavo real”, a term both for peacock and “royal turkey.”)

Unlike its northern relative, the Ocellated Turkey does not have a broad range. It's only found on the Yucatán Peninsula, which embraces a few Mexican states, the northern half of Belize, and Guatemala's northern Petén region. Despite its size and eye-popping plumage, this bird lurks mostly unseen amid thick foliage.

The word “ocellated” derives from Latin for “having eye-like markings.” In the turkey's case, this refers to rows of large metallic-blue and orange spots on its tail feathers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Haven't seen that I don't think. Unless you're talking about the "I am not an animal" movie whatever the name was?

Dude....I'm blown away....You've never heard of it... Here sir...Enjoy. 

https://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Parts-Movie-Robert-Ackerman/dp/B000009OV2

Here's a "Tidbit"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch

3 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

This father cooked a small chicken inside the turkey and then grossed out his girls, who are obviously not knowledgeable in the reproductive systems of birds, telling them that it was pregnant.

1572111828_PregnantCookedTurkey.gif

Some “jokes” have negative impact that lasts a lifetime. A friend’s relative scared her with some birds and to this day she is very frightened of them. 

6 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Some “jokes” have negative impact that lasts a lifetime. A friend’s relative scared her with some birds and to this day she is very frightened of them. 

Well, I've pulled some 'pranks' before but I never let the prank go on and on. I'm hoping that the man was caring enough to explain the prank after the laughing/horror died down. I'm sure it wouldn't have taken but 5 minutes to explain that birds lay eggs, not give live birth. I think the one girl who stayed at the counter was already realizing that something wasn't kosher. I'm thankful that we weren't so sensitive in my youth that we let things like this ruin our lives. I'm sure you're right, that there are some uncaring, unfeeling a$$holes out there that wouldn't reveal the truth after the fact but I think most parents wouldn't be such arsewipes and would bring their kids to an understanding of the workings of a 'prank.' But I get where you're coming from. 

• Like 1

In light of the fact that we just celebrated Thanksgiving and everybody has enjoyed turkey meals, I thought I would post this collection of turkey tails and turkey tail funguses(?) Just how my mind wanders.

We have a LOT of these in Florida. They are everywhere. The Turkey Tail fungus is a very common mushroom in North American woods, generally found on fallen logs or tree stumps year round, preferring wet, shady areas, although they can also be found on living trees. They can live on over 70 different genera of hardwood trees and several conifers in the United States.

Turkey Tails.jpg

Turkey Tail Fungus - 1.jpg

Turkey Tail Fungus - 2.jpg

Turkey Tail Fungus - 3.jpg

Turkey Tail Fungus - 4.jpg

Turkey Tail Fungus - 5.jpg

Turkey Tail Fungus - 6.jpg

Wild Turkey - .jpg