Interesting and funny Facts

Swampfox762

8 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

If memory serves, century years - such as 2000 - do not get the extra day. A “give back” of the extra 44 minutes and 56 seconds added each February 29. 

It’s what you learn after you think you know it all which really counts. Century years divisible by 400 ARE leap years. Thus 2000 was a leap year. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

160 Factoids ideas in 2021 | fun facts, wtf fun facts, weird facts

12 cents seems pretty high for a .45 cartridge (or any cartridge) in the "old west". Then again, it seems high for a glass of whiskey, too. I'd say a penny or two for either (which still supports your theory). OTOH, there are other claims out there for how these glasses came to be called shot glasses. I like the one about a drink of whiskey being called a shot before the glasses came about, and them being so named because they held one good drink.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 2:52 PM, Swampfox762 said:

WTF Fun Fact - Bleu de Genes in 2021 | Interesting facts about world, Cool  science facts, Weird facts

Removing in water was improved by making the legs bell bottoms.  Tie the legs shut and scoop air in the waist, then tie the waist and you have a life preserver.  (Navy Blue Jackets Manual).

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Removing in water was improved by making the legs bell bottoms.  Tie the legs shut and scoop air in the waist, then tie the waist and you have a life preserver.  (Navy Blue Jackets Manual).

We had to do that in lifeguard school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, NPTim said:

That and tread water for 20-30 minutes without using hands, while clothed. Rubbed my nipples until they bled.

Yep. Theoretically, once you master drownproofing you can survive in the water until you starve to death, or something eats you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

12 cents seems pretty high for a .45 cartridge (or any cartridge) in the "old west". Then again, it seems high for a glass of whiskey, too. I'd say a penny or two for either (which still supports your theory). OTOH, there are other claims out there for how these glasses came to be called shot glasses. I like the one about a drink of whiskey being called a shot before the glasses came about, and them being so named because they held one good drink.

Ammo was expensive. So were firearms. A box of ammo could cost a cowboy a months wages, or close. Wasting ammo was a disgrace and an expensive habit. The price for either? I can't say, but $6 was a lot of money in those days. 50 rounds @ 12¢ each.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Ammo was expensive. So were firearms. A box of ammo could cost a cowboy a months wages, or close. Wasting ammo was a disgrace and an expensive habit. The price for either? I can't say, but $6 was a lot of money in those days. 50 rounds @ 12¢ each.

I've seen contemporary price lists of a dollar for a box of 50. And a dime for a shot of rotgut seems like a lot.